I've got a dumb question...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by aps45819
Since Jesus wasn't really born on Dec. 25, how do you know when he was circumcised? :confused:

Bible says he was circumcised on the 8th day. If we celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25th, it makes Jan 1st the 8th day. If you feel like celebrating Christmas in March, which some scholars claim is more accurate, then you can throw a snip-snip party then.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
As I understnd it, Dec. 31st is the end of the Roman year. New Years eve was a Roamn Empire holiday; I think the end of saturnalia.

Z

zuchick

Since Jesus wasn't really born on Dec. 25, how do you know when he was circumcised? :confused:

Considering that Christ and His most Blessed Mother and Earthly Father were Jews, they would have been expected, being Jewish, to have Christos Circumcised within 8 days of His Birth.. At least I think it is 8 days. I know that in our Church, most children are Baptised when they are 8 days old which is inline with the Jewish belief on circumcising.

The Date for Christ's Nativity was not until around 300 years after His Nativity.. Which was a problem because the Churchs of God were celebrating the Nativity on different days of the year.. I am not sure, but they may have set a standard day in the Western Church which is Dec 25th. during one of the Seven Ecuminical Councils. However the Eastern Church did not accept the Dec 25th as Christ's Nativity until the 20th Century. Those who celebrate Chris's Nativity on the 25th of Dec. in the Eastern Church are refered to as New Calendarist and those who still celebrate His Nativity on Jan 7th are called New Calendarist.. But our Passover aka Pascal aka Easter is a calculated date and changes yearly.

Last edited by a moderator:

BudoPo

New Year's isn't a religious holiday, as far as I know, so I don't see much issue with ringing it in. It was the end of the Roman calendar year. I can see some people not celebrating it, but I never had a problem with it.

The Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) is one of the High Holy Days (the other being Yom Kippur (Day of Attonement). Neither one is celebrated like New Year's Eve, but is observed with prayer and study and the like.

BTW, I don't see why anyone would be offended by this question, and like someone posted, tell them to go pound sand. It's an honest question from someone curious about it.

Zuchick: yes, circumcision is on the 8th day (unless there are medical reasons against that, like a premature delivery, of course)

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by BudoPo
New Year's isn't a religious holiday, as far as I know, so I don't see much issue with ringing it in. It was the end of the Roman calendar year. I can see some people not celebrating it, but I never had a problem with it.

The Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) is one of the High Holy Days (the other being Yom Kippur (Day of Attonement). Neither one is celebrated like New Year's Eve, but is observed with prayer and study and the like.

BTW, I don't see why anyone would be offended by this question, and like someone posted, tell them to go pound sand. It's an honest question from someone curious about it.

Zuchick: yes, circumcision is on the 8th day (unless there are medical reasons against that, like a premature delivery, of course)

Thought so, but wasn't really sure.

tater

I can't even remember my own, much less someone elses :frown:

Z

zuchick

December 25th is the Traditional date of Christos Mass of the Roman Catholic Christians. Wheither it is the exact date Christos was born or not, it is unimportant.. What is important is the Church Tradition says the Mass will be celebrated on December 25th.

In 1579ad when the Luthern Church came about, they took December 25th as being their Traditional Celebration of the Nativity of Christos with them from the Roman Catholic Church. As did the Baptist, Anglican and so on..

So it does not matter wheither the Nativity of Christos is on December 25th or Jan 7th as celebrated by all Old Calendar Orthodox Christians and in the Hearts of all the Orthodoxy.. It is according to Church Tradition and no more..

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Ken King
I didn't read it all but this site has a lot about calendars. It says that Caesar made the first day of the year January 1 when he added 90 days to the calendar. http://astro.nmsu.edu/~lhuber/leaphist.html

With regards to Christianity, there are only two calendar that Matter.. The Julian and the Gregorian. The Julian Calendar is the Eastern Calendar and the Gregorian is the Western Calendar. For more Information refer to: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/GregorianCalendar.html

-or-

http://paul.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7070.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The only one who really came close was Migtig (I find you more appealing all the time).
:biggrin:

With the exception of the most strict Orthodox Jews, most celebrate both; one as a secular holiday and the other in accordance with their religious calendar, which, as Migtig said, is different than those we are most familiar with.

Oh, and for the record, on Christmas Eve, most Jews order Chinese food and rent movies (true).

Sure is a WASP'Y bunch here, huh?

