Israel & Palestine-Real Story

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Boy, Jimmy - busting on Ayn Rand. You've hit a new low, buddy. Now you're saying that EVERYONE who doesn't share your opinion is misinformed and ignorant. That's very amusing.

Since you know so much about China/Taiwan, why don't you enlighten us? Share your wisdom, since you're the only one who knows anything about it.
:roflmao:

jimmy

Drunkard
Monkey,

You just get cable or something? What's with all the clever tv references?

I dont' give a flying sh*t about Ayn Rand. I'm just saying she's not a real great authority on political matters. I'm not waging some campaign against her and I dont' think she's an idiot. I just disagree with her selfish approach to politics and economics and I think they're outdated in the globalized community in which we live.

Vrai,

Sorry to come off as defensive but when you're "Defending" your viewpoints against a bunch of hard-headed conservatives, one who won't offer anything but opinion and one who...well one who is Monkey, you DO tend to get a bit defensive.

The state department is on your side. Funny. I can't imagine that the US government would support the Israeli viewpoint. I guess I'm not the only one that enjoys getting my info from baised sources.

CNN? How? Show me please.

Monkey,

You are just baffling. How you can use the "tow the party line" statement as you've got your foot squarely in the snare yourself is beyond me. Of course I'm gonna be coming at this from a more liberal point of view than you conservatives, d.a. What the hell do you think we've been arguing for? Quoting Ayn Rand just because you think it'll get under my skin? How pathetic are you?

I see that you've taken to getting off on attacking all my posts and myself whether you have an opinon or not. That's fine; Hessian and I have enjoyed doing that to eachother for quite some time...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
jimmy,

I'm tiring of you not using the correct terms...

It is:

"A zealous member of the VAST Right Wing Conspiracy"

not "conservative"

not "right winger"

ZMVRWC for short...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Larry Gude
jimmy,

I'm tiring of you not using the correct terms...

It is:

"A zealous member of the VAST Right Wing Conspiracy"

not "conservative"

not "right winger"

ZMVRWC for short...

By the way Larry...Last months meeting of ZMVRWC I didn't get my membership T-shirt!

Also if there are any left could I get a ball cap to go with it?

:)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Quoting Ayn Rand just because you think it'll get under my skin? How pathetic are you?
Seems to be working...
:lol:

Are you insinuating that I haven't offered any concrete facts? What about my rundown of the Camp David Summit? Oh, yeah...I forgot...that's merely "opinion" because it came from the biased State Department and CNN flunkies. Not like the absolute undaulterated indisputable FACTS that come from the French Op-Ed and the Arab website.

You're so funny! This cracked me up:

I'm just saying she's not a real great authority on political matters.
And you are a MUCH better one, right?

I'll tell you what, Jimmy - you humor me by explaining the China/Taiwan thing and I'll show you where CNN lays out the Camp David Summit. Deal?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Kyle,

You should know better. We don't run 'round advertising conspiracies, now do we?

Read your handbook man! (then burn, per instructions)

And for God's sake, don't let on about the secret tattoos...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Man, a busy day on the floor and I'm about 15 posts behind.

Vraiblonde,

I really don’t care that much for the UN either, but as you know I am a stickler for the rule of law. It just happens that the UN is the authority, based upon membership, which gets to make the decisions. Right, wrong, good or bad doesn’t matter; it is how all member governments have agreed to act on the international level and unless they drop out of the UN they are stuck with it. Life sometimes sucks but nothing like it will when the International Criminal Court kicks off in about a month. I am willing to bet that Israel and Sharon will be their first undertaking. Ayn Rand is probably rolling over in her grave at the thought of this tribunal.

Jetmonkey,

Care to discuss objectivism? Wasn’t that the main philosophical view of Ayn Rand? Based on your understanding of this philosophy do you think Rand would be for or against the actions taken by the Israelis in the Middle East?

jimmy

Drunkard
Monkey,

What a wonderfully 'objective' view of college life there!! Certainly true to the last drop, every word!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jimmy, did you read the two books I recommended before?

