I have a question...

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
for all of you that breed currently or have breed. I am debating on weather to go ahead and breed my mare like planned or maybe pull an egg and place the embryo in another mare since we have are going to qualify next year or if I should just by a yearling out of the stallion I like. A lot of my decision is based on cost. If it cost just as must to breed as it does to buy a yearling I will probably just buy the yearling. Let me know what you guys think. I'm curious as to foaling out cost, cost the duration of the pregnancy, etc.

TIA

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Actually with the current market it will probably cost you less to buy a yearling by the stallion you like than to breed and care for your mare and foal. You'll also have a two year head start. (11 month gestation and 1 year to yearling)

highnote

agreed- buying a yearling is normally much cheaper in the long run than breeding your own mare, especially if you need an embryo transfer. Plus its less risky, because you'll know what you are getting. A lot can go wrong in the two years it takes to get from conception to yearling.

Last edited:

Duckz

agreed- buying a yearling is normally much cheaper in the long run than breeding your own mare, especially if you need an embryo transfer. Plus its less risky, because you'll know what you are getting. A lot can gop wrong in the two years it takes to get from conception to yearling.

:yeahthat:

I'll fourth that - buy a yearling from the stallion you like. MUCH cheaper. Or, if you want to go even cheaper than that and have the joys of a foal, buy a weanling!

Here are some costs you can expect if you opt for breeding your mare:
$500+ just to get your mare pregnant (vet fees, call charges, ultrasounds, insemination, hormone treatments)
$3500 for the embryo transfer - and, keep in mind it may not actualy take, meaning you'd have to breed again.
$Stud fee - don't know who the lucky boy is, but expect around $1000 or more.
11 months worth of board for new recipient mare
In addition to what you normally do for deworming and vaccinating, add in 3 shots of Pneumabort K at months 5, 7 and 9 of pregnancy plus a full round of vaccines at month 10.
Foaling out fees at most barns cost about $350
Board for mare AND foal (usually 1 1/2 normal board until foal is weaned, then, depending on whether or not you own your recip mare, board for 2) for 4-6 months post-foaling.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Interesting question, made me curious so I looked up some info. Here's a contract w/ fees...

http://www.alliancestud.com/pdf/EmbryoTransferContract.pdf

Looks like an easy 6k not including regular vet care for the recipient mare, an array of meds and the fees/process for harvesting your own mare.

Yowzer! It would have to be a world-class mare to justify all that.

Sounds like you should contact an equine fertility clinic to get specific fees so you can decide.

BlissfulJumper

Thank you everyone for your input. When I posted I had figured buying a yearling would be the cheapest bet. I would love the idea of buying a weanling from this stud but the one weanling is 12500 already!
Horsehugger your info on prices and what I would need thru the pregnancy really helped! The only reason I was considering an embryo in a recip mare is because we will be shooting for AQHA world next year and would be cutting it close on time. I think the stud fee is the cheapest part in this adventure! Looks like I will buy a yearling and shoot for the futurities next year which will be nice not having to wait!

And for those of you wondering about the stud his name is "these irons are hot" and I might possibly look into foals by "hot ones only"

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I would buy a yearling too because of market prices...but if you decide to breed and still want to show breed so you can wean in time..I personally have always weaned at 12 weeks...I have never had and problems...I have weaned many many babies at that age..

Robin

I bought a un-born from the blood lines we wanted. So much Cheaper, and less hassle and by far saved thousands in vetting. The sale would only go through at weaning time if said horse was sound and no health issues.
Transaction went smooth and would definitly purchase another from same farm.:buddies:

BlissfulJumper

Okay let me guys ask you one more question. The yearling I'm looking at is $8500 which is all based off of bloodlines and how his siblings are doing. Would you say that $8500 is equal to what it would cost me to breed my mare and all the maintenance for her.

For those of you who have bred your own mares, what did this little adventure run you? I know it will vary because of different vet cost and stud fees, etc.

I know the stud fee for my mare will be $2000 plus a $250 shipping container cost then I was thinking I would have at least 5 ultrasounds throughout the pregnancy which will probably run about $300 a piece. Then other mare maintenance. Am I on the right track here?

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Personally what I would do is buy the yearling..

Having a baby born is a lot of work. What happened if momma stepped on baby by mistake and caused him to be lame for life? I know it is a lot of what if's but that is stuff to think about.

highnote

The weanling/yearling $8500 is most likely cheaper than it would take to breed your own. And less risky.

Remember you can pay the vet fees, stud fees, mare care, etc and still lose the foal (or just fail to get her pregnant). You can retry without paying the stud fee again, but all the shipping, ultrasound, vet, care costs will need to be paid all over again.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Not only that, with all of the risks involved, but it reallly IS cutting it very close if you are trying to throw your show calendar into the mix. Definitely buy the yearling, and wait to breed your mare when it's more time convenient. A setback on showing alone makes me regret breeding when I did, but now that's all done and over with and I'm happy with the results. :yahoo:
It'll just be better to wait when you don't have a timeline, despite all costs involved. And it would be cheaper to buy the yearling/weanling..

BlissfulJumper

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks buying a yearling would be cheaper in the long run.
Trying to qualify with a pregnant mare would probably be very difficult and put alot of stress on her and the baby.

so it looks like I will ride my mare this year and next and buy the yearling soon and start showing him next year in the futurities! :yahoo:

highnote

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks buying a yearling would be cheaper in the long run.
Trying to qualify with a pregnant mare would probably be very difficult and put alot of stress on her and the baby.

so it looks like I will ride my mare this year and next and buy the yearling soon and start showing him next year in the futurities! :yahoo:

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck!

Duckz

Fun! Which yearling are you going to get? Pictures!! :)

BlissfulJumper

Fun! Which yearling are you going to get? Pictures!! :)

Duckz.. I have no idea!!! I really want one out of These Irons are Hot.
If you go to this page..

2009 Prospects At Gumz Farms

I really like "Steadman" & "Johnie"

But if you go to the 2010 babies...
2010 Foals For Sale

I also like...
"Sandy"
"Strappy" ( which is the one they are asking $12,500 for :shocked: but with his lines he is probably worth every penny just not to me!)
"Gretta" ( She is cute but the "LUKE" lines have horrid training manners"

So many possibilities! I think what I am going to do is just patiently watched foals and yearlings and maybe some 2 year olds and see how prices go with stallions I like. "Steadman has a full brother that is starting to show this summer with a trainer I know so I am going to watch him carefully and see how it all goes. Who knows maybe I'll buy one at the Congress!

BlissfulJumper

What a BIG Qh stallion!

(drooling...)

He is HUGEE and all of his offspring are normally atleast 16.2 exactly the height I am looking for 16.2 to 17.

Another nice one is "Hot Ones Only" he's a 3 year stud... BEAUTIFUL MOVER a little heavy on the front but not terrible. Between his 2 year old congress and his 3 year old i think he's won 8 congress champs. Great horse but I want to see some successful offspring first

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Last year mares in foal to T I R H were selling 6 months pregnant for about 3k. Maybe you can find one in foal already...or make a low offer on the yearlings.