Ingrown Nails

J

jaybeeztoo

Has anyone ever had an ingrown toe nail removed? If so, what was involved in the procedure and how bad did it hurt? Also, where do you go for such a procedure?

:chicken:

belvak

Happy Camper
Has anyone ever had an ingrown toe nail removed? If so, what was involved in the procedure and how bad did it hurt? Also, where do you go for such a procedure?

:chicken:

Been there, done that! It actually isn't too bad. Depends on how ingrown and infected it is. Basically, they spray a "quick freeze" stuff on it to do a quick numb. Then they do the general numbing thing via a needle. Don't worry, by that time, you don't really feel it. Just a burning sensation. After that, it's a cake walk. Done before you know it. BTW, you generally go to a podiatrist for ingrown toenails. Good Luck!!! :huggy:

J

jaybeeztoo

Been there, done that! It actually isn't too bad. Depends on how ingrown and infected it is. Basically, they spray a "quick freeze" stuff on it to do a quick numb. Then they do the general numbing thing via a needle. Don't worry, by that time, you don't really feel it. Just a burning sensation. After that, it's a cake walk. Done before you know it. BTW, you generally go to a podiatrist for ingrown toenails. Good Luck!!! :huggy:

A needle in my toe!!!! :cds:

I can still wear shoes with no problem, but when I'm home relaxing, it's amazing how many time you bump your toe or something. It hurts like a mofo. It's red and swollen, but I'm scared to have someone even touch it.

I've had a few pedicures in the past and they help the situation for awhile, but it's gotten to the point where something real needs to be done.

I'm scared though.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Just snip the side of the toenail where it is ingrown and pull the side that is ingrown. This may hurt a bit and bleed but it will feel much better. It will be a little sore for a couple days but nothing like it is now.

tater

Had it done. It's been quite a few years ago....

Gave me 4 shots (two on top at base of toe, two underneath at base of toe). Then sawed (yes, sawed) down the middle of nail, then ripped it out with pliers.

Other than the shots, saw, and pliers it really wasn't that bad :yay:

Good luck :smoochy:

belvak

Happy Camper
:roflmao: Jaybee, don't listen to them! It really isn't bad. Once they spray the freeze stuff on it, just close your eyes and don't look! It isn't any worse than when the dentist numbs you before working on your teeth. And your toe will be so much better!!!! Honest Injun'!!!

tater

:roflmao: Jaybee, don't listen to them! It really isn't bad. Once they spray the freeze stuff on it, just close your eyes and don't look! It isn't any worse than when the dentist numbs you before working on your teeth. And your toe will be so much better!!!! Honest Injun'!!!

But I wasn't even lying :shrug:

I guess if she puts a blindfold on, it won't be that bad. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have watched. :whistle:

J

jaybeeztoo

Had it done. It's been quite a few years ago....

Gave me 4 shots (two on top at base of toe, two underneath at base of toe). Then sawed (yes, sawed) down the middle of nail, then ripped it out with pliers.

Other than the shots, saw, and pliers it really wasn't that bad :yay:

Good luck :smoochy:

:cds:

I may take JWWB's advice and do it myself. I don't want no shot or sawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
My big toe nails naturally grow into the sides that way. So I just take care of it myself. It hurts alot less than childbirth and my best suggestion is to soak your foot first in hot water. That softens the nail and surrounding skin. Then you just clip across and pull it out.

Don't mean to be graphic but heck why pay a surgeon for something you can do at home for free. Clean with alcohol after and in the future try to keep them clipped real good before it gets bad. You may see a few drops of blood but your toes are more durable than you may think.

belvak

Happy Camper

I may take JWWB's advice and do it myself. I don't want no shot or sawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T, I repeat, DO NOT try to do it yourself!!! You will end up in worse shape and it will be "ugly" infected too boot! Seriously, please let a podiatrist at least look at it before you go digging around on your own!

tater

My big toe nails naturally grow into the sides that way. So I just take care of it myself. It hurts alot less than childbirth and my best suggestion is to soak your foot first in hot water. That softens the nail and surrounding skin. Then you just clip across and pull it out.

