Interesting: Federal Waterfowl Stamp

somdshootnet

Interesting: Federal Waterfowl Stamp

I received my $15.00 Federal Waterfowl stamp in the mail today via my purchase from USPS.com I had no other option but to order it online and pay the additional $1.00 postage for it, since non of the local post offices even knew what it was (yay!) "One girl said, what's that? I've never heard of it before" she's been at the post office there for many years too.

Anyway, I expected a little envelope with the stamp in it for my $16.00 investment, instead I receive this really nice 8 x 11 sheet of card board with an 8 x 11 "certificate of appreciation" for my investment in the federal waterfowl conservation. What do I do with thing? spend more money to buy a frame? now I throw in the trash, The Man in green don't care if I have it folded up in my vest do he?

I'll try not to beat this dead horse anymore than need be, but, why couldn't they keep this useless, really fancy, but ultimately useless, certificate of appreciation and charge me $10.00 for the stamp and mail the stamp to me parcel post for 44 cents?

The point of all this is, now I feel like I'm investing in some rather useless printing costs rather than supporting anything of value to my sport. I figured the governments would have stolen enough of my money when they started making us pay for the Blackpowder and Bow stamps separately, when it used to be included in the Regular Resident... I once again feel cheated and robbed by my governments. I have attached a 2005 sample image of the certificate I got today for those who are not familiar with the certificate I paid too much for.

Thanks for letting me rant, but, if one has anything to add on this issue, please post up, I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

Attachments

• DuckCard2005.jpg
    DuckCard2005.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 103

oldman

Lobster Land
Aren't there a bunch of non-hunters that get them simply for their collections as an investment? For many years I was a stamp collector which taught me of geography, other countries and a bunch of history. Finally decided to get out of collecting and was sorely disappointed at what I got for my collection. Perhaps you could find a collector that may appreciate the cardboard? If nothing else it may get a kid interested. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
There's a Boy Scout Merit Badge for stamp collecting. PM Hunter - he's a scout leader (but heading out to the National Jamboree according to one of his posts)

somdshootnet

The stamp is mine LOL I need that part to play by the rules, the rest of the package is a pure waste of money. If they want to sell the whole package to collectors then they should offer that option, but, I guess I could use the paper certificate and cardboard for a target ???? Hey maybe not a waste after all.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
What post office did you go to? I always got them at the post office. there are tons of waterfowl hunters here.

There's a Boy Scout Merit Badge for stamp collecting. PM Hunter - he's a scout leader (but heading out to the National Jamboree according to one of his posts)
Tomorrow I will be packing and final prep for me and my Scout. Then heading to The Hill on Saturday morning. Up to DC on Sunday for the Parade (1st time since 1937 that BSA has marched in DC). Jambo starts Monday.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrt_ms1995

What post office did you go to? I always got them at the post office. there are tons of waterfowl hunters here.

:yeahthat:

Only problem I ever had getting one at the P.O. was once, early in a July coincidentally, when the new ones just hadn't arrived yet. And, yes, the man in green will care (but maybe not much) as you're suppose to affix it to your license and sign your name on the face.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
St Inigoes post office has waterfowl stamps for sale.

Some years ago, my uncle gave me his "duck" stamps dating back to the early 70s, because he knew I collected US stamps. According to the Scott's stamp catalogue, some are valued in the hundreds of dollars.

Of course, you'd have to find someone willing to pay the hundreds of dollars if you choose to sell them

somdshootnet

:yeahthat:

Only problem I ever had getting one at the P.O. was once, early in a July coincidentally, when the new ones just hadn't arrived yet. And, yes, the man in green will care (but maybe not much) as you're suppose to affix it to your license and sign your name on the face.

I'll post this again, since no one ever "reads" on this forum:

"Anyway, I expected a little envelope with the stamp in it for my $16.00 investment, instead I receive this really nice 8 x 11 sheet of card board with an 8 x 11 "certificate of appreciation" for my investment in the federal waterfowl conservation. What do I do with this thing? spend more money to buy a frame? no I throw it in the trash, The Man in green don't care if I have it folded up in my vest do he?"

note: we are talking about the certificate, not the stamp...

somdshootnet

Loveville Post Office has them and I'd bet that Leonardtown and Mechanicsville do also.

This is why I just went ahead and ordered the stamp from USPS.com. It seems like all the St. Marys PO's have them, but, not one on the western side of Charles county had them. it's cheaper for me to order the thing than drive all over southern "deed by gawd Merlund" for it...

Gas = $2.65 / Gal
Milk = $4.00 / Gal
Bottled Water = $25.00 / gal
USPS Shipping = $1.00 :yahoo:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'll post this again, since no one ever "reads" on this forum:

"Anyway, I expected a little envelope with the stamp in it for my $16.00 investment, instead I receive this really nice 8 x 11 sheet of card board with an 8 x 11 "certificate of appreciation" for my investment in the federal waterfowl conservation. What do I do with this thing? spend more money to buy a frame? no I throw it in the trash, The Man in green don't care if I have it folded up in my vest do he?"

note: we are talking about the certificate, not the stamp...

Sorry, thought we were talking about the post office's failure to have the stamp available for you.

If you had found one at a local PO, you would have paid $15 and NOT gotten a certificate. So, sounds to me like you got a bonus certificate - FREE!

The Federal Waterfowl Stamps are beautiful, and many people buy them with the express intention of framing them. To have them "matted" in a certificate makes a wonderful display.

Federal Duck Stamp Office: Home

from the web site:

•98 cents of every dollar used to purchase Duck Stamps goes directly to buying or leasing wetland habitat for wildlife.

So everyone who orders the stamp through the USPS website and doesn't fold it up in their vest to "just" go hunting with is still contributing to wildlife conservation. If "the man" has decided that they deserve a pretty little certificate, :yahoo:

(and those stamps my uncle gave me - folded up but never signed - shame on him!)

somdshootnet

Sorry, thought we were talking about the post office's failure to have the stamp available for you.

If you had found one at a local PO, you would have paid $15 and NOT gotten a certificate. So, sounds to me like you got a bonus certificate - FREE!

The Federal Waterfowl Stamps are beautiful, and many people buy them with the express intention of framing them. To have them "matted" in a certificate makes a wonderful display.

Federal Duck Stamp Office: Home

from the web site:

•98 cents of every dollar used to purchase Duck Stamps goes directly to buying or leasing wetland habitat for wildlife.

So everyone who orders the stamp through the USPS website and doesn't fold it up in their vest to "just" go hunting with is still contributing to wildlife conservation. If "the man" has decided that they deserve a pretty little certificate, :yahoo:

(and those stamps my uncle gave me - folded up but never signed - shame on him!)

Yeah, and the other $15.02 goes to printing this useless certificate that I have no need for in the field. The certificate serves no purpose, hell I can't even sell the certificate on ebay, it's useless without the actual stamp LOL.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Well I went to the Post Office here to again get my duck stamps. And for the 4th year in a row was told they weren't in. So I ordered them on-line for the 4th year in a row.

And in 2 or 3 months the Postmaster will tell me the stamps are in. For the
4th year in a row.

That thing that comes with the commemorative stamp probably costs about a penny to print.