I need 15 minutes with a good table saw...

Hessian

Using my 30 year old circular "just won't cut it."
I have a 40+/- inch beam that I need to cut 2 perfect slits in...2 inches deep-along the whole length.
(Making an axle for an old cart)

Once the slits are in,...I'll chisel out the center & install the iron axle.

Will gladly compensate for your time
PM if you have 20 minutes to make the cuts.
Best if I could get this done soon!
Thanks

willie

Did you consider clamping a 1x to the beam as a guide for your 30 YO saw? Even if it wobbles, it should make an acceptable cut.

Hessian

Desert....
I had my doubts about the size of a router to knock a 2x2 inch gouge out of a cedar beam...
Since I have ZERO background with routers,...I am open to it --just didn't know if it could handle the size.

Williie...I could try that,...& set my depth for 3+ inches(don't know if the adjustment allows for that depth)--but whoa,...circular saw might NOT be happy with me!

hooknline

consider contacting any high school that has a vo-tech (or what ever they call it now) and ask to be transfered to the shop teacher or gain his email.

Pete

Repete
Desert....
I had my doubts about the size of a router to knock a 2x2 inch gouge out of a cedar beam...
Since I have ZERO background with routers,...I am open to it --just didn't know if it could handle the size.

Williie...I could try that,...& set my depth for 3+ inches(don't know if the adjustment allows for that depth)--but whoa,...circular saw might NOT be happy with me!

It would for the width easy, 2 inches of depth might be tough

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Desert....

Why would you set your blade depth to 3" if you desire a 2" deep trough? :confused:

Hessian

That one inch tracking lath...I initially thought it would have to ride ON TOP of the lath,...now I realize it could just track along side...

A better alternative to making two straight cuts with a straight blade and chiseling it out is to use a dado blade. It will make the trough in a couple of easy passes. I think I have one somewhere..... but don't have a table saw anymore.

Cut-the-notches-with-a-dado-blade-in-the-table-saw-6-pergola-design.jpg

Hessian

Whoa....that looks like the right depth(where's the sawdust?),...just flip it 90 degrees to run down the length. I'm kind of surprised we don't have any wood-shop guys that can rip this project out.

Desert....

I have one 2" long and 1/2" wide. I wouldn't cut 2" all at once, probably 1/2" at a time. Multiple passes to get it to 2" wide. A table saw with a dado blade would be much faster. Still wouldn't do 2" at once though, take it easy on the saw. Mine isn't all that great or I would offer. And again even with the circular maybe 1" per pass.

BOP

Whoa....that looks like the right depth(where's the sawdust?),...just flip it 90 degrees to run down the length. I'm kind of surprised we don't have any wood-shop guys that can rip this project out.

I'd call Dyson's Lumber in St Marys and ask for recommendations. They've been my go-to for finding trades people to do stuff.

Hessian

Excellent tips....Sandi,...a trip over to Mech-ville is not a problem. I will trim the length,...and be in touch! Thanks again.

Last edited:

willie

2" cut through cedar should be no problem with a good rip blade. Mark your beam where you want the left cut to start and finish. Now mark the right hand cut start and finish. Lay your 30 YO saw (unplugged) on the beam with the blade touching the left hand mark. Lay a 1x flush against the sole of the saw and clamp it in place. The idea is to shove the saw firmly against the 1x while cutting through the beam. Do the same with the right side and then saw, saw, saw out the middle then chisel.