Is it time to hand over Charles County...

onel0126

Bead mumbler
to the Southeast DC and PG folks? I truly do not want to turn this discussion into a racial discussion. However, every day I read the Baynet or in the Independent of yet another story about arrests of young black men (most with extensive rap sheets) being arrested for committng crimes in Charles County. I'm neither an alarmist or a racist. The purpose of this post is to ask others their opinions. Many factors have led to Charles County becoming more racially diverse. However the abolishment of rent control in PG seems to really have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I invite people of all races to weigh in here. Charles County will elect or re-elect a sheriff this year. Does it matter? Is it time to move? Was Calvert County's way of deterring this the right way--no cheap housing in the northern part? I drove by the park and ride lot the other evening by the mall. The stop for the Van Go bus was the biggest eye opener for me of late. There seems to be two issues. Crimes committed by residents and crimes committed by young men who don't even live here--just see it as a target rich enviornment as is evidence by this latest story: Sheriff's Officers Apprehend Suspect Wanted in Robbery and Thefts of iPods, Electronics - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

SG_Player1974

to the Southeast DC and PG folks? I truly do not want to turn this discussion into a racial discussion. However, every day I read the Baynet or in the Independent of yet another story about arrests of young black men (most with extensive rap sheets) being arrested for committng crimes in Charles County. I'm neither an alarmist or a racist. The purpose of this post is to ask others their opinions. Many factors have led to Charles County becoming more racially diverse. However the abolishment of rent control in PG seems to really have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I invite people of all races to weigh in here. Charles County will elect or re-elect a sheriff this year. Does it matter? Is it time to move? Was Calvert County's way of deterring this the right way--no cheap housing in the northern part? I drove by the park and ride lot the other evening by the mall. The stop for the Van Go bus was the biggest eye opener for me of late. There seems to be two issues. Crimes committed by residents and crimes committed by young men who don't even live here--just see it as a target rich enviornment as is evidence by this latest story: Sheriff's Officers Apprehend Suspect Wanted in Robbery and Thefts of iPods, Electronics - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

I hate to say it but the only way that streets are going to get cleaned is if we employ the same tactic that Los Angeles did in the mid to late 80's to combat gang crime. They basically sent out EVERY available officer as part of an anti-gang task force and arrested ANYONE that looked suspicious! Some call it "profiling." I call it a pre-emptive strike against crime! Unless we use drastic measures such as these, we are going to be forced to live with this.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I avoid Charles County as much as possible because of the rapid growth, traffic, crime and honestly just feeling out of place there.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I am happy where I am but see the crime and criminals slowly taking over the northern party of the county, and it's moving south, as evidenced in this story. For that reason, I don't go to the mall at night and only occasionally during the day, but I probably wouldn't go to any mall at night anyway. Part of the problem, aside from the criminals themselves, is easy access to the county via the route 5/301 corridor. Easy-in, easy-out. Time to set up a checkpoint at the border.

P

playerhater

I hate to say it but the only way that streets are going to get cleaned is if we employ the same tactic that Los Angeles did in the mid to late 80's to combat gang crime. They basically sent out EVERY available officer as part of an anti-gang task force and arrested ANYONE that looked suspicious! Some call it "profiling." I call it a pre-emptive strike against crime! Unless we use drastic measures such as these, we are going to be forced to live with this.

Crime is everywhere you go, and of course in more densily populated areas your going to see more of it. I see blk and wht photos posted in the BayNet for drugs or whatever, so for sure its not a racial issue. It seems the mind set today is rob and steal. The idiots that do this I think come from a disfunctional family or get mixed with the wrong crowd. Maybe being a criminal is their way of coping with reality, they don't want to face the ugly truth that they have made nothing of their life so its substituded with the mindset of this is what I am, a nothing. So they act like nothing, no brain committing crime doing the most dumbest things. When they are caught what does society do, hope they stay behind bars, ours justice system is a JOKE. They are out of the jail the next day. If I was president law would be to chop hands, fingers or genitile that match your crime. May sound animalistic but do you hear of much crime in countries that practice this type of justice. Surprised I even typed this much, guess I am sick of it too.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I am happy where I am but see the crime and criminals slowly taking over the northern party of the county, and it's moving south, as evidenced in this story. For that reason, I don't go to the mall at night and only occasionally during the day, but I probably wouldn't go to any mall at night anyway. Part of the problem, aside from the criminals themselves, is easy access to the county via the route 5/301 corridor. Easy-in, easy-out. Time to set up a checkpoint at the border.

I do see in the paper and hear on the radio that a lot of the criminals are from out of county with one of gang from Chuck County. You're right, easy in, easy out...

P

playerhater

Its a shame we can't go out anymore without having to look over our shoulders all the time. Wherever I go I check out my entire sourroundings all the time.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I do see in the paper and hear on the radio that a lot of the criminals are from out of county with one of gang from Chuck County. You're right, easy in, easy out...

