I've had it with Kindle

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can't wait for it to die so I can replace it with something else.

I'm trying to get rid of the progbot news blips that show up on my "For You" screen and.....mmmmm, nope. The only thing you can do is go into settings and choose which feeds to block, but that doesn't work either because I've blocked CNN, WashPo, etc, and now I get more stories from them than ever.

I also paid extra to not have Amazon ads bombard me, and guess what? Still happening.

The web browser - Silk - is a POS and the keyboard controls are missing many key components.

Who has a tablet that doesn't do this chit? Surface Pro, maybe? Don't say iPad because I hate iThings.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

I'm trying to get rid of the progbot news blips that show up on my "For You" screen and.....mmmmm, nope. The only thing you can do is go into settings and choose which feeds to block, but that doesn't work either because I've blocked CNN, WashPo, etc, and now I get more stories from them than ever.

I also paid extra to not have Amazon ads bombard me, and guess what? Still happening.

The web browser - Silk - is a POS and the keyboard controls are missing many key components.

Who has a tablet that doesn't do this chit? Surface Pro, maybe? Don't say iPad because I hate iThings.
While I had one, I loved the Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Had no issues and it did the Kindle App for my few ebooks.

DaSDGuy

While I had one, I loved the Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Had no issues and it did the Kindle App for my few ebooks.
The Samsung Galaxy uses the Chrome browser. The Surface Pro is microstuff so you probably have IE or Edge. That would be a factor in my decision.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But doesn't Firefox make a Windows tablet version? That would be a factor in my decision, the ability to have more mainstream apps instead of being locked into the crap they make for Kindle.

PeoplesElbow

I have a fire tablet and a Samsung Galaxy tab a, 8 inch. The Samsung is so much better in every aspect, it uses chrome, no ads etc. I paid 130 for it at bjs

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Got the wife a 10" tablet by Onn. An android pro, no detachable keyboard (she doesn't like them) and she loves it. Avid reader and she rotates between that one and an RCA brand 8" for charging purposes, she hates being tethered by a power cord.

BOP

My Kindle Paperwhite isn't doing any of that, knock on wood. I bought it last August.

Clem72

My Kindle Paperwhite isn't doing any of that, knock on wood. I bought it last August.

I have never noticed any of that either. It literally only shows my library and the occasional add when turned off. Wonder if they are actually discussing the Amazon "Fire" tablet, and not the kindle?

Reactions: BOP

BOP

I have never noticed any of that either. It literally only shows my library and the occasional add when turned off. Wonder if they are actually discussing the Amazon "Fire" tablet, and not the kindle?
Maybe. At 63 years of age, I promise them: I'm not their target audience.

Clem72

All the big brands do this to some extent, though Amazon with the Fire tablets takes the walled garden approach to an all new level. I actually like some of the Chinese brands here because many of them give an almost pure android experience without all the BS added. Xiaomi is a fairly premium brand (Mi Pad series), but a little pricey (not as pricey as Samsung though). The Chewi and Teclast brands make some tablets that are fairly well regarded also.

glhs837

Power with Control
maybe a Chrome Book ?

Grabbed a Pixel Slate back around Feb when they went on fire sale with keyboard and pen included. Some annoying stuff, but well worth the tradeoffs.. Cant "cast" to anything but a Google stick (sorry, 20 hour travel day yesterday, names are hard, eating breakfast then back to sleep) and wont recognize external monitors or a lot of devices using a Targus USB C adapter. But handles 99% of my computing needs an does awesome as a reader and Netflix, AP video dispenser. Also plays very well with my Pixel phone. Flew back from Seattle yesterday, total of about 9 hours in the air, maybe two of those reading, the rest was watching downloaded Stargates from AP. Still had half battery life when I got home. I use tablet mode quite a lot, almost all for reading.

You are right, my old Fire did those same things. Added Chrome to it and did something else to kill the ads.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2019...s and then,to unsubscribe from Special Offers.

This added the Google Play store, which allowed me to install a lot of apps including Chrome.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

BOP

Speaking of Chrome, any thoughts? Something is going on with my firefox on my PC, to where I can have 2 tabs open, but task manager has seen up to 8 instances. Of course, between Norton (comcast), Adblock Plus, and Malware Bytes, that may explain why firefox is acting weird.

Also, I have Adobe Reader, but when I try to open a document, task manager says it's open, but I can't see it anywhere. Thoughts?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Speaking of Chrome, any thoughts? Something is going on with my firefox on my PC, to where I can have 2 tabs open, but task manager has seen up to 8 instances. Of course, between Norton (comcast), Adblock Plus, and Malware Bytes, that may explain why firefox is acting weird.

Also, I have Adobe Reader, but when I try to open a document, task manager says it's open, but I can't see it anywhere. Thoughts?
I think firefox does the same thing Chrome does. Someone else can explain it better, but a browsing session is more than just one process for one tab.

Reactions: BOP

Indoyota

I love e-ink readers. I've had a Kobo ereader for years. took it all over the world when i was in. Recently found it and gave it to the wife. Battery still working and is awesome. I find that the e-ink is easier on the eyes and battery life lasts for weeks.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I'm a bit late to the thread...I have the Kindle Fire HD 10 and my main complaint is that I wish I had bought the 8-inch version. I have tried using it as my main reader but it is too awkward to hold (especially reading in bed) due to its size. If your main complaint is the browser you can easily get around that and also have access to all the apps in the Google Playstore by sideloading Googe on the tablet. The main drawback to doing that now is that you have to do a factory reset (or have a fresh out of the box tablet) and then go through the steps described in about a dozen YouTube videos. Once that is done and you are back running, all of the apps that you have already downloaded from Amazon should reload. Just make sure you back up all of your other files (photos, music, etc.). If those files are saved on an SD card, it would be safest to remove the card before doing the factory reset.

I have mine sideloaded and most of the apps I use are downloaded from Google. I use Brave as my browser. You can also download alternate keyboard configurations. With Bluetooth devices available, you can actually use an external keyboard and mouse if that makes it easier for you.

I didn't pay the extra fee to eliminate ads and I only get a single popup on the top row of the home page.

Before I switched to the Kindle I had the Sony Xperia tablet for several years. It was slowing down with age and I didn't want to spend the equivalent of another laptop so I settled on the Kindle Fire tablet. I have seriously considered dumping the Kindle Fire and getting a Samsung Galaxy 8 inch tab. I have owned a Samsung in the past and it was really great.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I finally got myself a kindlefire. I like it! I also don't purchase ebooks. I use Hoopla. It's the website for the county library and I can borrow books, movies and tv shows for free.

PeoplesElbow

I finally got myself a kindlefire. I like it! I also don't purchase ebooks. I use Hoopla. It's the website for the county library and I can borrow books, movies and tv shows for free.
Did you ever find anything worth watching on Hoopla, a quick looksee I didnt see anything worthwhile.