Infant Care

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I am new to this mommy thing and everyone is telling me I should starting looking for daycare now while I am still pregnant. I am due in August and will need daycare in early/mid October. I am looking for some advice on how to interview anyone and what type of things I should look out for. I know the normal things like rates, hours, but are there any questions or things I should be aware of when I go to interview? Any suggestions would be great.

Also, if anyone knows of any providers that have openings that would be great because I am having a hard time finding someone for October timeframe!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
DEFINATELY start looking now! Newborn/infant slots are the most in-demand.

Things to ask:

-- how long doing daycare
-- why did they choose that profession
-- their license information AND make sure you verify it with the childcare licensing office.
-- if they've had any violations/complaints filed.
-- how many other kids are in daycare and their ages
-- what they provide if anything (food, formula, diapers, etc)
-- if they have any kids of their own and their ages
-- pets and what kinds
-- is it a smoking household?
-- who is the emergency backup for the provider (if it's in-home).
-- at least 3 references AND make sure you call them!

good luck! :smile:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Don't forget to ask (if they don't already tell you) if they have paid vacation. Some in-home sitters will take one week paid and one week unpaid. Also, what are the hours/cancellations if schools are closed as some daycare providers will not be open in this case.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
nomoney said:
www.mdchildcare.org is a great place to start :yay:

that or call 301-290-0045 to get free locate child care info.
:yeahthat: Was just getting ready to post that link, too. You can do a search online for licensed care providers based on your schedule, preferred location, etc. on there as well. :yay:

Try this link to do the online search cuz the search link from that site isn't working for some reason. Probably cuz nomoney posted it. :whistle:

TinaTina

Congratulations on your upcoming new addition! I am due in June and started to panic when I first started calling around to daycares. A lot of them in this area have a two year waiting list for infants, or if they do have an opening they want you to begin paying now as if your child were already attending the daycare! :yikes: Luckily we were able to find a provider who my SO knows who will just happen to have an opening when it's time for me to go back to work! I didn't feel comfortable with the thought of leaving our child with a home provider who we didn't know, so I was mainly focused on the daycare centers around here. Here is a list of numbers to help you get started:

Bay Montessori - 301-737-2421
Brandee's Daycare - 301-862-5792
Creative Beginnings - 301-862-2345 (2 year waiting list for infants)
Dameron Daycare - 301-872-5707 (2 year waiting list for infants)
Hakuna Matata - 301-866-0200
Hollywood United Methodest - 301-373-8738
Honey MacCallum Christian - 301-863-8600
Little People - 301-862-9697
New Generation - 301-884-5776
Prep And Play - 301-373-3710 (2 years and up)
Rosebank Cottage - 301-884-2849
St. Mary's Sunshine - 301-475-8614
Small World - 301-862-2393
Starmaker - 301-863-7740 (6 month waiting list for infants)
Stepping Stone - 301-475-9899
Superstar - 301-884-7100
Tiny Footsteps - 301-884-4799

You may also want to ask some of the places that don't have any openings if they can provide recommendations for places where there may be openings.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Congrats on the baby!

Good luck with your finding an infant spot! I lucked out with my son.....one of the infants at the current daycare was leaving so he was able to slide right in with his sister :yay:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Definately get started now! Expect to go through a lot of names before you find someone with an opening and even more to find one you really like. Be patient and don't get discouraged. There are openings out there, you just have to look hard for them.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Congradulations to you. There are many wonderful centers as well as home day care providers in our area. I suggest interviewing, dropping in on and contacting references on any perspective candidate will hopefully lead you to a trustworthy and loving provider.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Below is a checklist that I used when calling around. Infant care is definitely hard to find and it may take a while so starting now is a great idea.

Daycare Name:
Daycare POC Information:
Vacancy and when?:
Hours of Operation:
How many children are cared for:
Cost per week for Infant:
Do they close when schools close (snow, etc…)?:
What are the observed holidays?:
Does the provider take a vacation or get a # of sick days per year?:
Is backup care provided, or is that my responsibility?:
Does she do activities with the children?:
How does she discipline the children?:
Do you have pets in the home, if so - what kind?:
Smoking in the home?:

S

Sassygirl

One other thing to keep in mind, how long has the person been doing day care?
The second person I had watching my son, had only been doing day care for a year when he started. Well she lasted another year, and she went back to work. Several of my co-works have gone through the same thing with "new" providers. I think it best if your going to do in home, is to find someone who has been a provider for a while.
Good luck with the search!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Thanks everyone, this has helped me so much. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do. I started calling around yesterday and you guys were right, its going to be hard to find! I am going to keep looking and that website was great, thanks!