Job Ethics

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Restaurant server job ad goes viral for ‘insane’ qualification list

“Please do not apply if you have no sense of humor or can’t handle skillful sarcasm, have no alarm clock, oversleep, have a cellphone battery that dies constantly preventing you from contacting us,” the long list begins.

The unnamed restaurant also wants to avoid people who “have to give friends rides to work later than we start work, call out sick with an excuse because you partied too hard the night before your shift, experience flat tires every week and suddenly become deathly ill on Coachella and Splash House weekends.”

The ad strictly warns “you will not last if you want to score social points with a cute patron by giving away food and beverage on our dime with our inventory.”

It continues to get more niche, as the job posting advises people to “not apply if you need nights off because your grandma poisoned you with her ham again or your band has a gig and you need weekends off because your favorite roller derby team made it to the finals.”

The hiring manager goes on to list more unacceptable reasons to call out, including claiming that “it’s ski season, you accidentally got on a plane to Vegas, you haven’t surfed in a while” or “you have a headache after going to too many garage sales.”

Sounds like NORMAL Expectations .... show up for your job, when you are expected to

frequentflier

happy to be living
Applause to the person that took the time to create this ad! Clearly they have had issues with former employees and most business owners and managers can relate!
When I was hiring, I posted ads on somd.com and was criticized on these forums for my ads (don't remember who it was- don't care). I tried to be very specific because I didn't want to waste my time or theirs. Reading comprehension skills are lacking in so many people. Must work one weekend day...("oh, but I can't work every weekend"), must be able to lift 40 lbs ("oh, but I had back surgery and cannot lift anything"), must pass a background check (one person had been convicted for theft over $1000 two days before sending her resume!) I was specific about the hours and provided what I thought was a detailed explanation of what the job entailed. Including how and when to apply (No phone calls! No walk ins!) and many proved they couldn't follow directions in that regard!
I grew to despise the hiring- and firing- game and don't miss that at all. Looking for people to represent my business positively, people that do not steal (had a few of those!), didn't bring a ton of drama to work and got along with others was difficult. In the end, I was blessed with some of the people that worked for and with me. But certainly not all.
You can't teach people to have a strong work ethic and my encounters with those that lacked one was difficult for me to understand and deal with. I guess it's how you were raised and I was blessed with hard working parents that instilled a work ethic and responsibility in all of their children. I am proud to say all the grandchildren are being raised in the same fashion and all are successful and GOOD people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You can't teach people to have a strong work ethic and my encounters with those that lacked one was difficult for me to understand and deal with. I guess it's how you were raised and I was blessed with hard working parents that instilled a work ethic and responsibility in all of their children. I am proud to say all the grandchildren are being raised in the same fashion and all are successful and GOOD people.

Nope ... that comes from a proper up bringing

PeoplesElbow

Only the Zs find those requirements outrageous. :lmao: Normally abled people are like, "Well....yeah...."
To be fair this described quite a few older people I worked with in a grocery store in 1994, manager of seafood constantly marked food down for good looking women and ran a booking service from the fish counter. I know because he always left early and I worked after him, he would be about 80 today if he is still alive.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When customers at Lowe's thank me for being helpful, I tell them I had a good upbringing, helping my maternal grandparents in their new and repairs shoe shop. Papa D'Orazio started me out sweeping off the front stoop after Kindergarten, school was across the street. Helped out until I got married at age 25.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
When customers at Lowe's thank me for being helpful, I tell them I had a good upbringing, helping my maternal grandparents in their new and repairs shoe shop. Papa D'Orazio started me out sweeping off the front stoop after Kindergarten, school was across the street. Helped out until I got married at age 25.
So, next time I see you, I'll tell you that you did a crappy job, just so I don't have to listen to the history lesson......

:biggrin:

HemiHauler

Damn, that is some pro-level virtue signaling right there.