Independent ISPs?

LFOD

Getting ready to move to Southern Maryland, are there any independent ISPs or is Metrocast the only game (monopoly) in town?

glhs837

Power with Control
I think in the far northern end of the county you can gett Comcast, but for 90% of the county, it's Metrocast, barring oddities like 4g coverage or DSL from Verizon.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think in the far northern end of the county you can gett Comcast, but for 90% of the county, it's Metrocast, barring oddities like 4g coverage or DSL from Verizon.

Well there might also be a few leftover dial up providers :)

I imagine there are also still a few places where internet access is via the library or free WiFi at a local business.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My take on this is when we first moved to Calvert (Broomes Island) in 1998 there was no connection. We waited and made do until it got to us around 2000. We have been Comcast customers from that beginning and got a good deal for a long time, but in the last few years, we have fought them on there creeping up prices with nothing to show for it. I have read the threads here that talk about alternatives, and have yet to take action, but I think this year I will make the change. I am sick of the Comcast monopoly game.

And, we have been long time customers with Verizon for cell phone service. I am sick of them, too, for the same reasons. 2016 will be my time for change.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
and who do you propose to use if not Comcast?
BTW, hate Verizon, but in some areas they are still the only carrier that has service.
The true test of Calvert Co. is does Comcast provide their Xfinity service there (I believe that's their answer to FiOS)?

littlelady

God bless the USA
and who do you propose to use if not Comcast?
BTW, hate Verizon, but in some areas they are still the only carrier that has service.
The true test of Calvert Co. is does Comcast provide their Xfinity service there (I believe that's their answer to FiOS)?

If you are replying to me, as far as Verizon, our cell phones don't work so well because we live in the woods, so I don't blame them, but their bills creep up like Comcast. Yes, Comcast provides Xfinity here, but we have paid through the butt, even though our package didn't change; all those new fees, taxes, and all. And what I meant is that I have read on the forum that there are alternatives like Roku, Hulu, or whatever the names are. I just haven't done the research yet. But, as soon as my first grandchild is born any day now, and things settle down, one of the first things on my list is to find alternate ways to get the shows we like to watch to reduce our monthly bills. It is getting outrageous.

One more thing. Your dial up reference made me laugh because Bret Baier had that reference at the end of his show the other night. That irritating sound and the waiting. It was funny.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have Verizon FIOS and love it but it's only available in limited areas. You can also get DirecTV and a couple of other satellite providers.

thrash

I use Verizon DSL and it's been incredibly reliable over the 8 years I've used it. I'd estimated I've experienced maybe 3 hours of downtime, with very, very heavy usage (like 10 average hours per day.) No, it's not "fast" for many simultaneous users and large downloads, but more than adequate for your basic needs. The price is right and the service is great. I've heard of many awful experiences with local cable internet ISPs, so it's definitely worth a look if you don't need to support 20 gb downloads and having multiple users streaming content at once.