John Deere riding mower won’t turn over

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I had to replace a magnet on ours.. worked for about another 6 months. Once it got warm, it would quit, and nothing we could do to restart it until the next day, or at least hours later.

Armatures commonly fail in two ways, they stop working and your mower won’t start or they work when the engine is cold but fail as the engine heat soaks into the windings of the armature. Armatures are a solid-state component, they aren’t repaired, they are replaced.
I used to have a starter on an el camino with a dead spot in it, had to give it a smack with a hammer every so often.

Grumpy

I used to have a starter on an el camino with a dead spot in it, had to give it a smack with a hammer every so often.
Same here, carried a hammer and a 2x2 to fish thru the engine bay and smack the starter on a few cars back in the day.

SamSpade

Well - the repair people had it a whole week.

The problem ? They couldn't get it to FAIL. Turned over every time for them. They finally just sent it back.
I got on - turned it on - it ran. I drove it around the yard a couple times, ran with the blades running. Worked fine.

THAT didn't surprise me. THIS - has happened before.

Drove it back to in front of the garage. Turned it off.

Won't turn over. Won't start a SECOND time, which is exactly the problem I was having before. You can start it up, but it WILL NOT START A SECOND TIME if you turn it off briefly - like if you were actually using it and had to get off for a few seconds.

I'm losing my mind. I'd buy a new one if it weren't for the fact that I have NO IDEA what do do with this thing.

Clem72

You can start it up, but it WILL NOT START A SECOND TIME if you turn it off briefly - like if you were actually using it and had to get off for a few seconds.

Do you actually turn it off when you do this? Mine has a switch to lock the break/keep the motor running once you hop off seat. I usually just reduce to low speed and set the switch then go do my business.

Grumpy

I'm losing my mind. I'd buy a new one if it weren't for the fact that I have NO IDEA what do do with this thing.

Sounds to me that the starter is suffering from heat soak and won't work until it cools off. If it was me, I'd put a new starter on it. Other than that, I can't think of anything else it could be.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Sounds to me that the starter is suffering from heat soak and won't work until it cools off. If it was me, I'd put a new starter on it. Other than that, I can't think of anything else it could be.
To test that theory, hot jump the starter. If it has a separate starter solenoid, just jump the terminals. If it doesn't turn over, it's the starter/stater solenoid.

SamSpade

Do you actually turn it off when you do this? Mine has a switch to lock the break/keep the motor running once you hop off seat. I usually just reduce to low speed and set the switch then go do my business.
Yes, I turn it completely off. And I might as well, because the seat safety switch shuts it off if I get off the mower.

I tried getting my daughter to start it, because she weighs a LOT less than I do - and it made no difference.

The repair crew said, they couldn't get it to fail. I can't think of a test I can perform to isolate the problem. Because it isn't doing anything.

SamSpade

To test that theory, hot jump the starter. If it has a separate starter solenoid, just jump the terminals. If it doesn't turn over, it's the starter/stater solenoid.
But - it starts ONCE. Then nothing.

What do you mean by hot jumping the starter? Just hook the battery up to a charger, and then start? Because I've done that, and - nothing. It has plenty of juice. The light comes on if you just turn on the head lights.

SamSpade

Maybe, but - I ran it for like, a minute. And then it wouldn't start again. Meanwhile the grass keeps growing.

I'm losing my mind.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
But - it starts ONCE. Then nothing.

What do you mean by hot jumping the starter? Just hook the battery up to a charger, and then start? Because I've done that, and - nothing. It has plenty of juice. The light comes on if you just turn on the head lights.
Not quite. Make sure it's still in a failed state. If it is, use a jumper cable connected to the battery positive pole and touch it to the starter battery connection. If it has a separate starter solenoid, use the jumper cable to connect the two large lugs on it. Don't forget to have someone sit on the seat while doing this.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Same here, carried a hammer and a 2x2 to fish thru the engine bay and smack the starter on a few cars back in the day.
My pickup will do this from time to time, but only if I run it for a few minutes and then shut it down. Go to restart and nothing. Get out the carpet roll, sling it under the passenger side, slide under and smack the starter with a hammer or anything else that's handy. It's only ever done it in the yard. Once it's warm, I'm golden. It's never failed to start during regular use. Crazy...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yes, I turn it completely off. And I might as well, because the seat safety switch shuts it off if I get off the mower.
Mine only shuts off if I leave the blades/pto engaged, otherwise in "park" mode I can hop on and off as often as I need. What model JD is it?

SamSpade

Ok - THIS will sound stupid but- I am able to start it now.

Previously I just hopped on and turned the key and it would at least turn over, no matter where the throttle was. Been this way as long as I’ve owned it.

I can start and stop and start with - relative ease, adjusting the throttle -IF I start it full throttle. It sputters a bit but - I did it about five times, shutting it off completely each time.

Ok, it sounds stupid - but I swear it never needed that condition before. It would ALWAYS turn over, even if it choked and sputtered. NOW it needs full on. Not knowing mower engines well, I suspect there may yet be further maintenance type problems - logic tells me if it doesn't work just the way it did before, something is not as good as it was before.

Thanks for the help. I don't know why it works now, but for the moment, it does, and if it works for two more months, that's all I need.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:yay:
Depending on the model, there may be an engine kill wire connected to the throttle. If it's out of adjustment, what you describe could happen.

And just to clarify... I think we all took it to mean "won't turn over" to mean it didn't spin up at all. Now I'm getting the impression it spun but did not start.

SamSpade

:yay:
Depending on the model, there may be an engine kill wire connected to the throttle. If it's out of adjustment, what you describe could happen.

And just to clarify... I think we all took it to mean "won't turn over" to mean it didn't spin up at all. Now I'm getting the impression it spun but did not start.
I meant that it never uttered a sound. It was if I hadn't done a thing.
No whir-whir-whir, no click, no nothing. Just what you'd get if the battery was dead.

SamSpade

Tried it yesterday - after mowing the front yard on Wednesday, thought I'd do the back. NOTHING. Tried every maneuver I could come up with, but got bupkis. So I am done. We have a new mower coming. It's gotta be better than asking neighbors to borrow one or paying someone to do it. I am just tired of months long struggles with a mower NO ONE can figure out what's wrong with it.

I think I am going to GIVE IT AWAY as is. Look for classifieds in the near future. Whoever can fix it, take it away, it's yours.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Tried it yesterday - after mowing the front yard on Wednesday, thought I'd do the back. NOTHING. Tried every maneuver I could come up with, but got bupkis. So I am done. We have a new mower coming. It's gotta be better than asking neighbors to borrow one or paying someone to do it. I am just tired of months long struggles with a mower NO ONE can figure out what's wrong with it.

I think I am going to GIVE IT AWAY as is. Look for classifieds in the near future. Whoever can fix it, take it away, it's yours.
I'd like to have it. I collect lawn equipment, fix it, and find someone in need. It's my little contribution to the less fortunate.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd like to have it. I collect lawn equipment, fix it, and find someone in need. It's my little contribution to the less fortunate.
You do that with outboard motors too? I have needs. Especially after learning from the AirBnB reviewer that figured out I suffer from "economic disparity". :battingeyes:

• Haha
Reactions: TPD