Is this normal?

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I met some horses today that are slobbering A LOT. The one I saw almost looked like it was throwing up spit from time to time, like when you put a hose in a horse's mouth and then they spit the water out all at once. The horse looks healthy, pooped nicely, and acted just fine. I called a friend who said the horse sounded like it had just choked, but this is more than one horse and the horses are in more than one location. Any thoughts? I have never seen this, so I wanted to see if any of you have. :confused:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sadielady said:
I met some horses today that are slobbering A LOT. The one I saw almost looked like it was throwing up spit from time to time, like when you put a hose in a horse's mouth and then they spit the water out all at once. The horse looks healthy, pooped nicely, and acted just fine. I called a friend who said the horse sounded like it had just choked, but this is more than one horse and the horses are in more than one location. Any thoughts? I have never seen this, so I wanted to see if any of you have. :confused:
:lmao: yes, mine are doing this also. The isleway(sl) in our barn is saturated with slobber. Percy's barn has it too. We get it every year from what I think are when the horses eat the white heads off the clover. It is disgusting and I have to dodge the horses when I feed so they don't get it on me...ewww!

K

KizerSoSay

Why does clover do it?? Horses are supposed to eat grass..right?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sparks said:
It's the clover.

That is what I always thought too, but Percy told me that her Vet was out the other day and she asked her about it and her Vet said that it is from a fungus on the grass :shrug:. I don't think the Vet has it right though because we have 3 pastures and only the horses in the middle pasture have the slobbers and there is clover galore.

Cowgirl

mygoldnhorse said:
That is what I always thought too, but Percy told me that her Vet was out the other day and she asked her about it and her Vet said that it is from a fungus on the grass :shrug:. I don't think the Vet has it right though because we have 3 pastures and only the horses in the middle pasture have the slobbers and there is clover galore.

The vet was probably confused and thinking of the endophyte fungus in tall fescue. :nono:

Robin

depending on a wet early growing season the clover gets a fungus known as
black patch ( Rhizoctonialeguminicola) Legumes... clover, lespedeza, alfalfa,
It is actually the fungus that causes the horses to drool, Thats why some years you dont see it as much in the horses...Can be toxic....some folks just mow the clover down or limit horses to the turn out on the pasture...You see it more because in the summer we reverse the time the horses are out on pasture from hot days to cool nights..Dew happens..moisture grows the fungus and alot of other stuff happens...rain rot on the horses legs from the knees down, cracked heels, Hooves breaking and peeling and cracking from being on wet pastures at might and dry sawdust in the day, then its no help when they have to stomp the flys....

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Just checked on mine...the new gelding was wet around the mouth..on clover the others that are used to being out are fine...Roger was sweating so I hosed him and put him under his fan...Hosed the llamas off they enjoyed that..Pig seemed like he wanted something so I made him a mud puddle..

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Sadielady said:

Who are you trying to get into trouble now? :smack:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Sadielady said:

Hey,
I talked to C earlier and told her what it was. :jameo: I had the vet check them last year because of it. Thanks for asking about it though! :huggy: