Investment - bots

SamSpade

I've only JUST found out about them - AI software that invests FOR YOU?

Has anyone done this?

Clem72

I've only JUST found out about them - AI software that invests FOR YOU?

Has anyone done this?
If you do your own taxes, avoid these even if you summarize your trades. And as far as I have seen they don't out perform the damn S&P index anyways.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Nothing, absolutely nothing, AI consumer/retail investor related software can, or will, be able to compete with the software installed and operated daily, 24/7, on the most powerful computers used by the huge hedge funds, with high speed fiber optic cables ran straight into all exchanges, and other financial institutions that utilize high frequency trading. If anyone thinks they could finagle the "system" to their favor by use of such software, think again. In addition, I would wager that if someone uses it, that the AI software will surreptitiously send that individuals trading information to a top hedge fund, or other financial institution, so they can take advantage of that user's gullibility and stupidity, thereby causing said user to lose all their money as it is siphoned away under the guise of any stock falling in price.

Sure, you might hear stories of people making money, winning, but then again, so do those that get someone, the hustler/dealer, and the "stranger that wins", to play the game, become the marks, and losers, of three card monte.

Caveat emptor, people. Caveat emptor.

Clem72

, I would wager that if someone uses it, that the AI software will surreptitiously send that individuals trading information to a top hedge fund, or other financial institution,
Most brokerages already do this. They don't send your trade directly to the exchange, they send it to their clearing partner who "bundles it". Conveniently, they bundle it with their own purchase/sale for the exact same commodity that takes advantage of any possible arbitrage. I.E. bid-ask spread is $0.25 on NVDA right now. You put in a limit buy for the mid-point, they bundle it with a higher priority (because yes there are priorities for filling bids) bid for $0.05 cents less, and a sale at a price matching your limit which gets sold to you and they pocket the difference.

This is why every time you buy a low spread stock (like SPY ETF which is generally 1 penny spread) you can get filled below your limit if the stock is fluctuating. But if you pick a high spread stock like that NVDA you will almost always get filled at your absolute limit because it was worth it for them to snipe your order.

Clem72

Short the MTG fund, what a dofus!

This just shows your lack of investment acumen. The fact that this company was so imbedded in so many different industries and applications shows that it was a pretty solid investment. It's not like you can figure on them making a retarded once in a business-lifetime (because it should kill your business) FUBAR decision right after you invest.

That's like saying "look at this idiot, invested in that fly-by-night company Coca Cola right before they decided to change their secret recipe to include the chemicals that turn the fricken frogs gay".
Angry Frogs GIF by angy frog

SamSpade

Big deal, pretty much anyone has had a few disappointments in the market on individual stocks, I know I have. Once again, the ONLY folks who don't f**k up are those that never try.
I sure have. A few years ago, I even bought utilities type stock - basically - WATER companies. And I lost money. I thought those things NEVER lost money.

Clem72

I sure have. A few years ago, I even bought utilities type stock - basically - WATER companies. And I lost money. I thought those things NEVER lost money.
How does that happen? Water companies have a license to print money. Hell, half the time they have a protected monopoly.

PeoplesElbow

Dunno. But lost 20% during COVID.
A lot of reasons stocks like those went down because they are very well represented in funds, due to the panic people were getting out of funds as well as individual stocks, couple that with the lack of anyone wanting to get into stocks at the time and nothing was a safe haven.

I still have stcks I bought during this time.

SamSpade

A lot of reasons stocks like those went down because they are very well represented in funds, due to the panic people were getting out of funds as well as individual stocks, couple that with the lack of anyone wanting to get into stocks at the time and nothing was a safe haven.

My guess is, during the pandemic, people dug into savings and stocks. Like I did.

phreddyp

I try to buy the most stocks when " Blood is in the streets" most folks are cashing out. I have a ton of stocks that pay 8,9,10% percent dividends on the original money they were bought with, when folks were running for the exits. I have followed Warren Buffet into sectors several times and almost all have been winners. I am looking forward to the next major correction, should be a great buying opportunity.

PeoplesElbow

I try to buy the most stocks when " Blood is in the streets" most folks are cashing out. I have a ton of stocks that pay 8,9,10% percent dividends on the original money they were bought with, when folks were running for the exits. I have followed Warren Buffet into sectors several times and almost all have been winners. I am looking forward to the next major correction, should be a great buying opportunity.
Same here I backed the truck up on oil stocks and the USO fund.