i need horse advise???

jumpergirl976

my mom said that she might buy me a horse :yay: but she wants me to adopt one because its cheaper. but i want one that can jump or that is able to jump anyone know any good places around here for adoption with some good horses. please let me know thanks:confused:

J

jaybeeztoo

my mom said that she might buy me a horse :yay: but she wants me to adopt one because its cheaper. but i want one that can jump or that is able to jump anyone know any good places around here for adoption with some good horses. please let me know thanks:confused:

Take a look at donatemyhorse.com There are plenty of rescues with perfectly fine horses, but this is the only site that comes to mind right now.

tallyhoe

tell your mom the cost of adoption could be astonomical in doctors bills or your life if you don't know what you are doing. Buy something proven sane not cheap as a first priority.

IntegritysDream

Yeah i agree with tally, most horses (not all) are up for adoption for a reason.. weather it be tempermental, or health/soundness related or the fact that they are not broke and need a lot of rest/recover/rebuild time. You really gotta know the "game" or have a lot of money to put into a rescue. I would try and look for a nice prospect in the 1000-3000$ range that is already proven sane & healthy and has had a good amount of u/s time and is in good condition.. even then.. Be sure to get some kinda vet check done before you decide to adopt or buy, and make sure you have someone very expirenced (like a trainer) go with you.
Lost and Found Horse Rescue Foundation, Inc. has some possible prospects that my friend (devine) said could be pretty nice with a lot more time under saddle and retraining

Last edited:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

:doh:ADVICE:

Pay now or pay later. Not being sarcastic, as a friend, I am being honest. In your situation you are better off buying (or leasing and I know who has one (not me Vrai)) something that you don't need to fix, change, school or address problems with. If the perfect horse was around, why would someone want to adopt it? 99% of the time you will not find a made horse that is sound up for adoption. I just don't want you to learn the hard way!:flowers:

Sparks

Make sure your mom knows that the initial cost of buying/adopting is really nothing compared to what you may end up spending on a monthly basis.

I don't know your skills but make sure you take someone experienced to help you find one. The market is so bad right now. I'd imagine you'd be able to buy or even adopt something pretty cheap.

Appendix has given you good advice. Leasing is a really good alternative for your first horse.

jumpergirl976

yeah she said at friend at her work said that the poilce sttion adopts out horses after there retired from there and there no spook and i can train the horse to jump

IntegritysDream

generally after they are retired from something like that, they are older and have been ridden pretty hard. It would be difficult to really take a older horse to make it a horse that would jump consistantly and show without you having lameness issues or something like that.

jumpergirl976

yeah my mom said that they dont last long with the poilce she said her friend bought one and it was really good but idk what she did with the horse

fredsaid2

Are you currently taking lessons? If not that would be your first step. Find a lesson barn that suits and do a lesson a week for a while. You'll learn the basics while riding a number of different horses. Getting to know people at the barn will give you opportunities to eventually find the horse you need for your ability level. Good Luck!

Cowgirl

Hmm...just my two cents...with the price of hay (and everything else under the sun) isn't it a buyer's market? I bet you could find a nice horse for reasonable money because people are having a hard time keeping/selling them.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This particular child has a non-horsey parent.
She is in lessons, and does well. She is also starting to learn how to do trails.

Jumpergirl, If you might be interesed in an Arab, I know someone who may have something that will interest you. Shamrock Farms in the 7th District has a couple of really nice geldings. She may even let you lease one to show to see if you like him.

I'm sorry Roscoe has a new home.

Wait4It..boom

Are you currently taking lessons? If not that would be your first step. Find a lesson barn that suits and do a lesson a week for a while. You'll learn the basics while riding a number of different horses. Getting to know people at the barn will give you opportunities to eventually find the horse you need for your ability level. Good Luck!

I second that! Even as an adult when I bought my first horse, I wish that I would have leased, to know what I was getting myself into. Even if you have been taking lessons, you could find an arrangement with a local barn to lease a horse and give it some time to find out if you're going to be able to make it to the barn as much as you'd like, if owning a horse is something you really want to do, and just to get exposure to horsey things if you don't already know (e.g., vet checks, farrier appts, feeding, etc.). And with leasing, there's nothing keeping you from looking for the perfect horse to buy later. I think leasing is like a good test drive before buying the real deal.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The problem with leasing is not for the leasor...it's the leasee. If the horse gets ill, or comes up lame...who cares for it? Who makes major decisions? Who decides what to spend, and who pays it?

If going into a lease situation, get everything up front IN WRITING for both sides. This isn't something a child does, it's between adults.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
The problem with leasing is not for the leasor...it's the leasee. If the horse gets ill, or comes up lame...who cares for it? Who makes major decisions? Who decides what to spend, and who pays it?

If going into a lease situation, get everything up front IN WRITING for both sides. This isn't something a child does, it's between adults.

Agree... :yay:

Sparks

This should be spelled out in your lease agreement.