Is There Any Recourse Against MVA?

TPD

the poor dad
I don't think any of us in Deb's district complained about her. She was always at events talking to folks. She always let us know what she was doing as a delegate. She came door-to-door through our neighborhood and spent 15-20 minutes talking to my wife. I liked her even if she was an Air Force vet.

Deb was just in the store yesterday - spent about an hour talking with her. She has always been accessible for me.

Crosby is practically invisible....even more so after he was made fully aware he was doing a really piss poor job of representing the views and positions of many he purported to represent. Just another empty suit looking at a local position only as an annoying stepping stone to higher ones.
I don’t think he has ever been South of Hermanville Road……hides in the Park

I have yet to meet Crosby in person. I have talked to him twice via telephone.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had a problem with the VIN code on a truck. DMV was saying the insurance was invalid because the VIN on the registration didn't match the VIN on the insurance. They looked identical. Spent hours at DMV trying to get it right, get an ok, go on our merry way, and a month later get a nastygram from DMV again threatening fines, taking the truck, etc.... On the third trip to DMV to fix this, I saw it was an IBM terminal. I asked to look at the screen. If anyone knows the older IBM fonts, you know where I'm going here....

DMV had typed in "0" when they should have typed "O". On an IBM terminal system, you cannot tell the difference on the printed version, both look the same, but on the screen, the "0" has a slash thru it. I spotted it, pointed it out to the clerk. She agreed, made the fix and we never heard from them again.

Lots of time and energy wasted for a typo.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Deb was just in the store yesterday - spent about an hour talking with her. She has always been accessible for me.

Last time a couple of Crosby electioneers darkened my doorstep...I do not think they've ever been flayed such before without the use of profanity.

TPD

the poor dad
Update - my brother has been on the phone with the insurance company the last couple of days. I gotta give it to State Farm - they have called MVA on behalf of my brother to straighten this out. Insurance company told him his insurance has not lapsed. MVA has no flags in their system so they don't know why his tags were taken.

So the next question is - how current and/or accurate is the data base that the police are using for their tag readers? Anyone had experience with this? Do they directly access MVA records or is there a daily/weekly/monthly download from MVA where there is a chance for data corruption? At this point, insurance company says nope, your insurance has never lapsed since you owned the vehicle. MVA says nope, no flags in our system for your vehicle. But SMC Sheriff's office says yup, give us your tags - our system says there is a problem!

I have always been against tag readers, more so now than ever and this is not even my problem! For all you people who say, what is the worry if you are not a criminal, I say to you go F^CK yourself because you don't have to be a criminal to get caught up in the system! My brother is taking this better than me because I would be calling the sheriff, the states attorney, my elected representatives, the newspaper, an attorney, etc. This is BS! Luckily for my brother he didn't have to pay a tow bill or rental car fee while this is straightened out - I towed him for free, he has a 2nd vehicle to use. But for anyone who doesn't have these resources, they would be out a few hundred dollars already and still not have their tags back. And to add to the injury - he was pulled over and tags taken on his birthday!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Is There Any Recourse Against MVA?
Well, one could follow the Amish mode of transportation and bypass the MVA altogether. Or, saddle up that 'ole stead and ride into town for what's needed. Plus it has great benefits. It causes one to slow down, see more of what you are passing by. Being more one with nature. Making that human connection with your horse, which is great, because they, on average, with proper care, can live to 40. Plus, if you do have to visit an MVA office, say for your farm truck, take your horse instead so it can fertilize the MVA's parking lot while you conduct your business, while your horse is doing it's business. Pro tip: Make sure it's well fed before the trip with lots of hay and maybe a couple of scoops of feed to ensure copious amounts parking lot fertilizer. And make sure you tie up close to the front door.

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control
I have always been against tag readers, more so now than ever and this is not even my problem! For all you people who say, what is the worry if you are not a criminal, I say to you go F^CK yourself because you don't have to be a criminal to get caught up in the system! My brother is taking this better than me because I would be calling the sheriff, the states attorney, my elected representatives, the newspaper, an attorney, etc. This is BS! Luckily for my brother he didn't have to pay a tow bill or rental car fee while this is straightened out - I towed him for free, he has a 2nd vehicle to use. But for anyone who doesn't have these resources, they would be out a few hundred dollars already and still not have their tags back. And to add to the injury - he was pulled over and tags taken on his birthday!

