I'm Thinking A Net Loss .........

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Over pressurized really?

When you over pressurize pipe and have fluid go faster say for water 18 to 20 ft per second, you enter the danger zone of doing huge damage to the pipe and fittings. You get things like hammering and blowing fittings and increased wear and failures in the system.
All this stuff is nothing new... In most cases you can't take away from Peter to pay Paul.

.It's like why no new hydro electric on a big scale,,,,,, because they knew 60 years ago that all the rivers that truly make it worthwhile, have generation plants on them already.

Plus the idea that 20 different environazi group would be suing for impeding the copulation of the green penised river ocelot, which was known to live in that area during the last ice age and possibly still does.

black dog

Free America
To be fair...I interpreted that 20 psi parasitic loss to be occurring over a section of the system where the fall distance creates an excess head anyway. Some of those pipelines do cover some major elevation changes along their way.

Our home in Norway, like many rural homes in the fjords, was powered by a small water turbine that was situated about 100 meters up the side of the mountain above our home. The water for the house came directly from the same catch basin that fed the turbine; straight gravity feed. The catch basin was something we built around a "step" in a waterfall/stream that came from some 1000 meters farther up the side of the mountain. The turbine generator was around 20 kw as best I recall and old...1950s vintage. But it got the job done.

And we heated the house entirely with wood, except for heat strips under the stone and tile floors in bathroom and laundry room that were electric.

Totally off grid. Loved it.

The stream that we tapped..pic taken at the bottom where it crosses under the road and empties in the fjord. What the view looks like from the top of the mountain..and our house.

View attachment 118636 View attachment 118637 View attachment 118638 View attachment 118639

I get it, for some instances it can work well. But a 20 kw gen turbine can run a reasonable size home easily. My Miller Bobcat gas drive is 20 kw, it ran my home for 9 days after the hurricane... Total Electric home.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I get it, for some instances it can work well. But a 20 kw gen turbine can run a reasonable size home easily. My Miller Bobcat gas drive is 20 kw, it ran my home for 9 days after the hurricane... Total Electric home.
An ours off my Hobart Champion 16 for 11 days. Isabel....2003. Ran a smaller gen to keep power on the shop and freezers.