If your computer has an Intel chip, get ready for a major slowdown

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Whew! So no need to upgrade, then. Just moving up from Win 3.0 was painful enough.

How did you get that 386sx machine of yours to handle the upgrade to Win98? And with the data size of Win98 software, you must have had to increase the size of your MFM hard drive. How were you able to bypass the upgrade to Win 95? That must have been a doozy? Or did you accomplish it with some simple edlin commands. Also, have you had cause as of yet to move up from a 9600 baud dial-up modem yet? You know, by arranging how your programs load into memory during POST, you might be able to squeeze a bit more performance out of that machine.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I may ...

How did you get that 386sx machine of yours to handle the upgrade to Win98? And with the data size of Win98 software, you must have had to increase the size of your MFM hard drive. How were you able to bypass the upgrade to Win 95? That must have been a doozy? Or did you accomplish it with some simple edlin commands. Also, have you had cause as of yet to move up from a 9600 baud dial-up modem yet? You know, by arranging how your programs load into memory during POST, you might be able to squeeze a bit more performance out of that machine.

:yay:

stgislander

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Although he's making jokes, we do have two Win98 desktops and a Win Millennium laptop that we keep around to run legacy programs. The Win98 machines have the Pentium 5 CPUs that doubled as heating elements in Easy Bake ovens.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Although he's making jokes, we do have two Win98 desktops and a Win Millennium laptop that we keep around to run legacy programs. The Win98 machines have the Pentium 5 CPUs that doubled as heating elements in Easy Bake ovens.

:lmao:

I have one 98 machine in storage, may break it out to see what I can salvage off all the 5 1/4" disk...
Have a C-64, C-129 and Timex Sinclair 1000, too, all working.

Atari 800 and 1200 with all the trimmings in the basement. Just waiting for the right time to sell them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
oh my the collection most of which are personal machines going back to 1988

C-64, C-128

Tandy / Radio Shack Model 4p - 15 mb external HD, thermal and dot matrix printer
Model 2 Business w/4 Floppy Drive Expansion Bay

Dell Opti-plex 110 - P-II w/ 2 12mb Monster 3DII Cards in SLI - legacy Dos Gaming Box; various Dell Laptops from P-II 266's to Core i7's
HP DL-360 G5 - running VMware ESX-I for my VM's of legacy Operating Systems - NT 3.51, 4.0, Win 95, 98 ... etc

Mac SE
Mac II vx
Mac Powerbook G3-500 Pismo
Power Mac 6500 / 250
Power Mac G-4 450 Graphite
Macbook Pro 17inch

and on the console side an Atari 2600 and a Mattel Intelivision

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^Nice collection. :yay:

I was never much into electronic gaming, and have been boycotting Apple since 1982.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
too bad, Macintosh was a great line ... our 1st in 1988 was a Mac Plus

I've not trusted their closed architecture for hard ware and software since working with their machines when I was a line supervisor at Milton Bradley in 80 - 82. I like to kit bash my hardware and customize the software.