InstantPot

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
apparently Instapots are great for cooking just rice

Currently I'm getting those ready-rice packs at the grocery store - heat and eat. Uncle Ben's rice packs are gross, but the Seeds of Change brand is fantastic. 90 seconds in the microwave. However, as much as I like brown rice, whole grains, and quinoa, it makes sense to do a bunch of it in the InstantPot. If I seal individual portions tightly after letting them cool completely, they should stay good for awhile.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I eat a lot of eggs and like to keep HB eggs in the fridge for snacking. IP makes them in just a few minutes, but best of all...the shells slide right off. Perfect unblemished hard boiled eggs.

You know, doing them the usual pot boiled way, it's sometimes hit-or-miss. Sometimes perfect peel, sometimes craters and mangled mess. I'll be interested to know if this is the 'norm' for the IP. That would be great!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I have a multi-function cooker (Not an IP, but a veru siimilar product). I use the pressure cooker and crock pot feature most frequently, and I love it, love it, love it. I got it as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I botched and moaned about getting yet another kitchen product that i likely wouldn't use. But I do use it....A LOT!

One thing to keep kind is that the rigid plastic "gasket" that rests inside the lid does take on an odor of whatever you cook. My lid still smells like beef stew, and it's been two weeks since I prepared beef stew.

General Lee

Currently I'm getting those ready-rice packs at the grocery store - heat and eat. Uncle Ben's rice packs are gross, but the Seeds of Change brand is fantastic. 90 seconds in the microwave.

I'll have to try the Seeds of Change, I like the Uncle Ben's brand especially the brown basmati.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have a multi-function cooker (Not an IP, but a veru siimilar product). I use the pressure cooker and crock pot feature most frequently, and I love it, love it, love it. I got it as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I botched and moaned about getting yet another kitchen product that i likely wouldn't use. But I do use it....A LOT!

One thing to keep kind is that the rigid plastic "gasket" that rests inside the lid does take on an odor of whatever you cook. My lid still smells like beef stew, and it's been two weeks since I prepared beef stew.

Is it a pressure cooker?

I used the snot out of my pressure cooker until it broke. I bought an air fryer last year and my family uses the crap out of that sucker.

I will have to look into an InstantPot since it just seems to be me and the Mr. most of the time anyway.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So if this thing is a pressure cooker also, can you use it as a pressure fryer for KFC, or breasted chicken?

I don't think so unless they have a special seal for it. Most pressure cookers, if you try to pressure fry it will melt the seal. HOWEVER, what I learned on my frying chicken odyssey is that frying the chicken, then draining and putting it in the pressure cooker for a couple minutes, resulted in KFC quality bird.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm making a roast with carrots and potatoes in the InstantPot but I have conflicting recipes. Some say sear the beef, then throw the veggies and broth/seasonings on top and pressure for an hour. Others say sear and pressure the beef for 50 minutes, then release, throw the veggies on top, and pressure for 10 minutes.

:tap:

I used the first method, with the logic that when you crockpot RCP, you throw it all in together for the same amount of time. When you do RCP in the oven, it all goes in the same roasting pan for the same amount of time. If the C and P end up mushy, I'll know better next time.

acommondisaster

I'm making a roast with carrots and potatoes in the InstantPot but I have conflicting recipes. Some say sear the beef, then throw the veggies and broth/seasonings on top and pressure for an hour. Others say sear and pressure the beef for 50 minutes, then release, throw the veggies on top, and pressure for 10 minutes.

I used the first method, with the logic that when you crockpot RCP, you throw it all in together for the same amount of time. When you do RCP in the oven, it all goes in the same roasting pan for the same amount of time. If the C and P end up mushy, I'll know better next time.

I don't know InstantPot personally, but our Sunday roast after church was always made in the pressure cooker...specked throughout with slivers of garlic then seared (in the pressure cooker) then the carrots, onions and potatoes thrown in (in large chunks, carrots whole or halved, and whole medium size onions). The veggies will be thoroughly cooked but not mushy. To my mind, there's nothing quite as good as onions that are flavored by a roast done in a pressure cooker - it's something close to carmelization, but not quite. We used to fight over them at our house.

PS...when the roast and veggies came out, Mom would bring the juices to a boil, add a bit of flour and water (mixed) and make the gravy. A one pot wonder - makes me want a pressure cooker again, thinking about it.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Both the carrots and potatoes were super mushy. The roast was perfect, but next time it needs an onion like ACD said above. Dinner was still delicious, but next time I'll do the roast (with onions) for 40 mins, then add the veggies for another 15 mins.

PeoplesElbow

I made the Christmas green beans in an electric pressure cooker, 5 minutes and they were perfect. The whole family commented how great the green beans were.

black dog

Free America

The part about flouring and searing the meat first will give your meat that actually was seared and not boiled and the leftover oil and brown bits in the pan are the best for making a stock to be cooked in. Just deglaze with a can of chicken stock and a spoon, drop the roast back in it, and then throw the pressure to it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just deglaze with a can of chicken stock and a spoon, drop the roast back in it, and then throw the pressure to it.

'Splain this to me Lucy. I keep seeing that term, but I'm not sure what it means. Our IP should arrive this coming week.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
'Splain this to me Lucy. I keep seeing that term, but I'm not sure what it means. Our IP should arrive this coming week.

Deglaze: after you sear meat in a non-stick pan, there are the brown bits stuck to the bottom. Pull the meat, then hit the hot pan with some liquid - broth or wine, beer works - and the bits will come loose so you can make a pan sauce with it or just add flavor to whatever you're cooking. This is also a good trick for cleaning the pan without a lot of scrubbing: toss about a half cup of water into the hot pan, burnt on bits come right off.

black dog

Free America

You score & flour your meat :cartwheel and brown it in some cooking oil, after all sides of the beef have been browned you remove the beef and pour a can of of chicken stock in the hot pan and while it is boiling mix and scrap the bottom of the pan to get all the brown bits to mix and float in the now enriched stock mix. It can be used as liquid for cooking the roast or later by adding to roux for making gravy.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Looking to buy one and am confused about which size to get and the number of things it can do options.

Whatcha got? :popcorn: