I'm a Zorn-Again Believer

Dondi

Dondi
I have to admit, I had my doubts about Jim Zorn, even after the Dallas game, which almost seemed a fluke (and I didn't like the prevent at the end of the first half). But the Redskins are just playing great football. They are controlling the ball, making few mistakes, especially with no turnover/interceptions, they ran all over the #1 run defense yesterday, converting 3rd downs, and making gutsy calls (4th and 2) at the end of the game to seal the deal. Who would have known that for the second week in a row, they ran out the clock with almost 2 min left to play. The defense has stepped up even in absence of some key players (or maybe even in spite of). Great goal line stoppage, which isn't a fluke either. And they held Westbrook to 33 yards on 12 carries.

My hats off Coach Zorn and play calling. And all the players playing as a team.

And with a fairly easy schedule these next few weeks (Rams, Browns, Lions), I really look forward to a great Monday night matchup in Pittsburgh before the bye. Also, with all the divisional road games played out, everyone will be coming to our house, starting with Dallas after the break. I see no reason for not anticipating post-season play at this point

It's good to be a Redskin Fan.

T

toppick08

I have to admit, I had my doubts about Jim Zorn, even after the Dallas game, which almost seemed a fluke (and I didn't like the prevent at the end of the first half). But the Redskins are just playing great football. They are controlling the ball, making few mistakes, especially with no turnover/interceptions, they ran all over the #1 run defense yesterday, converting 3rd downs, and making gutsy calls (4th and 2) at the end of the game to seal the deal. Who would have known that for the second week in a row, they ran out the clock with almost 2 min left to play. The defense has stepped up even in absence of some key players (or maybe even in spite of). Great goal line stoppage, which isn't a fluke either. And they held Westbrook to 33 yards on 12 carries.

My hats off Coach Zorn and play calling. And all the players playing as a team.

And with a fairly easy schedule these next few weeks (Rams, Browns, Lions), I really look forward to a great Monday night matchup in Pittsburgh before the bye. Also, with all the divisional road games played out, everyone will be coming to our house, starting with Dallas after the break. I see no reason for not anticipating post-season play at this point

It's good to be a Redskin Fan.

:evil:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
It's nice to see the Redskins playing good football right now. But, I get the feeling it won't last. :ohwell:

Here, I've attached a new AV for you to use. You are the most miserable under 30 person I know.

Attachments

• Eeyore.png
    Eeyore.png
    15 KB · Views: 93

Dondi

Dondi
It's nice to see the Redskins playing good football right now. But, I get the feeling it won't last. :ohwell:

Why do you have to rain on the parade? They are playing consistently the last few weeks. I see no reason to see them lose the next three, unless they get complacent like the Pats and the Chargers.

They just need to keep the fire burning and not be satisfied with where they are. Keep it moving.

Oh, and I neglected to give kudos to the kicking team. Shawn Suisham has just been nailin' them (41, 48, 50). Without those field goals, we would not be enjoying the record we have now.

And also, cheers for the offense line to kept the blitzes in check and pressure off Campbell.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
And also, cheers for the offense line to kept the blitzes in check and pressure off Campbell.
I think Jon Jansen needs to keep his starting job now.

Two 120+ performances by CP and only a few sacks allowed. I think there's some hog chemistry forming.

Don't worry, Greg Williams and his prevent D aren't here any longer.:yay:

They did that crap the last drive of the Dallas game. That prevent D is a complete waste of time and it almost guarantees a score... why oh why don't they (any team) keeps pressing. It has no place (well, almost no place) in football...

BuddyLee

Football addict
They did that crap the last drive of the Dallas game. That prevent D is a complete waste of time and it almost guarantees a score... why oh why don't they (any team) keeps pressing. It has no place (well, almost no place) in football...
It does somewhat. They play to their chances. More DB's further deep prevents something. What are they trying to prevent?

Usually the game is winding down and the opposing team needs a score...and quick. Instead of giving them one-on-one or even double coverage, the prevent defense allows for multiple coverages. It looks very bad because teams often take the cheap and easy underneath routes to garner yards. However, the idea works. Even if the other team happens to score, they run out of time...usually.

More often than not the prevent works if you use it at the right time and for the right purpose. Greg Williams used it far too often and it burned us in more than one game over the years. That and his blitz's that never seemed to get home, which would burn us on the other end.

Otter

Nothing to see here

By keeping everything in front of them and a 9 point lead, they let Dallas burn up the clock. In that instance, I had no prob with the prevent defense.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The...

...idea with the prevent is to trade real estate for time.

If you play your base defense when the other guy HAS to score and is running out of time, you're going to have a corner or two locked up in man and if he, one guy, gets beat or slips or plays tight and gets a flag, it's a big chunk and/or a quick score. Better to make them take 2 plays rather than one or 4 instead of 2 or 8 instead of 4.

Add to this that the Skins in particular don't get real good pressure on the QB which means he has more time to find the one on one. Add to that that the Skins would need to blitz to get more pressure which then leaves the secondary shorthanded.

Most teams it simply makes the most sense late in a game or half. Trade ground you have to spare for time they don't have to spare.

It does somewhat. They play to their chances. More DB's further deep prevents something. What are they trying to prevent?

Usually the game is winding down and the opposing team needs a score...and quick. Instead of giving them one-on-one or even double coverage, the prevent defense allows for multiple coverages. It looks very bad because teams often take the cheap and easy underneath routes to garner yards. However, the idea works. Even if the other team happens to score, they run out of time...usually.

More often than not the prevent works if you use it at the right time and for the right purpose. Greg Williams used it far too often and it burned us in more than one game over the years. That and his blitz's that never seemed to get home, which would burn us on the other end.

If it is a 15-point+ lead, then yeah I can see it... but 14 points and lower, no way... too many things can go wrong for any team. :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
If it is a 15-point+ lead, then yeah I can see it... but 14 points and lower, no way... too many things can go wrong for any team. :lol:
Well, that's the point.

A whole series of things have to happen in order for the other team to win. In Dallas' instance they had to drive the field in little time, score a TD, get the onside kick, and score again.

Dallas is a good team so they were able to muster 1/2 of it and almost 3/4 of it. It's a lot to overcome and Dallas wouldn't be able to hit TO deep on one play under the prevent defense.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Liked that call on 4th down yesterday. I admit I was scared especially when I saw Portis take that the handoff and it didn't look like much was there.

That is something you would of never seen Gibbs do.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Liked that call on 4th down yesterday. I admit I was scared especially when I saw Portis that the handoff and it didn't look like much was there.

That is something you would of never seen Gibbs do.
Portis actually called that play. He told Zorn to put it on his shoulders.

Players owning up and taking on challenges is good early on.:yay:

I like Zorn's winning style going for it on 4th downs to ice the game.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Portis actually called that play. He told Zorn to put it on his shoulders.

Players owning up and taking on challenges is good early on.:yay:

I like Zorn's winning style going for it on 4th downs to ice the game.

Confidence! He's showing his players he has confidence in them. It's contagious. I'm not sure I'm ready to guzzle the Kool-Aid just yet, but the shooters the last few weeks are tasting really good. :yay: