I'm thinking about a retirement community

TPD

the poor dad
Like what? The ones I've seen are pretty reasonable.
$4-5,000+/month

I've got relatives that live in Ft Lauderdale - tho they live in a SFH, they have told me the costs of retirement communities & assisted living facilities in Florida - almost half of Maryland.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
$4-5,000+/month

I've got relatives that live in Ft Lauderdale - tho they live in a SFH, they have told me the costs of retirement communities & assisted living facilities in Florida - almost half of Maryland.

Okay, good, because that's what I'm seeing in TX - in the $2-3k/mo range.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For your consideration...

Are there any upfront costs? Do you have to buy/rent a place first? Inquiring minds . . . .

That's it - your rent and all services/amenities. If you want 2BR it's a few bucks more. You put down a deposit like you do when you rent a house or apartment. They charge more for assisted living, of course.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pick someplace way cool, so when I come visit, we have stuff to do!! :yahoo: :biggrin:

I need you to see *real* Texas instead of SPI fake Texas and if I wind up in New Braunfels it doesn't get any more Texas than that. Right outside of San Antonio, all kinds of super cute towns dotted around, there's a big ass Buc-ees. You'd love it there.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I need you to see *real* Texas instead of SPI fake Texas and if I wind up in New Braunfels it doesn't get any more Texas than that. Right outside of San Antonio, all kinds of super cute towns dotted around, there's a big ass Buc-ees. You'd love it there.
Yeeehaww! :getdown:

black dog

Free America
I'm thinking bulk food from Sysco ... Institutionalized food like eating in the Hospital Cafeteria all the time

NO Salt, Butter or delicious fatty foods

I spent 4 yrs in the army and the Chow Hall food was always decent ... but I don't see a retirement community being like that
Maybe with some, my mom lives in Ginger Cove off Riva Rd in Annapolis.
The food is well liked by all that have had meals there. It's a wonderful place to live, if one goes in as a healthy person your monthly bill never changes if you spend the last few years in the health center.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe with some, my mom lives in Ginger Cove off Riva Rd in Annapolis.
The food is well liked by all that have had meals there. It's a wonderful place to live, if one goes in as a healthy person your monthly bill never changes if you spend the last few years in the health center.

So is she happy there? Is there anything she doesn't like? Is everyone in their 70s and 80s or are there people my age (60)?

black dog

Free America
The idea of having pretty much everything taken care of for me for a surprisingly affordable cost is appealing. For about $3k a month you get your apartment, meals, recreation, activities, hell they'll even take you to the grocery store and clean your house for you. The ones I'm looking at are in central TX, but I'm looking in AZ as well.
Not positive right now where I want to land but I'm pretty sure PCB isn't my final resting place. I mean, I like it here but it's been 3 years and I'm getting itchy to move on. The problem with being a homeless vagabond for 5 years is that it gets in your blood and you have a hard time dealing with permanence. I've enjoyed having a home and an address but now I'm over it.

Anyone have experience with independent living facilities? The good, the bad, the ugly? Feel free to poke holes in my thought process - I'm not committed.
I've posted before with my mom in Ginger Cove in Annapolis. She's now in a larger 1 bedroom on the ground floor with an awesome patio. I want to say it's around $4,200 a month and I believe that's with one meal (dinner?) each day.
It's a very nice community.

black dog

Free America
So is she happy there? Is there anything she doesn't like? Is everyone in their 70s and 80s or are there people my age (60)?
She loves it, I'm almost 66. When I visit her, I'm the youngest person at happy hour. I've never heard her complain about anything. May some crotchety old woman now and then.
I'm gonna say you might be younger at heart than most of them. They do have a croquet court. I don't know what all the costs are, but I would suggest that you at least drive through the next time you guys are up north.

black dog

Free America
For your consideration...

Are there any upfront costs? Do you have to buy/rent a place first? Inquiring minds . . . .
I believe when my mom and step father moved into Ginger Cove they took a two bedroom.
I want to say they had to put up $500.000 grand. After death is goes back to who its left to in the will, minus any money owed to Ginger Cove that insurance didn't cover with medical costs at the end of life.
I don't know if she got a rebate when she moved into a one bedroom.