"Bias" and "The New Thought Police"

Don't forget!!! You've indicated you're interested in finding new ways to think about things, new perspectives, etc. I think both of these books would be right up your alley.

I'm currently re-reading all my 8th and 9th grade English class books whose meanings were lost on me then. It's surprising how different "Animal Farm" reads now that I'm 38 than it did when I was 14. And "Brave New World" - Yikes!

jimmy

Drunkard
Vrai,

Read Brave New World about 2 years ago for school. I really liked it but, yeah, I can see it being even MORE relevant as the whole genetics/bioengineering/cloning debates become fmore common...

Oh and, no, I haven't gotten a chance to check those books out...not many good book stores around here (I guess online?) and I've also been really busy in my free time.

But I DO intend to check them out as, as you've pointed out, I'd be quite hypocritical if I were not to take a look at the "other side" so to speak...I'll let you know when I get to them...

I should have a TON of free time coming up soon....NOT in a good way.... :boo: :burning:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jimmy, don't go into these books thinking it's "the other side". Both books are written by liberals whose job it was to spin the media toward the liberal Democrat viewpoint. We're not talking about R. Emmett Tyrrell or anything like that.

It's very similar to the Christopher Hitchins story - you know, he was (and still is) massively liberal but spoke out about Clinton's wrongdoing during the impeachment mess, then got eaten alive in the press, accused of right-wingery, etc. It was interesting to watch the liberals eat their young.

So it's not "the other side" - it's a new perspective of your side.

jimmy

Drunkard
Well, I was being a bit sarcastic with the whole "other side" thing (since I really would rather come down on NEITHER side; lest I be branded and have assumptions made about my views etc..) but I'll stand corrected.

I'll check them out, like I said, and it should spark some interesting convo if nothing else....

This partisan stuff we're hashing through here is REALLY turning up my anger at the political system as a whole...and hastening my wanting to get involved in some manner...

andwhat

Sorry y'all but I've been out of the loop for awhile and I figured if I'm going to jump back in, might as well go head first and none of this wading in the kiddie end stuff.

I know that this post isn't going to add anything meaningful to the whole Israel vs. Palestine debate, but again I've been out of it for awhile so I need to warm up a bit.
So to the point. Monkey, who exactly allowed you to decide what college courses are frivilous and which are not. Personally i take serious offense at you considering environmental ethics frivilous. in fact environmental ethics is one of the fastest growing disciplines in american colleges. If you really want to pick on something frivilous try Ohio State's history of television.

So jet monkey when was the last time you sat down in a classroom? Sure there are some professors who view every student as a paycheck, but damn if there aren't some screwballs in every profession. And you speak out against the apparent diseregard for the west. Why is the west so great? China has been a thriving civilization for over 4,000 years, the US for 200. Hmmm.
Very few professors are interesteed in propogating their own viewpoints and in fact it is the students role to expand their mind. The professor will always present some sort of viewpoint for humans can never be truly objective in anything they do (Thomas Kuhn, the history and philosophy of scientific revolutions). Thats the great thing about college. there are lots of classes and lots of professors so you go to the different classes with different professors and get different viewpoints which opens your mind.
See thats how college works. Its not like a specific professor is your mommy and its their job to enlighten you to everything in the world. Its their job to provide you with a theory in a fairly specialized subject, such a post modern US history (1945-present). thats specialized. you want a class on everything go back to elementary school and take history. Not us history, just history.

jimmy

Drunkard
Monkey,

I don't see why you feel the constant need to point out that everyone is providing opinion-based thought when you yourself are continuing to do the same thing.

Of course we're using opinions based on the different ways we see the world. You question sources that we find credible; we question yours. Your opinion is more valid because it's an Ayn Rand quote? You wanna talk about laughable....

So 15 years of college, eh? I'll reserve judgement for the time being but it really does shed some light on why you hate it so much...

The Greeks certainly came up with democracy and western philosophy is heavily influenced by them, but I'd hardly call that the birthplace of western culture, which you really don't find until after the middle ages when Europe began to solidify and, along the lines of capitalism, when imperialism was born.

