Interesting to note

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
25 years after the "sexual revolution", genital herpes medicine is now advertised on TV and in magazines because, apparently, the disease is now common enough to make promotion of a brand name medication feasible and financially worthwhile.

I just thought that was interesting.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
25 years after the "sexual revolution", genital herpes medicine is now advertised on TV and in magazines because, apparently, the disease is now common enough to make promotion of a brand name medication feasible and financially worthwhile.

Again with the herpes. :lol:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

yet, still uncurable... :ohwell:

D

DMJ

vraiblonde said:

You're going to get yourself sued.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. :nono:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
DMJ said:
You're going to get yourself sued.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. :nono:
Are you high??

And beat it - this is a serious tread. Play with your girlfriend in the Private forum. :razz:

D

DMJ

vraiblonde said:
Are you high??

And beat it - this is a serious tread. Play with your girlfriend in the Private forum. :razz:
I love it when you get angry.

:love:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
25 years after the "sexual revolution"
For many years, I thought "sexual revolution" referred to the successful fight against the outmoded idea that women weren't supposed to enjoy sex. I think that idea was rooted in some men's insecurity. As founder of the Million Moan March, I'm on record as saying that men have a "husbandly duty" to satisfy their women, especially since sexual satisfaction is a given for men.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:

Yeah - I was grossed out by the ad last night.

When I was growing up, alleging herpes was: :war:.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess where I'm going with this is that the social activists went on and on about how women should be sexually free, monogamy is overrated, yadda yadda. And all we got out of it was more unplanned pregnancies and an epidemic of STDs. I don't think women are any happier or more fulfilled.

It's ironic that our culture promotes sex sex sex and our entertainment media makes it seem so glamorous and exciting - then they'll show a Valtrex commercial, which is decidedly unsexy. Kind of like showing a Viracept commercial right after a promo for "Brokeback Mountain".

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this "phenomenon".

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
vraiblonde said:
I guess where I'm going with this is that the social activists went on and on about how women should be sexually free, monogamy is overrated, yadda yadda. And all we got out of it was more unplanned pregnancies and an epidemic of STDs. I don't think women are any happier or more fulfilled.

It's ironic that our culture promotes sex sex sex and our entertainment media makes it seem so glamorous and exciting - then they'll show a Valtrex commercial, which is decidedly unsexy. Kind of like showing a Viracept commercial right after a promo for "Brokeback Mountain".

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this "phenomenon".

not that i'm agreeing with you (lol heaven forbid)

What gets me is they want to ban/label/curtail Cigarrette, violent video game, and liquor/beer adds because they are afraid it will influence the Kids ("do it for the children") but will get all upset and their panties in a twist if you try to criticize the "Sexing Up" (as in being promiscous is ok, Gay/Lesbian couples, etc.) of Ad's Tv etc

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SAHRAB said:
What gets me is they want to ban/label/curtail Cigarrette, violent video game, and liquor/beer adds because they are afraid it will influence the Kids ("do it for the children") but will get all upset and their panties in a twist if you try to criticize the "Sexing Up" (as in being promiscous is ok, Gay/Lesbian couples, etc.) of Ad's Tv etc
See, that's the thing: they banned advertising alcohol and cigarettes because they say it encourages kids to drink and smoke, yet those exact same people say that sex on TV and in pop music has no effect on kids.

I do not understand this.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
vraiblonde said:
See, that's the thing: they banned advertising alcohol and cigarettes because they say it encourages kids to drink and smoke, yet those exact same people say that sex on TV and in pop music has no effect on kids.

I do not understand this.
+

Stop your making sense :razz:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Tonio said:
For many years, I thought "sexual revolution" referred to the successful fight against the outmoded idea that women weren't supposed to enjoy sex. I think that idea was rooted in some men's insecurity. As founder of the Million Moan March, I'm on record as saying that men have a "husbandly duty" to satisfy their women, especially since sexual satisfaction is a given for men.

Marry Me?....... :huggy:

tirdun

staring into the abyss
vraiblonde said:
I guess where I'm going with this is that the social activists went on and on about how women should be sexually free, monogamy is overrated, yadda yadda. And all we got out of it was more unplanned pregnancies and an epidemic of STDs.
Except we didn't. The teenage pregnancy rate is lower today than in 1970. Here's some numbers from NCHS, pregnancy rates per 1000 women:

Year---<14----15->17
1973&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;64.9
1974&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;14.3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;66.4
1975&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;68
1976&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;67.5
1977&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;69.5
1978&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;14.6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;68.3
1979&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;70.4
1980&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;72.5
1981&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;71.5
1982&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;71.7
1983&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16.7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;72
1984&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16.8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;70.2
1985&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16.7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;70.9
1986&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;69.6
1987&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;70.5
1988&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;73.5
1989&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;74.4
1990&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;74.2
1991&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16.7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;72.9
1992&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17.0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;70.3
1993&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16.4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;69.4
1994&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;67.7
1995&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;14.3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;64.1
1996&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13.0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;60.4
1997&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11.9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;56.6
1998&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53.9
1999&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;50.5
2000&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10.0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48.2

Current unplanned teen pregnancy rates are near historic lows and abortion numbers hit an all time low in 2003.

STDs are a mixed bag

The number 1 infectious STD is Chlamydia
CDC said:
The national rate of reported chlamydia in 2004 was 319.6 cases per 100,000 population, an increase of 5.9 percent from 2003 (301.7). The increases in reported cases and rates likely reflect the continued expansion of screening efforts and increased use of more sensitive diagnostic tests, rather than an actual increase in new infections.

The gonorrhea rate is lower now than any point in history. Syphilis is on the rise recently, but it is still at 1/4 of 1980 rates.

Herpes HSV-2 is the big up and comer. 45 million people may have Herpes, and it is one of the few that are being transmitted more frequently.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
abortion numbers hit an all time low in 2003
That can't be possible because abortion wasn't readily available until the mid-70s.

The teenage pregnancy rate is lower today than in 1970.
Uh...why do you suppose that might be? Hint: think Roe v. Wade.

Your statistics are only from 1973 - the beginning of the sexual revolution. Try looking at stats from the 60s and 50s and you'll get a more accurate idea of what I'm talking about.