Is this an over reaction?

Did the school adminstration over react or not?

• The school adminstration over reacted.

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • The school adminstration was right to call the police.

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

awpitt

Main Streeter
There was no profanity, no hate. Just the words, "I love my friends Abby and Faith. Lex was here 2/1/10 :)" scrawled on the classroom desk with a green marker.
Alexa Gonzalez, an outgoing 12-year-old who likes to dance and draw, expected a lecture or maybe detention for her doodles earlier this month. Instead, the principal of the Junior High School in Forest Hills, New York, called police, and the seventh-grader was taken across the street to the police precinct.

Girl's arrest for doodling raises concerns about zero tolerance - CNN.com

awpitt

Main Streeter
I can't help to think that a good paddling would've been a better choice. Too bad pricipals aren't allowed to do that anymore. Maybe make her folks should have to pay for the desk. Maybe the girl could mop floors at the school on Saturdays. It just seems that there were better options than having to call the police.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That is ridiculous. This moron:
the principal of the Junior High School in Forest Hills, New York
should be locked in a padded cell for his/her own safety and the safety of others. At the very least, this person should never be allowed to interact with kids ever again, and certainly not be in an authority position over them.

Definatly over the top, that principal should be fired.

From what I gather it is not "the principal" or "the teacher" or etc. but rather a documented "zero tolerance" policy. School administrators have no choice if they are being held to policy that does not allow for discression. They community should be fighting to get the policy changed.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
From what I gather it is not "the principal" or "the teacher" or etc. but rather a documented "zero tolerance" policy. School administrators have no choice if they are being held to policy that does not allow for discression. They community should be fighting to get the policy changed.
St. Mary's County has a pretty ridiculous policy, too. Girl told me a student got in trouble for tossing a wrapped snack across the lunch table one time. :confused:

St. Mary's County has a pretty ridiculous policy, too. Girl told me a student got in trouble for tossing a wrapped snack across the lunch table one time. :confused:

I see nothing wrong with a student getting in trouble for propelling a hoho, but the consequences should be graduated with each offense... aggressively graduated is okay, but a beat down and cuffs should be the third offense...not the first.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Well how else are we supposed to turn our future leaders into little robots?

Pete

Repete
About what year was it when the police became the first line of discipline in schools?

It is a matter of school administrators and school boards tired of dealing with it?

You never saw cops in our school hauling away some felonious doodler. William H. Fort took care of it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I see nothing wrong with a student getting in trouble for propelling a hoho, but the consequences should be graduated with each offense... aggressively graduated is okay, but a beat down and cuffs should be the third offense...not the first.

The student didn't "throw" the snack as to assault someone, it was more of a "Here, I don't want this, you can have it..." toss.

I'd agree with you if it was done to hurt someone, but it wasn't.

The student didn't "throw" the snack as to assault someone, it was more of a "Here, I don't want this, you can have it..." toss.

I'd agree with you if it was done to hurt someone, but it wasn't.

Oh hell... I agree that's just nuts... :lol: I was thinking it was a hoho assault.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Kenneth Trump, a security expert who founded the National School Safety and Security Services consulting firm, said focusing on security is essential to the safety of other students. He said zero tolerance policies can work if "common sense is applied."
If common sense is applied, there wouldn't be a need or place for zero tolerance policies.

If common sense is applied, there wouldn't be a need or place for zero tolerance policies.

It all boils down to litigation. A zero tolerance policy leaves no room for opinion thereby greatly reducing grounds for civil suit action on Judge Judy.

Pete

Repete
"Policy" is what you have to have when you can't find quality people who can reason, think, lack courage or you are afraid to invest authority in them. They have to have it to fall back on. "Policy" is faceless, it is easier to institute a "policy" than it is to face a helicopter parent of a cretin, tell them to STFU, get their spawn and leave. Once instituted "policy" knows no degrees.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It all boils down to litigation. A zero tolerance policy leaves no room for opinion thereby greatly reducing grounds for civil suit action on Judge Judy.
Is that a good reason for accepting the policy or for fixing the legal system?