:wink:

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by justin anemone
The only one who really came close was Migtig (I find you more appealing all the time).
:biggrin:

With the exception of the most strict Orthodox Jews, most celebrate both; one as a secular holiday and the other in accordance with their religious calendar, which, as Migtig said, is different than those we are most familiar with.

Oh, and for the record, on Christmas Eve, most Jews order Chinese food and rent movies (true).

Sure is a WASP'Y bunch here, huh?

:wink:

Bahahaha.. I couldn't have said it better myself. But you gotta love'em after all they too are part of God's Creation.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a dumb question, too:

Since Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are the major Jewish holidays and Hannukah is a minor one, does it offends Jews that such a big deal is made over Hannukah and the other ones are virtually ignored by non-Jews?

Originally posted by vraiblonde

Since Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are the major Jewish holidays and Hannukah is a minor one, does it offends Jews that such a big deal is made over Hannukah and the other ones are virtually ignored by non-Jews?

This isnt something that youll hear any Jew readily admit but theres a certain benefit to getting all of the Christian holidays off along with the Hebrew ones. I have no problem wishing people a Merry Christmas at all. What was once a religious holiday for Christians has become so pastureized and commercial its not really something that is exclusively "Christian" perse.
:smile:
The other holidays are not only religious in nature but deeply personal ones and theres little concern over the attention others pay to them.

As far as Hanukkah is concerned theres also a lot to be said for 8 days of presents but in spite of stereotypes getting free things and presents isnt really what its all about.

When its time to atone you must first atone to those around you before you can atone to G-D.

BudoPo

Originally posted by vraiblonde

It never offended me, but then I'm not a parent who has to deal with whether or not to give my kid presents for Hannukah ('cause he'd feel bad when all his Christian friends get gifts and he doesn't).

I do feel a bit irked that Christmas is a Federal Holiday. It seems to me this violates the Establishment Clause of the 1st amendment. I get a paid day off (which is always a good thing), but I have to burn vacation time to take off Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but Christians don't need to for Christmas. Such is life, I suppose.

TripleJ

It never offended me, but then I'm not a parent who has to deal with whether or not to give my kid presents for Hannukah ('cause he'd feel bad when all his Christian friends get gifts and he doesn't).

I do feel a bit irked that Christmas is a Federal Holiday. It seems to me this violates the Establishment Clause of the 1st amendment. I get a paid day off (which is always a good thing), but I have to burn vacation time to take off Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but Christians don't need to for Christmas. Such is life, I suppose.
Since I get paid for these holidays, I'm all for them I don't care what religion they are affiliated with. I especially like the double time and a half I get when I work them. I made a killing over the Thanksgiving holiday, and saved a lot of personal leave when they decided to make the day after x-mas a holiday too. :cheers:

Toxick

Splat
I do feel a bit irked that Christmas is a Federal Holiday. It seems to me this violates the Establishment Clause of the 1st amendment.

Well it seems to me that Christmas is more and more becoming a secular holiday that happens to bear the same name and is 'celebrated' the same time that the Christian celebration is.

Almost every atheist that I know celebrates Christmas. People I know who actually get offended or fly off the handle in affronted rage every time they are confronted with the concept of a Supreme Being go out, buy stuff, and give it to their families.

It started off as a Christian tradition - it most certainly is not any more. All one has to do is watch TV around christmastime. You'll see Santa Claus, you'll see reindeer, you'll see Snowmen, and presents and trees and stars and tinsel and candy-canes, and gingerbread men. How many times were you confronted with the image of Jesus?

I don't believe I've seen or heard about Jesus Christ a single solitary time this season.

I've seen more Menorah's than Baby Jesuses.

TripleJ

Originally posted by Toxick
Well it seems to me that Christmas is more and more becoming a secular holiday that happens to bear the same name and is 'celebrated' the same time that the Christian celebration is.

Almost every atheist that I know celebrates Christmas. People I know who actually get offended or fly off the handle in affronted rage every time they are confronted with the concept of a Supreme Being go out, buy stuff, and give it to their families.

It started off as a Christian tradition - it most certainly is not any more. All one has to do is watch TV around christmastime. You'll see Santa Claus, you'll see reindeer, you'll see Snowmen, and presents and trees and stars and tinsel and candy-canes, and gingerbread men. How many times were you confronted with the image of Jesus?

I don't believe I've seen or heard about Jesus Christ a single solitary time this season.
It started off as a pagan tradition and was adopted by christians....
I've seen more Menorah's than Baby Jesuses.
:cheers: