Jimmy Carter...

ImnoMensa

don't forget that he gave away OUR canal to those dirty Panamaniacs

In an earlier Post it was stated by awpitt that in the end Carter saw to it that the hostages got home safe. I would like to correct that and state that Carter had nothing to do with their getting home safely. They were returned because Iran feared Ronald Reagan was not going to play games with them like Carter had.

The hostages were returned on President Reagans Inauguration day because Iran knew that the day after, Reagan was going to get them by force.It wasnt Carters Namby-Pamby appeasement that brought them home,but a fear of The United States under the Governance of a real leader.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
My husband served on the USS Hyman G Rickover (2000-2004). I know Carter is the only President that has earned the right to wear the submariners' dolphins. It looks to me (Course I could be wrong) like he fits a stereotype that my hubby told me about in the sub community: Nukes (those who work in the nuclear field) have all the book sense on the world but no common sense at all.

*snort* My dad for the longest time had a case of Billy Beer. Dunno if he still has it (can't imagine it's worth anything)

It's sad though. I don't know if things have changed for the better since HS (class of '95) but when it came to studying US/World history, we barely made it past Vietnam, let alone getting to Ford/Carter times. I do remember my parents telling me about the long gas lines and the double digit inflation rates.

Billy beers are about $40 each on ebay a case is almost a grand:shrug:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
In an earlier Post it was stated by awpitt that in the end Carter saw to it that the hostages got home safe. I would like to correct that and state that Carter had nothing to do with their getting home safely. They were returned because Iran feared Ronald Reagan was not going to play games with them like Carter had.

The hostages were returned on President Reagans Inauguration day because Iran knew that the day after, Reagan was going to get them by force.It wasnt Carters Namby-Pamby appeasement that brought them home,but a fear of The United States under the Governance of a real leader.

Exactly why Hamas is endorsing Obama. They foresee a Carter Redux Administration.

awpitt

Main Streeter

No need to correct what I said as you would be rewriting history. You are right that the Iranians did not look forward to Reagan but one would be in total denial to say that Cater had nothing to do with the release of the hostages. The Iranians were influenced by the death of the Shah, the invasion by Iraq and were being finacially starved by the economic sanctions and they could've used the $8 billion of their assets that Carter froze. If Carter had been re-elected, it's likley that the hostages would've been home just as soon (or sooner) then they did. As you said, Reagan might have attempted to take the hostages by force but it's unlikely any of them would've survived.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Don't forget about Jimmy Carter's scariest threat of all.

If you don't release those hostages, we won't light our National Christmas Tree. :bawl:

:jameo: :jameo: :jameo:

I'm sure Iran was shaking in their boots when he made that threat.

:rolleyes:

B

Bruzilla

No need to correct what I said as you would be rewriting history. You are right that the Iranians did not look forward to Reagan but one would be in total denial to say that Cater had nothing to do with the release of the hostages. The Iranians were influenced by the death of the Shah, the invasion by Iraq and were being finacially starved by the economic sanctions and they could've used the $8 billion of their assets that Carter froze. If Carter had been re-elected, it's likley that the hostages would've been home just as soon (or sooner) then they did. As you said, Reagan might have attempted to take the hostages by force but it's unlikely any of them would've survived.

I hate to go against a fellow Pittsburgher, but Imnomensa is correct. Jimmy Carter did everything he could to get those hostages out, but the Iranians knew that having the hostages and using them to demonish Carter and the United States' power and influence was worth much more than the assets Carter had locked up. This was why they waited until just moments after Reagan had been sworn in and Carter was officially out of office before releasing them. That was a carefully timed operation.

I read an intel report years ago that said the main reason for timing the Revolution the way the Iranians did was due to a freak storm that hit DC. Carter was meeting with the Shah, and the initial meeting of the men was televised. One of those sudden out-of-nowhere DC thunderstorms hit, and the men had to rush into the White House. Typical day for anyone who's lived near DC, but to the Iranians it was a sign from Allah that he wanted action taken against the Americans and the Shah. Now, that's a pretty rediculous notion to most of us, but we're not religious zealots in the Third World either. The Iranians were never going to release the hostages to Carter because he gave the Shah refuge, which was a great offense to them. They wanted Carter to suffer as they suffered.

I was in the Navy back then, and I remember the joke going on during the election of "what's flat and glows? Iran on Inauguration Day." That was a joke, but one based on our belief that Reagan would attack Iran if they didn't release the hostages. If we believed that, I'm guessing the Iranians, who thought a rain storm was a sign from God, would have believed it as well.

wildsage

earthling
...They were returned because Iran feared Ronald Reagan was not going to play games with them like Carter had.
So the "in yo' face" Iranian radicals played their cards so that a tough US leader they were scared of got elected to office, displacing the "weak sister" that they could easily push around? Yah, that makes sense.
Those Iranites must be stoopid!

SamSpade

So the "in yo' face" Iranian radicals played their cards so that a tough US leader they were scared of got elected to office, displacing the "weak sister" that they could easily push around? Yah, that makes sense.

I'd say that's about right, which is usually what you get when idealism and political ideology trumps pragmatism and good sense. They wanted the West and all its trappings out and dreamed of a perfect Islamic Republic and what they got was misery, loss of freedom and rights, and a crushing war.

And it's important to remember that before Reagan took office, no one was certain what kind of President he'd be. I thought he'd be terrible - I wrote in *Nixon's* name in protest.

ImnoMensa

Your attempt at sarcasm falls on deaf ears here. I didnt say how they played their cards or why. I merely said that the hostages were not returned through any efforts of Jimmy Carter, they were returned because they knew the jig was up when Reagan became President.

B

Bruzilla

No. The Iranians were furious that Carter had offered the Shah safe haven. That was why they waited until minutes after Reagan was sworn in to release the hostages. It was final act of embarassing Carter they were after. Carter tried everything he could to get those folks out before the swearing in ceremony so he could claim some form of victory, but like with pretty much every other aspect of his presidency... he failed.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Carter's former advisor from his administration has some comments about Jimmeh that are rather interesting. LINK

:yeahthat: and follow the money: "Ginsberg says Carter’s revelation fits into a pattern of mischief on the part of the former president in recent months, “probably fueled by the amount of money the Carter Center is getting from Arab sources.” "