Not to say that Chuck County doesn't have homegrown criminals and gang acivity because it does, but a lot has to do with our proximity to PG and easy access from DC. There also seems to be a lot more criminal activity in the neighborhoods surrounding the mall than other areas of the county. I'm just sayin'.

limblips

PREMO Member

Handing over Chuck County is not the answer. PG County, Baltimore County and others have been "handed over". We need to stop the crime. No more slap on the wrists, no more plea bargain, jail!!!! With Bubba the obese homo as a cell mate!

dan0623_2000

A group does not take over an area unless you move out and give it to them. Stand up for your rights. If you think you see someting illegal going on, call 911 and report it. If an officer does not respond in what you consider a reasonable amount of time, call 911 back and ask what happened. You can also request the officer contact you and give you a run down on what happened. Don't just assume someone else will take care of the problem. It's time to be active in helping law enforcement officers get rid of these wanna be gang bangers. Make life miserable for them. When they realize the comunity is not going to put up with their crap they will leave. It's not going to be easy and it would happen over night.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
What's in Waldorf will encompass all of Southern Maryland in 5 years
:fixed:
A group does not take over an area unless you move out and give it to them. Stand up for your rights. If you think you see someting illegal going on, call 911 and report it. If an officer does not respond in what you consider a reasonable amount of time, call 911 back and ask what happened. You can also request the officer contact you and give you a run down on what happened. Don't just assume someone else will take care of the problem. It's time to be active in helping law enforcement officers get rid of these wanna be gang bangers. Make life miserable for them. When they realize the comunity is not going to put up with their crap they will leave. It's not going to be easy and it would happen over night.
Many people have to move (jobs, military) so we can't keep everyone here.

I've tried the calling the cops thing but they can't ever get here on time, so I wrote to the Sheriff to get action and then the neighborhood cop got in trouble...oh well! We had a big "jungle noise" problem here and I could no longer stand it! Since they couldn't catch the punks with the loud noises, I suggested that the cop get out of his car and knock on the doors of the offenders (like they did years ago when I was younger) and it worked! Most of the loud music stopped. Now all I have to do is send him an email with the vehicle description and tag number if I hear other offenders.

I totally agree with you but most neighbors are sissy's that don't want to get involved. They're afraid of retaliation which never happens here. When I wrote the Sheriff, he said that he wasn't aware of the problem here because hardly anyone ever called about it! He said: if he saw a boatload of complaints on this issue, he would have jumped on it. I told my neighbors that they disgust me! I said: DON'T talk to me if you won't take part in fixing these problems! You're a big part of the problem here since you wouldn't call it in!

I've lived here since 1985 and it wasn't until 1997 that my home was broken into by a 16 year old black kid.
Since seeing the "foot traffic" here change over the last few years and the fact that my home is "eyed" a lot by passers by, I've been forced to carry on my property. Is this how I want to live? No, hell no! But, after reading that some punks came right into a man's driveway in Waldorf while he was washing his rice bike, pointed a gun at him and took his keys then rode it away, yes I will carry.
I seriously doubt that it will get better here. DC & PG hasn't gotten better in the last 35 years so.....

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I drove by the park and ride lot the other evening by the mall. The stop for the Van Go bus was the biggest eye opener for me of late.
That was always a scary scene to me too. It's like an unofficial gathering point; you would think cops would sit right there and observe people - couldn't be long before they would find somebody with a warrant or something.

I remember watching a documentary years ago about the changing demographics of some area that had gone from rural/suburban to urban. The "white flight" was noted as one of the greatest forces advancing the change; it's like a domino effect, a vacuum that invites more change faster.

Hard to say what solution there might be aside from simply finding a new area. Seems like the area - and the nation in general - are on a one-way track. :ohwell:

Sweet 16

^^8^^

Great idea but it won't happen because the ACLU, NAACP and Casa de Maryland will step in and defend these thugs, label us bigots and racists and make our lives miserable. Look at what's going on in California if you don't think it can happen here.

BOP

:fixed:

Many people have to move (jobs, military) so we can't keep everyone here.

I've tried the calling the cops thing but they can't ever get here on time, so I wrote to the Sheriff to get action and then the neighborhood cop got in trouble...oh well! We had a big "jungle noise" problem here and I could no longer stand it! Since they couldn't catch the punks with the loud noises, I suggested that the cop get out of his car and knock on the doors of the offenders (like they did years ago when I was younger) and it worked! Most of the loud music stopped. Now all I have to do is send him an email with the vehicle description and tag number if I hear other offenders.

I totally agree with you but most neighbors are sissy's that don't want to get involved. They're afraid of retaliation which never happens here. When I wrote the Sheriff, he said that he wasn't aware of the problem here because hardly anyone ever called about it! He said: if he saw a boatload of complaints on this issue, he would have jumped on it. I told my neighbors that they disgust me! I said: DON'T talk to me if you won't take part in fixing these problems! You're a big part of the problem here since you wouldn't call it in!

I've lived here since 1985 and it wasn't until 1997 that my home was broken into by a 16 year old black kid.
Since seeing the "foot traffic" here change over the last few years and the fact that my home is "eyed" a lot by passers by, I've been forced to carry on my property. Is this how I want to live? No, hell no! But, after reading that some punks came right into a man's driveway in Waldorf while he was washing his rice bike, pointed a gun at him and took his keys then rode it away, yes I will carry. I seriously doubt that it will get better here. DC & PG hasn't gotten better in the last 35 years so.....

But, but, but....they have GUN LAWS in DC!!!!