John McCain has big decision: Who to pick as VP

B

Bruzilla

...but, as has been discussed before, the GOP is a rather 'next in line' group of people. In 1996, former veep nominee Bob Dole was next in line. So, being a losing veep is not automatically the kiss of death. It can be; didn't do much for Quayle, but it's not automatic.

So, the point is that if you're the veep nominee, that's an awful lot of exposure and a pretty big opportunity; very hard to turn down. I mean, at the end of the day, folks are looking out for #1, not a party or the nation.

It still stuns me to see that the GOP does not have a sitting veep who is a candidate for the next step up. It is just beyond me how this happened.
It seemed like a natural that Cheney would retire at year six and the new person would have some time under their belt before the campaign started.

Strange times.

Larry, I think if you go back and read through some of the post-mortums in 1996, you will find that the only reason the Republican party threw it's weight behind Dole getting the nonination was they knew Clinton was going to win re-election and they didn't want to waste a good candidate. Bob Dole had always been a faithful member of the party, and many Republican leaders wanted him to get his shot at the big time because they knew he was nearing the end of his career, and if by some odd chance he won... great, but if he lost, that was okay too. That's a big difference with what may happen in 2012.