appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

Attachments

• Bazyl Jump 1.jpg
    Bazyl Jump 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 55

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread except partly the first page so excuse my possible ignorance.
Adopting is a great idea, just look at all your options. Freedom Hill Horse Rescue has some great horses available that can jump and everything else plus more. They don't always have problems, just because they are with a rescue. They may have just been unwanted or owner give-ups, to get the rescues more funds.

Here are a few sites I encourage you to check out that look very reputable, just be sure to know your stuff and ask questions.

Home - Based in Northern Calvert County, Maryland. And be sure to contact this rescue because I know their Adoptions page is not always up to date.
Draft Horse Rescue - Mount Airy, Maryland.
MidAtlantic Horse Rescue - Horse Rescue and Horse Adoption in PA, DE, MD area. - Chesapeake City, Maryland
Eagle Hill Equine Rescue - Culpeper Virginia - Horse Rescue, Horse Education and Adoption - 5 miles East of Chancellorsville Battlefield in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Standardbred Retirement Foundation - Based in Hamilton, New Jersey.
New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program - I think this is based in Ohio, but they do have horses located in Ohio, Tennessee, and Michigan.
LOPE Texas - LoneStar Outreach to Place Ex-Racers - Cedar Creek, Texas.
TB Friends Home - Northern California. I know this one is too far away also, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways!

Atleast look! Don't rule out adoption options right off the back. You can find some really nice horses there.

And if all else fails, there is a Appy gelding sitting in my back yard who the owner is desperate to get rid of. :whistle: :biggrin:

Last edited:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Now that I have half-assed read the thread, I do second the many notions to lease (even if it's a half lease for 2 months) at first. Not completely necessary, but it would be a great idea.

fredsaid2

I second that! Even as an adult when I bought my first horse, I wish that I would have leased, to know what I was getting myself into. Even if you have been taking lessons, you could find an arrangement with a local barn to lease a horse and give it some time to find out if you're going to be able to make it to the barn as much as you'd like, if owning a horse is something you really want to do, and just to get exposure to horsey things if you don't already know (e.g., vet checks, farrier appts, feeding, etc.). And with leasing, there's nothing keeping you from looking for the perfect horse to buy later. I think leasing is like a good test drive before buying the real deal.

Leasing would be the next logical step. A solid lease agreement will protect both parties. The OP sounds young, eager and horse crazy. We've all been there - done that. Sometimes it works out to thrown yourself off the deep end of horse ownership, a lot of times it doesn't. Hindsight says baby steps are the way to go.

The other factor the poster has not yet mentioned is the discipline she'd like to focus on. I know she said jumping but what kind? Jumping for fun out in a field or hunters or jumpers? It will make a difference in the horses she should look at.

Getting the horse, as you've all said, is the easy/cheap part. Day to day care is where the fun begins and your wallet screams. Mom needs to be fully aware of every iota of cost so there are few if any surprises for her.

OP, please don't let any of this discourage you. Just do your homework and you will have the best possible outcome. Good Luck!

poster

This particular child has a non-horsey parent. She is in lessons, and does well. She is also starting to learn how to do trails.
Jumpergirl, If you might be interesed in an Arab, I know someone who may have something that will interest you. Shamrock Farms in the 7th District has a couple of really nice geldings. She may even let you lease one to show to see if you like him.

I'm sorry Roscoe has a new home.

Given this info, I would strongly agree with leasing. Overall it's cheaper for the rider and the rider can easily switch to a more suitable horse as she progresses with her lessons. Whatever your choice I would ask your trainer if she/he could go with to see the horse before you buy.

Also a word of advice - DO NOT get on a prospective buy, ask the owner to ride them first. Don't just trust their word that the horse is sane. Keep in mind, if you chose to adopt or buy from a auction, that the sweetest horse can change attitudes once they're fat and happy.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Are you currently taking lessons? If not that would be your first step. Find a lesson barn that suits and do a lesson a week for a while. You'll learn the basics while riding a number of different horses. Getting to know people at the barn will give you opportunities to eventually find the horse you need for your ability level. Good Luck!

yes jumper girl does take lessons and jumps .( hi jumpergirl MOM 2 ). She has ridden mine and my daughters horse many times and trail ridden with us. (actually she is taken horsesrocks Arab to HSS) . when she is serious about looking she will defiantly have a experienced horse person with her .. by all means i am not saying me I am far from one . I am learning everyday..
but her horse and most of the time herself will be living with us when we get our new place.. that was the deciding factor of her mom #1 saying she could get her own horse..

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Also a word of advice - DO NOT get on a prospective buy, ask the owner to ride them first. Don't just trust their word that the horse is sane. Keep in mind, if you chose to adopt or buy from a auction, that the sweetest horse can change attitudes once they're fat and happy.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this one went through it when I first got back into it about 5 years ago .. So jumpergirl can learn from my mistakes .I had the owner ride then my poor daughter get on if she was not comfortable on it I did not get on .. I can't afford to come off cuz of medical reasons, but of course my daughter didn't mind she rides anything , any age , she loves a challenge. she is taking a pony that she has trail ridden about 3 times (4 this Sunday) to HSS to teach him how to jump .they can sure act different when they start feeling like a horse again..

BrookValley

Leasing would be the next logical step. A solid lease agreement will protect both parties. The OP sounds young, eager and horse crazy. We've all been there - done that. Sometimes it works out to thrown yourself off the deep end of horse ownership, a lot of times it doesn't. Hindsight says baby steps are the way to go.

The other factor the poster has not yet mentioned is the discipline she'd like to focus on. I know she said jumping but what kind? Jumping for fun out in a field or hunters or jumpers? It will make a difference in the horses she should look at.

Getting the horse, as you've all said, is the easy/cheap part. Day to day care is where the fun begins and your wallet screams. Mom needs to be fully aware of every iota of cost so there are few if any surprises for her.

OP, please don't let any of this discourage you. Just do your homework and you will have the best possible outcome. Good Luck!

As someone who's seen a lot of, um, trainwrecks as a result of a non-horsey parent buying a dirt cheap horse for their son/daughter...I have to agree 110% with the above.

Free is never cheap.