I think you can find me railing against them for other reasons since they first came around. The plusses are not worth loss of privacy and addition of huge gobbmint surveillance state BS. One of the issues is that, because the govt knows its a bad look to have petabytes of location data on citizens laying around (unlike the NSA, hard to hide this data since its collected openly) they have the workaround of just "borrowing" the readers from companies who lend them for free in return for the data. Maryland swears they scrub the data after I think 90 days, but they never mention who gets copies before they do. And then the police just pay for access to the contractors database. As can anyone else. All they need is a tag number and they can get a pretty comprehensive look into your life.

I did want to ask where they mostly tag your brother. I keep my eyes open for the readers and I've not seen them too often, maybe once or twice in say six months.

Grumpy

I did want to ask where they mostly tag your brother. I keep my eyes open for the readers and I've not seen them too often, maybe once or twice in say six months.
6, 7 years ago you saw them everywhere but not lately..think I have seen one in the last year..maybe they are set up inside of the vehicles now, I don't know.

TPD

the poor dad
The first time they got him was between Hermanville and gate 2. He was going north, deputy going south. Turn around and followed him to Toyota dealership before pulling him over. Not sure where he was the 2nd time he was stopped.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

He stopped by Buzzy’s when he was first running. All he would talk
about was his service. Nothing political…..he didn’t have a clue. I knew then he was a Steny bot…..

mitzi

Update - my brother has been on the phone with the insurance company the last couple of days. I gotta give it to State Farm - they have called MVA on behalf of my brother to straighten this out. Insurance company told him his insurance has not lapsed. MVA has no flags in their system so they don't know why his tags were taken.

So the next question is - how current and/or accurate is the data base that the police are using for their tag readers? Anyone had experience with this? Do they directly access MVA records or is there a daily/weekly/monthly download from MVA where there is a chance for data corruption? At this point, insurance company says nope, your insurance has never lapsed since you owned the vehicle. MVA says nope, no flags in our system for your vehicle. But SMC Sheriff's office says yup, give us your tags - our system says there is a problem!

Can you imagine the 1000s of people this has happened to. Not just your brother's experience (I'm glad it's straightened out) but all the other cluster * the MVA can come up with. I forgot to mention this before. When my problems happened it was a long 4th of July weekend. I received their letter on the 3rd. Friday was the 4th. My ex was away for a week. I was stuck home til Monday terrified to go anywhere, knowing they'd pull my tag if I was pulled over. What was worse, my ex drove all the way to SC on dead tags. He had been down there 3 days when I received the letter. I can't stress enough how I hate MVA.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I ran into an issue with MVA yesterday trying to renew my tags on-line. Did all the verification stuff and it kicked back that I had to have a physical address and not a PO Box (I have both). The kicker was that there was no place that had my address listed where I could go in and fix the "issue".

Tried for an hour.

DannyMotorcycle

Someone tried to steal my friends motorcycle while parked in dc. Insuranced totalled it. He did a owners retention buyback. He sold it to me.
I sold it to a friend. I took it to md safety inspection as required for owner retentions. We ordered a duplicate title. title came. went to mva to register it to the new friend. they say nope a new title has been issued. We applied for a new duplicate title never came. it's been like over a year trying to get the mva to send the damn title between phone calls and letters. "oh i see the problem. we'll call you back".. no call back.. we sent in the form for title not received.. they mailed it back without any letter saying anything.. :(

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Someone tried to steal my friends motorcycle while parked in dc. Insuranced totalled it. He did a owners retention buyback. He sold it to me.
I sold it to a friend. I took it to md safety inspection as required for owner retentions. We ordered a duplicate title. title came. went to mva to register it to the new friend. they say nope a new title has been issued. We applied for a new duplicate title never came. it's been like over a year trying to get the mva to send the damn title between phone calls and letters. "oh i see the problem. we'll call you back".. no call back.. we sent in the form for title not received.. they mailed it back without any letter saying anything.. :(
Maryland Government At Its Finest.