Is there a rec center to shoot hoops in St.Mary's?

zar

Theist
In calvert and PG they have plenty of rec centers where you can go and pick up a basketball and shoot or play some games with friends indoor.. I called the rec offices in St.Mary's and they weren't very helpful (imagine a resident calling to inquire about recreation venues but apparently they're none). So any ideas?

zar

Theist
According to their website there is drop in basketball for adults. :shrug:

great, so I can go pay $5 to shoot basketball for two hours once a week when in any other county you can do it whenever I want for free

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
great, so I can go pay $5 to shoot basketball for two hours once a week when in any other county you can do it whenever I want for free

Do you have base access? Or why not meet your buddies at a park or schoolyard?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

We tried having a rec center here but the druggies took it over and they had to shut it down. Normal people don't get nice things in St. Marys, only criminals do.

Can't wait until they make drugs legal! :starcat:

tipsymcgee

Yeah, the base is your only option as far as real pickup game basketball. You can rent the little gym at Margaret Brent for like a two-hour spot for basketball. It's pretty reasonable if you can get 8 or 10 guys to commit. All other courts are pretty much school gyms and not accessible to public.

zar

Theist
We tried having a rec center here but the druggies took it over and they had to shut it down. Normal people don't get nice things in St. Marys, only criminals do.

Can't wait until they make drugs legal! :starcat:

hmm every county has drug problems, this seems like a administrative failure rather than a drug problem although I'm unaware of what happened in this instance. You'd think they'd be able to have a cop on patrol or a security officer. I mean with all the wasteful government jobs how about a useful one? It's not like the cops are overly busy here anyways.

tipsymcgee

They can't even have a normal rec and parks adult basketball league with supervision...too many fights and trouble. Used to have it at Great Mills High and had fights, riots, etc. The only league is for women and men 35 or 40 and older.

Restless

I think it would be awesome to have a YMCA here. I'm very surprised we don't. Even where our family lives in the boonies of Missouri, they have a nice one. How does one even go about getting one, I wonder.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it would be awesome to have a YMCA here. I'm very surprised we don't. Even where our family lives in the boonies of Missouri, they have a nice one. How does one even go about getting one, I wonder.

This is the only place I've ever lived that didn't have a YMCA. Even dinky little Waynesboro, PA had a Y.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
This is the only place I've ever lived that didn't have a YMCA. Even dinky little Waynesboro, PA had a Y.

I've always wondered this. I love YMCA. It would totally save me on a gym membership too. I still keep my family's membership so I can use the Y back home when I visit the 'rents. For retired military, doesn't cost my father any extra to keep me on and I can use any Y in the country.

Instead it seems World Gym has monopolized most of SoMD and I'm stuck paying for a gym that doesn't cater to average gym goers. And clearly, none of my money is being put to use in the World Gym at Wildewood :dead:......but I don't have any other choice if most of my gym use is put in classes :shrug:

Shiat, even King George has a YMCA. Their class schedule is way more diverse and better planned than World Gym.

MarieB

I often wondered why there isn't one here. The last place I lived had one, and membership was $70 a month for a family.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Because for years the people in charge in all three Counties wouldn't even talk to the YMCA, which has wanted to come down here for years. They've finally given up.

Part of the reason was that the locals felt the Y would compete with them, especially the Y's daycare program. Part of the reason was that the Commissioners didn't want a recreational program that wasn't controlled in some fashion by them through Parks and Rec. Another part was that the belief was that the Y would bring on strange ideas.

garyt27

INAFJ
Because for years the people in charge in all three Counties wouldn't even talk to the YMCA, which has wanted to come down here for years. They've finally given up.

Part of the reason was that the locals felt the Y would compete with them, especially the Y's daycare program. Part of the reason was that the Commissioners didn't want a recreational program that wasn't controlled in some fashion by them through Parks and Rec. Another part was that the belief was that the Y would bring on strange ideas.

Like this?

Village People - YMCA OFFICIAL Music Video 1978 - YouTube