i need some advice..

jumpergirl976

im doing horse pleasure for the frist time at the horse show on sunday and i need some help on stop getting ahead of the horse and getting her to move more any ideas to help?

devinej

what do you mean by stop getting ahead? do you mean over fences? or just riding too far forward on the flat?

what i always suggest is to work in two point, making sure you are doing two point correctly - let your weight sink down to your heel, don't grip with your knee, and put your hands on your head or out to the side - tie your reins in a knot- and go for a little ride like that, keeping your balance. then do some posting - double posting (up up down up up down). if you can keep your balance like that without knee gripping, then you have perfect george morris equitation most likely.

also, working without irons can help as well.

if you get ahead over the jumps, try jumping with your eyes closed, without hands like above (over little stuff). come to the fence in two point and pretend like there is no jump, just stay in two point and don't lower your upper body. let your hips fold and they should stay back over the center or seat of the saddle

to get your horse to go more forward, use a crop - ask once nicely with your leg, then if he doesn't go, use that crop in such a way that he moves imediately. good luck

jumpergirl976

ok thanks yeah i get ahead when im going over fences i hate it cause i feel like she gonna take off then but she doesnt and i get really ahead.

devinej

yep sounds like you are getting in tight to fences, just stay back and wait for her to jump up to you, maintain that tall two point position