Don't mean to be graphic but heck why pay a surgeon for something you can do at home for free. Clean with alcohol after and in the future try to keep them clipped real good before it gets bad. You may see a few drops of blood but your toes are more durable than you may think.

If it is too far gone.... you can't do it yourself. Depends on how bad it is I guess :buddies:

J

JustinB

I had both my big toes done they also put a chemical on it so it wouldn't grow back. The needle was the worst part for me but its nothing more than a pinch. They put a bandage on it and you can take it off after a few hours. It took 15 min. real simple.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
If it is too far gone.... you can't do it yourself. Depends on how bad it is I guess :buddies:

Ok, I can't stand long toenails so I trim them once a week. When I get pedicures the ladies always ask "Why you cut your nails so short?" I personally just cannot stand seeing the white of a nail on my toes. So I have obviously missed the sides a time or two and have taken care of it myself.

I guess it's just personal preference. I just don't like to feel a toenail scratching against my foot when I brush my foot up against my mate's.

I guess I have been lucky so far that I noticed it before the surgical intervention was needed.

Now, fingernails are a whole differnet story.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
DON'T, I repeat, DO NOT try to do it yourself!!! You will end up in worse shape and it will be "ugly" infected too boot! Seriously, please let a podiatrist at least look at it before you go digging around on your own!

I've always dug/pulled out my ingrown nails when I've had them and they didn't get "ugly" infected. Not sure why I haven't had one in awhile but I'm sure not complaining.

J

jaybeeztoo

That's kinda like a pedicure....letting the foot soak then work on it. I may try tomorrow. I've pulled them out before (it's a problem toe), but it's never been this painful.

belvak

Happy Camper
I've always dug/pulled out my ingrown nails when I've had them and they didn't get "ugly" infected. Not sure why I haven't had one in awhile but I'm sure not complaining.

OUCH!! I have also done that, but the one time I needed to go to the podiatrist and have it removed, it was really bad! I mean, really, ugly bad!! :shuddertoeventhinkaboutit bad:

tater

Ok, I can't stand long toenails so I trim them once a week. When I get pedicures the ladies always ask "Why you cut your nails so short?" I personally just cannot stand seeing the white of a nail on my toes. So I have obviously missed the sides a time or two and have taken care of it myself.

I guess it's just personal preference. I just don't like to feel a toenail scratching against my foot when I brush my foot up against my mate's.

I guess I have been lucky so far that I noticed it before the surgical intervention was needed.

Now, fingernails are a whole differnet story.

Doc told me it happened because I cut mine too short. Just sayin. Haven't cut 'em since. They're about 3 feet long now and curly like the ones in Guiness :buddies:

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!

I've had it done twice. The first time was like what they said. Novecain, snip, snip done. Not that bad. That's it. Get it done before it gets infected.

The second time it was wayyyyyyyy infected. They made me take meds for two weeks. I already waited too long to see the doc (excruciating pain).

Whenever it does come back I use a pair of dikes and pliers and rip 'em out. (more painful than the doc).

J

JustinB

That's kinda like a pedicure....letting the foot soak then work on it. I may try tomorrow. I've pulled them out before (it's a problem toe), but it's never been this painful.

Just get it done you won't have to play with you toes anymore.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I've had it done twice. The first time was like what they said. Novecain, snip, snip done. Not that bad. That's it. Get it done before it gets infected.

The second time it was wayyyyyyyy infected. They made me take meds for two weeks. I already waited too long to see the doc (excruciating pain).

Whenever it does come back I use a pair of dikes and pliers and rip 'em out. (more painful than the doc).

Yeah but just think of all the money your saving? :killingme It's just pain, once the nail is gone from the flesh and the blood is dried all is good.