Inflatable kayak

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
River Rides out of Harper's Ferry uses Tube Tracker PRO for rentals (though I wouldn't call it a kayak). There are way more rocks up that way and they seem to handle it well. I've seen a few in use on the dam lakes around here. Probably would work well for what it seems you are looking for at about $130. :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Anybody have one? Do you like it? I'm looking for something highly portable and an inflatable kayak sounds perfect IF it actually floats well and has some stability.

I just tossed one in the dumpster a couple months ago. :ohwell: I wasn't really a fan. It was just a pain in the ass inflating and deflating.

glhs837

Power with Control

Well, it's not, if you mitigate your risk a little......

"a woman who went missing in January. Cole disappeared while kayaking on New Year’s Day on Brodie Pond on West Hill Road and a friend reported her missing the next morning. The weather then turned bitterly cold, freezing the pond over for months.

So, kayaking alone on a pond in CT in January?

Hannibal

Invest your money in a sit inside kayak. There are a million options of varying sizes and prices. You can outfit them with skirts so you can stay completely dry if so desired. They are relatively light. The smaller they are, the easier to paddle and more maneuverable. The larger, while a bit heavier and harder to paddle, they will be more stable.

Another option is a sit on top. I've owned several and love them. You can use them all seasons if so desired and you simply need to account for temps with appropriate clothing.

glhs837

Power with Control
Invest your money in a sit inside kayak. There are a million options of varying sizes and prices. You can outfit them with skirts so you can stay completely dry if so desired. They are relatively light. The smaller they are, the easier to paddle and more maneuverable. The larger, while a bit heavier and harder to paddle, they will be more stable.

Another option is a sit on top. I've owned several and love them. You can use them all seasons if so desired and you simply need to account for temps with appropriate clothing.

Well, size (in different dimensions) has other factors. Stability and effort required to paddle are flip sides of each other. A narrower, longer boat will be easier to paddle and stay on track (keep pointed in the direction you want to go) better, actually. My little wide bottomed 9.5 recreational kayaks are light (30ish lbs) and very stable, with big roomy cockpits. And on flat water, you will never get wet. But that stability from the wide bottom means every time I paddle, the nose swings in that direction. And some amount of the next paddle dip has to overcome that. A longer skinnier boat, while more tippy, would resist those swings better. I'm glad I go the small boats, helped my kids gain confidence. but I really think the sweet spot for an adult beginner would be a 12 foot boat. Sit in, I agree, is better than sit on, more stability with less weight. I would buy a used boat, find a local paddler to help with inspection if needed. I'm sure fiding one from the SOMD Paddlers group wouldn't be to hard. I know a lot of times, folks who want to try paddling will join up and see if they can join a paddle with the group, offers to bring an extra boat for a new person are common.

Hannibal

Agreed with all the above. I've owned both SOT and Sit Ins. Currently I use a 13' Ocean Kayak Big Game. It probably weighs 75lbs if not more I'd bet. But I am 6'5" and 300lbs and use it navigating ocean breakers to take shark bait out past the 3rd bar. SHE'S VERY STABLE as I don't like the idea of tipping over in that environment. HA.

Blister

We took the beginner paddler class through St. Mary's Parks and Rec. a couple of years ago. Reasonable price, small assortment of different type kayaks to try out, good instructor. Nice little protected creek at Greenwell Park, and moved out into the Patuxent when everyone was a little more comfortable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think we're going to skip buying and just keep on renting. We're going to be in a motorhome, so dragging around two kayaks just won't float (ha). We already have bikes, and tennis gear, and golf clubs to find room for - kayaks aren't going to happen.

Thanks for all the info and helping me to make a decision! :love: