InstantPot

glhs837

Power with Control
It seems to me that the heat/pressurization delay would turn any vegetable to mush or does the IP work differently than a normal pressure cooker ?

Differently in that the IP can regulate pressure by adding or removing heat, I think. I've done a lot of veggies, both frozen and fresh and not had too many problems. Both times I did, it was me forgetting to vent immediately. If you try and do a pot roast and cook the veggies with the meat, it's gonna blast them. The roast gets done first, and then add the vegetables for the last two minutes. I mean, rice from dry takes five minutes of high pressure, then you let it bleed off for 10, then release whatever pressure is left. So obviously, softer things take less time in pressure and little to no no time to bleed. Potatoes ready to mash take 12 minutes of pressure with instant release, no time to bleed off naturally.

General Lee

Differently in that the IP can regulate pressure by adding or removing heat, I think. I've done a lot of veggies, both frozen and fresh and not had too many problems. Both times I did, it was me forgetting to vent immediately. If you try and do a pot roast and cook the veggies with the meat, it's gonna blast them. The roast gets done first, and then add the vegetables for the last two minutes. I mean, rice from dry takes five minutes of high pressure, then you let it bleed off for 10, then release whatever pressure is left. So obviously, softer things take less time in pressure and little to no no time to bleed. Potatoes ready to mash take 12 minutes of pressure with instant release, no time to bleed off naturally.

See, its great that users will share their experiences with cook times because IP doesn't tell you anything other than push the correct button for what you're cooking. Rice button for rice, poultry for poultry. etc. The rest is trial and error and waste food and money.

glhs837

Power with Control
See, its great that users will share their experiences with cook times because IP doesn't tell you anything other than push the correct button for what you're cooking. Rice button for rice, poultry for poultry. etc. The rest is trial and error and waste food and money.

I never use the function buttons. I always google a recipe. I was printing them out, but it's easier to just google them again :) The popular recipes have thousands of reviews and experiences behind them, the trial and error is done. And then, after you get some of those under your belt, you get a feel for whats what. I do poached eggs, three at a time, and I can dial in firmness as I want now, started doing them at five minutes, then walking the minutes back until I got to three minutes, right where I like them.

One of my best sources of recipes is one of the instant Pot - Recipes Only Facebook group. Nice thing about that it that any recipe posted is gong to have comments talking about it and ways to make it better, or variations for taste.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I never use the function buttons.

I use the function buttons for a reference. Most things I cook take less time than the function is programmed to. But the functions get smarter as you use them and will set to the time/pressure you change them to.

glhs837

Power with Control
I use the function buttons for a reference. Most things I cook take less time than the function is programmed to. But the functions get smarter as you use them and will set to the time/pressure you change them to.

No kidding, had no idea....... I should RTWFM, I suppose. :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Man,

Just got six drumsticks from the commissary. Gave them a Grillmates Sweet and Smokey dry rub, tossed in about 3/4 of a cup of water, set for high pressure, 20 minutes, then about 10 minutes before releasing what little pressure there was. Tossed them on the grill for a minute or two to crisp the skin........ man, talk about tender....... just threw some jasmine rice into the water left over, should be ready in about 15 minutes.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm Surprised you were able to get to pressure with that little of water.

The 6qt can work fine with between 1/2 and 3/4. Pressure is up between 7-9 minutes. You need enough to cover the bottom by a little bit. Depends on your recipe of course.

I just can't get on board with pressure cooking ever since attending a fancy outdoor wedding where they served chicken that had been prepared in a pressure cooker. It was the most disgusting texture and taste I had ever experienced with chicken. I also have a fear of explosions and don't want to blow up just because I'm making dinner.

glhs837

Power with Control
I just can't get on board with pressure cooking ever since attending a fancy outdoor wedding where they served chicken that had been prepared in a pressure cooker. It was the most disgusting texture and taste I had ever experienced with chicken. I also have a fear of explosions and don't want to blow up just because I'm making dinner.

These new ones have safety systems that remove the heat if the pressure gets too high and failing that, thermal fuse that actually melt and cuts power long before you get to explodey pressures. No fear of explosion. Dont think there have been any cases of exploding instant pots. AS for the texture and taste, I would guess that was due to the operator, in an old school not the method. One reason the old school went out of favor was that it takes a lot of effort to get them right. And that's why the new electronic ones are so in favor, they remove a lot of that effort.

https://instantpot.com/10-safety-mechanisms/

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Man,

Just got six drumsticks from the commissary. Gave them a Grillmates Sweet and Smokey dry rub, tossed in about 3/4 of a cup of water, set for high pressure, 20 minutes, then about 10 minutes before releasing what little pressure there was. Tossed them on the grill for a minute or two to crisp the skin........ man, talk about tender....... just threw some jasmine rice into the water left over, should be ready in about 15 minutes.

Smart move on reusing the left over chicken liquid. I'm a big fan of using homemade stocks and such. Growing up most of the meats I ate were served dry. As an adult I've become a big fan of various sauces. How much rice did you cook with approx. 3/4 water? Unless the bird had a lot of released juices, it doesn't sound like you could make a whole bunch with that little bit of liquid.

Smart move on reusing the left over chicken liquid. I'm a big fan of using homemade stocks and such. Growing up most of the meats I ate were served dry. As an adult I've become a big fan of various sauces. How much rice did you cook with approx. 3/4 water? Unless the bird had a lot of released juices, it doesn't sound like you could make a whole bunch with that little bit of liquid.
When I make my homemade salsa each year (I make vast amounts) I realized I was dumping the best part down the drain. So now, after the ingredients are blended and simmered, I strain over a huge pot and save the vitamin filled/flavorful liquid and freeze it in gallon sized freezer bags to use as base stock for soups all winter long. Because I chose my own ingredients, it is very low sodium and no added sugar so the stock makes a great base.

glhs837

Power with Control

Ended up being about a little over a cup in the pot, which will cook 3/4 to a cup of rice. Rule of thumb is one cup or 1.25 cups of water to one cup of rice.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't think 1.25 to 1 would work with brown rice only white....and white rice is meh.

Pretty much exclusivity jasmine rice these days. Son has some basmati I've not tried yet. Brown rice too chewy for me.. :)

Recipes I see show a 2 cups rice to 2.25 or 2.5 cup of water ratio for brown rice too. With cook times ranging from 20-24 minutes at high pressure, natural release. Of course, cook time in = texture out, and no two people are going to agree on the perfect texture, so you want to fiddle a bit. I would go low and add a couple minutes if it's not to your liking.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I must say I love, love, LOVE my Instant Pot. So far I have made lasagna, ribs, chicken, pot roast, and beans, and all have turned out great. I did buy an accessory kit with the small springform pan in it, which was used to make the lasagna. Only thing I didn't like was the noodles I used - Barilla Oven-Ready. They are flat as cardboard and taste that way. :lol:

Made a big batch of black beans yesterday for use in other dishes. High pressure for 25, cool for 20, and drain. Perfect! A trick I read was don't salt them before cooking as they won't allow them to cook fully. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Dont know about her, but I use whats called the 5-5-5 method. Five minutes on high pressure, then manually release the pressure after another five, followed by five minutes in an ice bath. I'm about 90% success for easy to peel, with some that dont. Usually when that happens, it's a whole batch that has issues, so I suspect those particular eggs.
I tried this tonight with 7 eggs (all that would fit in the egg rack I bought) and they came out PERFECT! :yahoo: