Informal poll - interest in martial arts?

NTNG

I don't believe there are. I'm a new Aikido student, and I'm 58. We have a 13 year old in the class, and the Sensei is considering starting a children's Aikido program.

DannyMotorcycle

hollywood is too far for me.. and i can't justify paying for classes.. but a club would be cool.. krav maga is awesome.. and jujitsu is pretty good too.. and aikido..

molly_21

I've heard this before, and I don't understand it. Some people want to practice a martial art, but they want it for free. Renting the space (among several other things) costs money. Am I being naive?

No. I've heard the same thing about pet rescue. People want a dog, cat, parrot, rabbit, etc. from a rescue group, but because a lot of pets are mutts or the breeds are not "papered," that they should not have to pay for the pet. Not realizing that it took the pet rescue $$$$ to house, feed, and vet the animal until it was adopted. I view it the same for this. You have to pay rent, insurance, mats, and cost of advertising.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've heard this before, and I don't understand it. Some people want to practice a martial art, but they want it for free. Renting the space (among several other things) costs money. Am I being naive?
My Brother and I were TKD disciples for roughly 10 years. For the both of us it was $90/month for both of us with an additional $10 test fee for belt advancements. The $10 was only charged when our instructor felt we were ready to be tested. A test failure would have cost an additional $10, a scolding from the parental units and possible ribbing from the higher ranked students in the class.
We never failed a test.

QUICK UPDATE: Our dojo is currently on hiatus, since the space has been rented out. We're searching for a new location, and might have something soon that would allow for expanded class times.

Hey all! Just a quick update to this thread, in case people were still interested...

We've moved, and expanded our schedule. We now hold classes at Action Tae Kwon Do (AKA the Ballet Caliente building) at 44727 St Andrews Church Road, California. And classes are six days a week - Mondays and Fridays 6:30-7:30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:30-7:30pm (two classes), Saturdays and Sundays 10:30am-12:00pm.

If you're interested, PM me, or email me at paxaikido@yahoo.com.