So, again, YOU are spouting off "facts" just as you have accused Andwhat of doing.

You seem a bitter, bitter individual, and you hypocracy seems to know no bounds here.

We're engaging in discussions that surely involve a lot of personal feelings and viewpoints. Get over it. Stop hiding behind quotes, present your own view point and be prepared for people to disagree with you. Otherwise, shut YOUR filthy word hole about it...

jimmy

Drunkard
Wow, monkey. You are quite worked up about this aren't you?

Well, all the mature name-calling aside, I think I'm gonna have to "agree to disagree" on this one....

Sounds like a cop-out but, really, when you are up against someone that gets so torqued about this stuff, its really hard to keep sight of your position.

This has basically been reduced to just me waiting for you to make a comment, firing back, and seeing what you say in return, with the intensity rising each time. I'm losing sight of where I even stand at this point because it's just become "Against Monkey".

Monkey,

You no doubt sound like an intelligent person. And I applaud you if you truly value learning. I respect if you had to work your way through college and that was the REASON I chose to reserve judgement; I don't know you. I don't know your situation.

It's a shame you feel that way about college-educated people because, with that view of people like myself, it's not worth getting into an arguement; you'll not take what I have to say seriously anyway.

And I don't care; don't get me wrong. I just am tired of having to go back and forth with you in this pissing contest where we've devitated from the issue and you've been reduced to name-calling.

So, with that....

andwhat

Since Jimmy has been going on for awhile I guess I'll have to give him a little break. now then, Greek culture is viewed as the birth of western civilization, however that is classical western culture which is not what we are talking about when you mention the western culture which allows college professors the ability to sit back confortably and talk about how great it is to be truly intellectual and not have to buy into the dogma of pure reason and logic.
You see modern Western civilization, which we are actually discussing, is generally considered to have taken place after the renaisance and the great enlightenment (Europe, not Greece) which is dated in the 15th century C.E. meaning that China is still older and has been thriving longer. Not to mention that even if we want to stay on the Greece kick I would venture to compare modern Greece to modern China and say that China is somewhat more of a world power today, intellectualy, militarily and economically while Greece has fallen far beyond the way side. Greece had a great run, but its been over since before the Ottoman empire.
As for what jimmy said about knowing that you've been taking classes for 15 years, I can definitely see where you might be a little put off by college. working full time to put yourself through while only being able to take a few classes at a time would defintiley cause me to be a little bit less than enamored with the higher education system. I can more than understand why you have complaints, so would I if I had to struggle so much just to have the oppurtunity and I'm glad you got through it. Lord knows we need more educated people in the world.
I'm not going to get into the whole liberals being smarter thing but lets look at our last two presidents. Leaving everything else aside, Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, George W. Bush ahd a cumulative GPA of 2.57 in college and supposedly has the lowest IQ of any president (I admit that the IQ test is a load of crap since no one knows the IQ scores of most of our presidents and I'm certainly not saying that IQ tests measure anything, but I'm sure W lost points for trying to use some of his "special words"). Sorry the liberal in me had to throw that out but you can totally ignore b/c its a pointless argument to take up.
As for the Environmental ethics bit, go check last years US news and World Report college addition. Not to say they're an expert source or anything but Environemtnal Ethics is listed as one of the top 5 fastest growing subject areas.

You know what I really love monkey is that you attack us for spouting out things as facts without justifying and yet you do the same. Hmmm. And when you get something really touch you just start laughing and don't respond. Kinda like we're all playing basketball and you're losing so you take your ball and go home. Cute, really.

Oh and Vrai, I was wondering who was going to call me on that. I put that one out there to show how ridiculous it is to accuse professors of promoting their own viewpoint. Of course they do, all people do always, whetehr we recognize it or not, whether its coscious or not we're never ever Ever objective. Not possible. So how did I score on my dive? I think I went past vertical a little bit on the entry from over rotating and my legs came a part a little bit in the pike position.