I'm thinking about a retirement community

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The idea of having pretty much everything taken care of for me for a surprisingly affordable cost is appealing. For about $3k a month you get your apartment, meals, recreation, activities, hell they'll even take you to the grocery store and clean your house for you. The ones I'm looking at are in central TX, but I'm looking in AZ as well.
Not positive right now where I want to land but I'm pretty sure PCB isn't my final resting place. I mean, I like it here but it's been 3 years and I'm getting itchy to move on. The problem with being a homeless vagabond for 5 years is that it gets in your blood and you have a hard time dealing with permanence. I've enjoyed having a home and an address but now I'm over it.

Anyone have experience with independent living facilities? The good, the bad, the ugly? Feel free to poke holes in my thought process - I'm not committed.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Careful . . . . That $3000 now, could very well become $6000 in ten years due to inflation. Will your income, or savings, be able to cover that, then?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For your consideration ...

Careful . . . . That $3000 now, could very well become $6000 in ten years due to inflation. Will your income, or savings, be able to cover that, then?

But isn't that the way with every living situation? Even if you own your home outright, your property taxes will go up. Food will cost more, heating your home will get more expensive, your appliances will need replacing....

I used to be all about owning my home, now I don't care. Many times it's not worth the hassle.

GregV814

heyyyyyyy....my sisters and brother are in Flaaaaaraaaadaaa.... there's a sh!tload of vacant land off I-10.... tellya what Imma gonna do..... send me 10-15G , I'll hit my sisters up for 10-15G, my brother for like $30.00 and we can construct ..... VG +55 a happy Community!!!!! I'll sell maybe 100-200 shares with promises of The Fountain of Youth, strictly non-DEI, affordable healthcare by semi registered Nurse practitioners , free EV's....cable TV!!!

THEN, as the next climate change activity occurs, ooooopsie, bankruptcy!!!! (you'll get your 300% investment back!!!)

Huh? huh??

SamSpade

We are looking forward to a 55+ community but haven't gotten anywhere close to specifics.

My MIL lives in one - and yeah, as she's gotten older, there've been challenges. She still needs our help all the time, because things like rides, groceries, doctor appointments etc - well they cost additional.

Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Speaking from experience with Assisted Living for my dad, not quite the same as a 55+ retirement community. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to visit and get first-hand info from the residents. Brochures talk up a good game, but the real thing may be far from that. One of the biggest complaints is food. It's a huge expense to the outfit, and they cut corners wherever possible. My dad and his fellow residents never had anything good to say about the food service. 1st hand, I saw what he was talking about, he wasn't wrong. It was sub-standard consistently.

The other thing to be aware of is lack of manpower. These places are always looking for help and short-staffing is common.

That said, good luck. I myself will need to transition from a house to a condo/retirement community at some point in the not-to-distant future. Getting tougher and tougher to maintain things.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Speaking from experience with Assisted Living for my dad, not quite the same as a 55+ retirement community. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to visit and get first-hand info from the residents. Brochures talk up a good game, but the real thing may be far from that. One of the biggest complaints is food. It's a huge expense to the outfit, and they cut corners wherever possible. My dad and his fellow residents never had anything good to say about the food service. 1st hand, I saw what he was talking about, he wasn't wrong. It was sub-standard consistently.

The other thing to be aware of is lack of manpower. These places are always looking for help and short-staffing is common.

That said, good luck. I myself will need to transition from a house to a condo/retirement community at some point in the not-to-distant future. Getting tougher and tougher to maintain things.

This is the kind of information I'm looking for - basic day to day life stuff. :yay: I feel like maybe the time to start exploring is now, before I *need* to be in a retirement community. That way I can scout around, maybe live in one for awhile, leave if it sucks. <---this is why I love renting.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sounds like this would be like going from "Soulless Inc" to "Soulless Community".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
One of the biggest complaints is food. It's a huge expense to the outfit, and they cut corners wherever possible. My dad and his fellow residents never had anything good to say about the food service. 1st hand, I saw what he was talking about, he wasn't wrong. It was sub-standard consistently.

I'm thinking bulk food from Sysco ... Institutionalized food like eating in the Hospital Cafeteria all the time

NO Salt, Butter or delicious fatty foods

I spent 4 yrs in the army and the Chow Hall food was always decent ... but I don't see a retirement community being like that

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm thinking bulk food from Sysco ... Institutionalized food like eating in the Hospital Cafeteria all the time
Yup. It's rare to find a place that actually prepares real meals in a setting like that, too expensive. If you're lucky, you may have a nice buffet bar.

Even if you choose a meal plan, get a place that has a kitchen, even if minimal, just so you can make something on your own. Assisted living places usually only provide a sink, small fridge and microwave.

The place we had Dad at was split up by ability. They had small duplex houses with a garage and full amenities for active people, assisted living, and then nursing care. As you became less able, you moved from one facility to another.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
My retirement village is gonna be limited to one house, with one resident.

Me.

Food will be good to great, activities to include, target shooting, shooting steel, fishing, making ammo, shooting some more, enjoying a morning coffee or bourbon and cigar on my deck, some afternoon shooting, news, more bourbon....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My retirement village is gonna be limited to one house, with one resident.

Me.

Food will be good to great, activities to include, target shooting, shooting steel, fishing, making ammo, shooting some more, enjoying a morning coffee or bourbon and cigar on my deck, some afternoon shooting, news, more bourbon....
So.... a shack on the top of a mountain with a stream running thru it.

GregV814

BUILD THAT WALL BUILD THAT WALL BUILD THAT WALL....

Attachments

• Screenshot_17-7-2024_101342_www.bing.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_17-7-2024_101342_www.bing.com.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 28

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Assisted living places usually only provide a sink, small fridge and microwave.

Independent living places are full apartments/cottages with a proper kitchen, W/D, etc. :yay: Monello's mom is in an assisted living facility and giving up cooking was one of the pluses for her. I'm thinking she was unimpressed with the food served, but not having to prepare it and clean up made up for it. :lol:

gemma_rae

The idea of having pretty much everything taken care of for me for a surprisingly affordable cost is appealing. For about $3k a month you get your apartment, meals, recreation, activities, hell they'll even take you to the grocery store and clean your house for you. The ones I'm looking at are in central TX, but I'm looking in AZ as well.
Not positive right now where I want to land but I'm pretty sure PCB isn't my final resting place. I mean, I like it here but it's been 3 years and I'm getting itchy to move on. The problem with being a homeless vagabond for 5 years is that it gets in your blood and you have a hard time dealing with permanence. I've enjoyed having a home and an address but now I'm over it.

Anyone have experience with independent living facilities? The good, the bad, the ugly? Feel free to poke holes in my thought process - I'm not committed.
Does this have anything to do with being disenchanted with Soulless Inc?

gemma_rae

No, just looking toward the future. Soulless Inc is in my rearview.
Just wondering. I've lived in an apartment before, and it took me about a week to hate everyone in the building.

TV's blaring all night, loud music, smells of god knows what cooking and wafting through the air, dings in my car door from inconsiderate a-holes in the parking lot, etc.

You get the point.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just wondering. I've lived in an apartment before, and it took me about a week to hate everyone in the building.

:lol:

I do well with community living rather than SFH. It feels more secure to me and I've never had a problem with crappy neighbors.