Infertility and depo shot

C

county_girl

I have convinced myself that I'm having infertility problems due to having the depo shot after having my second daughter in 2004. My first daughter was born in 2000...no problem getting prego with her. I got prego in 2003 with twins but lost them. Two months later I was prego again. May 2004 had my second daughter and started the depo shot. 2006 stop the shot and started trying for my third. 2008 still trying and found out I have PCOS. I'm now on Clomid for the third month and still no luck. I didn't have any problems before the depo shot and I certainly didn't have PCOS. I'm really frustrated and mad at myself for taking the depo shot. Does anyone else have trouble conceiving after the shot?

sockgirl77

I have convinced myself that I'm having infertility problems due to having the depo shot after having my second daughter in 2004. My first daughter was born in 2000...no problem getting prego with her. I got prego in 2003 with twins but lost them. Two months later I was prego again. May 2004 had my second daughter and started the depo shot. 2006 stop the shot and started trying for my third. 2008 still trying and found out I have PCOS. I'm now on Clomid for the third month and still no luck. I didn't have any problems before the depo shot and I certainly didn't have PCOS. I'm really frustrated and mad at myself for taking the depo shot. Does anyone else have trouble conceiving after the shot?

Depo does not cause PCOS. PCOS can make it hard for you to get pregnant. What meds are you on for the PCOS?

Cowgirl

My sister was on Clomid when she was trying for her second. She changed her diet and started eating very healthy and conceived pretty quickly.

C

county_girl

Depo does not cause PCOS. PCOS can make it hard for you to get pregnant. What meds are you on for the PCOS?

How do you know that Depo doesn't cause PCOS...has there been studies that show that is does not? I believe it does and I have heard many stories from other women who have had the same problems after taking the Depo shot. I believe it has caused my infertility and I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to have children. More studies on this drug need to be performed and it should be taken off the market until it is further tested. I'm not on anything for PCOS because I'm TTC.

ewashkow

I was on depo for 2 years straight and then stopped since that is the full amount of length the doctors would allow. Something to do with bone density. Anyway, it did take a while for my periods to become regular again-about 6 months. Women in my family have a tendency to take a while to get pregnant anyway so I just decided to stay off and enjoy practicing. Three months later, I'm pregnant. So long and short of it, no. I had no problems concieving after I went off depo.

knittin

somdexpressions
I know someone that lost 12 pounds and conceived naturally after 10 years of infertility and without treatments. She had PCOS too.

sockgirl77

How do you know that Depo doesn't cause PCOS...has there been studies that show that is does not? I believe it does and I have heard many stories from other women who have had the same problems after taking the Depo shot. I believe it has caused my infertility and I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to have children. More studies on this drug need to be performed and it should be taken off the market until it is further tested. I'm not on anything for PCOS because I'm TTC.

Ask your doctor. :yay:

Mama_Mia08

I was on depo for 2 years straight and then stopped since that is the full amount of length the doctors would allow. Something to do with bone density. Anyway, it did take a while for my periods to become regular again-about 6 months. Women in my family have a tendency to take a while to get pregnant anyway so I just decided to stay off and enjoy practicing. Three months later, I'm pregnant. So long and short of it, no. I had no problems concieving after I went off depo.

I was on depo on and off from 01-06. I had problems with OC's the whole time. My OBGYN and several docs told me cysts are very common on depo. Some people don't get pain from them though. Every time I went off Depo the c's went away. After we moved here last year and I had our 2nd daughter I wanted to try depo again. My OBGYN here refused to give me depo because of the osteoporosis risk and my history with OC's. They said women should be on depo for no more then 2 years. All my docs from both states said for SOME people the longer they are on depo, the longer it takes to conceive again.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
The pill and depo shots are prescribed for the control of ovarian cysts. It is doubtful that it would cause them since it suppresses ovulation. PCOS is caused by eggs that mature then swell but do not get released. Often weight is a factor in getting pregnant in women with PCOS...as well as natural changes from getting older.

Mama_Mia08

The pill and depo shots are prescribed for the control of ovarian cysts. It is doubtful that it would cause them since it suppresses ovulation. PCOS is caused by eggs that mature then swell but do not get released. Often weight is a factor in getting pregnant in women with PCOS...as well as natural changes from getting older.

Well, maybe I'm the exception then. It is strange that when I wouldn't get the depo shot I didn't have issues with cysts. I got the cysts when I went back on it. I had other complications with depo as well like dizziness and cervical cancer cells. I finally just decided to stop it after speaking with my last doc. I know other people who were on it and some had complications and some were fine. It did take a friend of mine almost 2 years to get prego though and she had no other health or weight issues. Oh, and she was 23 at the time of getting pregnant. If anyone knows of a good OBGYN let me know. I am not happy with Neal and Nwadike

sockgirl77

Well, maybe I'm the exception then. It is strange that when I wouldn't get the depo shot I didn't have issues with cysts. I got the cysts when I went back on it. I had other complications with depo as well like dizziness and cervical cancer cells. I finally just decided to stop it after speaking with my last doc. I know other people who were on it and some had complications and some were fine. It did take a friend of mine almost 2 years to get prego though and she had no other health or weight issues. Oh, and she was 23 at the time of getting pregnant. If anyone knows of a good OBGYN let me know. I am not happy with Neal and Nwadike
Dr. Polko 301-997-1788 her and Ann Naru have been there thru 2 of my pregnancies and the last 6 years of my PCOS.

J

jp2854

Dr. Polko 301-997-1788 her and Ann Naru have been there thru 2 of my pregnancies and the last 6 years of my PCOS.

i second dr. polko. I love going to her she takes her time and doesn't rush you out the door.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I have been on the depo shot for 10years and have never had any problems and my doctor has never said I shouldn't be taking it anymore. hmmm

ewashkow

I have been on the depo shot for 10years and have never had any problems and my doctor has never said I shouldn't be taking it anymore. hmmm

I was stopped because of something to do with bone density and having osteoporosis(bone degeneration) in my family.