Traffic Rant Is this the new way to ride Motorcycles?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Witnessed this April 18, 2019 on Route 5 at Aster Drive.

Just a minute before, a car that was between me and the white van you see ahead of me passed the van on the shoulder while the van was driving 50 MPH (dash cam wasn't plugged in). I guess that driving the speed limit wasn't good enough for him (and why are the speed limits in MD on 2-lane roads 5 MPH less than any other state I've ever been in?)

At this very intersection a few years ago, a car turning left onto Aster Dr was clipped by a careless pickup truck driver, pushing the car into oncoming traffic and killing at least the driver. Not long after, some druggie forced 2 young ladies into a fatal accident just a few hundred yards back the way I had just come.

Finally, I pulled out of the Weis Markets (at spot #2) just a mile further down the road one night around 10 pm and some nut speeding northbound passed me on the shoulder (at spot #3) while he was doing at least 60 in a 45 zone. When I looked right before pulling out, he had just gone through the light at spot #1.

People are crazy around here after this mass influx of the new "workforce" in the past decade.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's because of that accident at Aster Drive that I stopped passing on the shoulder. If I do pass on the shoulder now (since it is now legal), I do it at a much lower speed.

glhs837

Power with Control
That whole section has a +10 caution level for me, car or bike. Just too much going on from too many directions.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That whole section has a +10 caution level for me, car or bike. Just too much going on from too many directions.
you must love GM Rd with the bicycle ./ skateboard / random pederstrians in addition toe motor vehicles coming out of parking lots and side streets.
🆒

glhs837

Power with Control
you must love GM Rd with the bicycle ./ skateboard / random pederstrians in addition toe motor vehicles coming out of parking lots and side streets.
🆒

Doesnt bother me as much, speeds are lower, there's none of the uncertainty of possibly being passed on the shoulder.

glhs837

Power with Control
I generally don't take the bike down that way after dark. I will take the Jeep or car though.