Is this Abuse?

SugarNSpikes

Hi guys,

Quick question.

What is your definition of neglect/animal abuse?

I went to a farm this past weekend and saw a man there shoeing his own horse. I asked if he was certified, and he said no, but he's watched the ferrier "enough times" and you can buy your own equipment at TSC. I'm no expert, but the horses feet were uneven, had an incredibly long toe, with absolutely no heel, and the shoes did not fit at ALL. When the horse walked (for the two steps he did take), he looked completely sore and lame.

I'm not sure what to do - Should I look the other way and forget about it? Or would it be appropriate to notify someone? It's really not any of my business, but I just felt so bad.

Cowgirl

I think it would be hard to get that to be considered abuse if the horses are otherwise well cared for. Maybe you can explain that you can't just watch farriers and know how to do it. I'd also point out exactly which horses are lame and how to tell.

highnote

I dont think contacting animal control would do you any good (as long as the horse is otherwise in good shape). Sadly even some "professional" FARRIER'S work gives the same result (long toe, no heel, soreness). There's too many do-it-yourselfers in this area who think they can do everything themselves... I won't go into everything I've seen, but this is small in comparison. Let it go. If you want to do anything, try to educate the owner if he is open to suggestion.

devinej

I'd talk to the owner and point out the lameness. other than that i don't think you can do anything...

Robin

Just because someone shoes their own horse does not warrant abuse. Perhaps there is more history of lameness in the horse without shoes.
If the overall health and looks of the horse were fine, leave it alone.