Jet Noise in Lusby

I don't mind the jet noise, it's not constant or annoying.

But everytime one flies over, I lose reception on the TV. Helicopters are the worst.

Forkian

I recently put in a contract on a house in Lusby. Wednesday I was over there for the inspection and jets were flying over the house about every five minutes. They were extremely loud. Really loud. From what I understand, jets can fly over 365 days a year from 7 am to 11 pm. I am wondering how often jets fly over. Was this every 5 minutes unusual? How do people down there deal with the noise. I have commercial jets flying over my house now about every 5 minutes but they are way up in the air and the noise is barely noticeable in the house with the windows closed. Even outside when a jet goes over it is not loud enough to interrupt conversation. It's barely noticeable. I am really upset about this because I love the house and the whole area there, but I like peace and quiet and don't think I will be able to tolerate this noise. Thank you for any response.

If you call the CO of the base and explain that you heard airplanes, then the Navy will make sure that they take the long way home in order to avoid disturbing you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Our place is in a flight pattern/path that is routinely used by jets, helos and every kind of UAV they operate out of Webster Field. Some of the fly-overs are really low level too. Get some great shots with the telephoto lens on the DSLR. ;-)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't mind the jet noise, it's not constant or annoying.

But everytime one flies over, I lose reception on the TV. Helicopters are the worst.

I keep my tinfoil hat adjusted carefully to avoid problems like that.

Justme2

It has been a few years ago but I was going over the bridge and one of those "Tomcats" was coming in for a landing I guess at the very top of the bridge all at the same time. I thought I was going to have to go change my pants. Fricking loud was not the word:whoosh::faint:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It has been a few years ago but I was going over the bridge and one of those "Tomcats" was coming in for a landing I guess at the very top of the bridge all at the same time. I thought I was going to have to go change my pants. Fricking loud was not the word:whoosh::faint:

I paced a met 2 Blue Angels right overhead. Close enough to see their face. It was way cool!

FED_UP

Jet noise, what jet noise. Try working on a flight deck during flight ops. :shrug:

13 years sea time out of 20, all carriers, I must have been crazy back then. Longest time at sea was 109 days straight, some sort of exercise.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
13 years sea time out of 20, all carriers, I must have been crazy back then. Longest time at sea was 109 days straight, some sort of exercise.

I got off Ike prior to 1980 when they had to go over for the Iran CRISIS, they spent something like 280+ dasy at sea ;-((( Getting letters from the guys, i just laughed and said Sorry. What else could you do !!!!

FED_UP

I got off Ike prior to 1980 when they had to go over for the Iran CRISIS, they spent something like 280+ dasy at sea ;-((( Getting letters from the guys, i just laughed and said Sorry. What else could you do !!!!

Dam, that put my little 109 days at sea to shame.

lonedog

Hahaha.... He is not the first cry baby I have heard complain about the noise from the base. It kinda makes me wonder what kind of place this Asshat is moving here from.:doh:

He probably just got a job at Calvert Cliffs Nuke plant and he is sweating some sound of freedom (jet noise).

Not a cry baby, not an Asshat, not a he, not working at CCN, not sweating. Try again dickwad. If you are representative of the average Lusbian, perhaps I should look elsewhere. You know, where people have a functioning IQ.

FYI, yes I realize there is a base in Lex Park. Looked at a few houses over there and a jet flew over. Not that I was going to buy that crap hole house in that crap hole neighborhood, but definitely took notice of the jet noise. Did not realize it would be the same in Calvert, not having time to go inspect which direction the jets take off and which direction the wind blows. The day I first looked at the house in Lusby, there was not that amount of jet noise. The day of the inspection, Wednesday, the 13th, was awful. I really had no idea. I can't imagine all those people, with those beautiful bay front homes and the peace and quiet, living with that noise. Thus my question, is that usual, or not. When I came home that night and was sitting in my private, serene, perfectly quiet backyard, where the deer and the wild turkey play, I realized I could not deal with that noise.

FYI, I lived about 5 miles from the Pentagon and a bit farther from National Airport for 15 years and aside from the occasional helicopter, air traffic noise was not an issue, except on 9/11 when the fighter jets flew overhead and rattled the windows.

.em wolb oS

Hats off to those of you who gave me a real answer. I guess everyones tolerance for things is different and I won't know until I get there, but do I want to take that chance? Only I can decide that.

PeoplesElbow

Not a cry baby, not an Asshat, not a he, not working at CCN, not sweating. Try again dickwad. If you are representative of the average Lusbian, perhaps I should look elsewhere. You know, where people have a functioning IQ.

FYI, yes I realize there is a base in Lex Park. Looked at a few houses over there and a jet flew over. Not that I was going to buy that crap hole house in that crap hole neighborhood, but definitely took notice of the jet noise. Did not realize it would be the same in Calvert, not having time to go inspect which direction the jets take off and which direction the wind blows. The day I first looked at the house in Lusby, there was not that amount of jet noise. The day of the inspection, Wednesday, the 13th, was awful. I really had no idea. I can't imagine all those people, with those beautiful bay front homes and the peace and quiet, living with that noise. Thus my question, is that usual, or not. When I came home that night and was sitting in my private, serene, perfectly quiet backyard, where the deer and the wild turkey play, I realized I could not deal with that noise.

FYI, I lived about 5 miles from the Pentagon and a bit farther from National Airport for 15 years and aside from the occasional helicopter, air traffic noise was not an issue, except on 9/11 when the fighter jets flew overhead and rattled the windows.

.em wolb oS

Hats off to those of you who gave me a real answer. I guess everyones tolerance for things is different and I won't know until I get there, but do I want to take that chance? Only I can decide that.

Depends, stuff gets dropped out over water so when planes are practicing drops or actively dropping stuff they are going to be flying quite a bit out over the water.

It is no where near an operational base where you have planes landing almost like clockwork, it just depends on what the testing of the day involves, how much of that testing is needed etc.

I really doubt the noise continued for much more than a couple hrs a day, most of the time the plane or planes are probably just passing by your area once or twice.

If you look at google maps you can see the runways on the base and they are almost equal distant from Lusby as they are from Lexington Park, that big open area over the water does way less to dampen the noise than the trees on the land between them and Lexington Park.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
:smack::smack:
Unhappyazz :smack:

It didn't occur to me when I first moved here that living near a Navy base meant frequent jet noise and I remember being like, "Wow, is this going to happen all the time??" Then after a few weeks I didn't hear it anymore.

It didn't occur to you and you are :smack: Who is the STUPID ONE HERE????

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Also, , I heard the growing up near Moffett Field in CaliforniaP-3's all the time and never noticed them really. When the malathion spraying happened, the low flying helicopters were definitely noticed. But it was only temporary.

I grew up most of my life hearing P- 3's, both at Pax river and San Jose. Cry babies need to find a quite room to cry in.