Johnny Cochrane dead

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Nupe2 said:
You might also express your displeasure at the fact that the poor and the ignorant go to jail in disproportionate numbers when compared to those of us who have access to the resources needed to access the best of the legal system.

Sorry, Nupe, no red for you on this one. But I must say, I don't recall Johnny helping the poor and ignorant (wait, maybe he did defend some really ignorant but rich people) as one of his shining contributions to mankind.

Nupe2

Lenny said:
Sorry, Nupe, no red for you on this one. But I must say, I don't recall Johnny helping the poor and ignorant (wait, maybe he did defend some really ignorant but rich people) as one of his shining contributions to mankind.

Read a little more about him. He spent a great deal of his career helping the "little people." The bigger cases helped him and his associates, just as with most larger firms, to provide pro bono services when possible.

Thanks for not firing me up!

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
Nupe2 said:
Read a little more about him. He spent a great deal of his career helping the "little people." The bigger cases helped him and his associates, just as with most larger firms, to provide pro bono services when possible.

Thanks for not firing me up!

I can't say that I admire Johnny for defending OJ, but then again as you said he was just doing his job... :ohwell: As said earlier, he did look very good for sixty seven years old. Does anyone know if this was a case of sudden death w/o warning or if doctors knew that he was going to die and Johnny just didn't wish to speak about it to the general public and media?

candyjax84

Temperamental Artist
ABC News is told he passed away in his home today, after suffering from an inoperable brain tumor. (that's all I could find)

Good stuff: He remained a beloved figure in the black community, admired as a lawyer who was relentless in his pursuit of justice and as a philanthropist who helped fund a UCLA scholarship, a low-income housing complex and a New Jersey legal academy, among other charitable endeavors.

Link for more: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/apress_032905_cochranobit.html

Toxick

Splat
candyjax84 said:
He remained a beloved figure in the black community, admired as a lawyer who was relentless in his pursuit of justice and as a philanthropist

I can understand "polishing" the truth out of respect for the dead, "relentless in his pursuit of justice" is a little.... contrived.

To say the least.

Like it or not, his legacy will forever be getting a guilty man acquitted.

Kind of the opposite of justice from my vantage point.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Toxick said:
It would suck to be defined by one moment in your life, don't ya think?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
I can understand "polishing" the truth out of respect for the dead, "relentless in his pursuit of justice" is a little.... contrived.

To say the least.

Kind of the opposite of justice from my vantage point.
Until a time that you find yourself setting at the defendants table and then you would want the most devious, diabolical lawyer around, someone like Mr. Cochrane over Joe Nobody the PD.

Toxick

Splat
Nickel said:
It would suck to be defined by one moment in your life, don't ya think?

Aldous Huxley seems to think so.

Bill Clinton hasn't chimed in on that subject yet - but I'll bet he's second-guessed a certain 10 minutes of his life quite often.

Toxick

Splat
Ken King said:
Until a time that you find yourself setting at the defendants table and then you would want the most devious, diabolical lawyer around, someone like Mr. Cochrane over Joe Nobody the PD.

I'm quite certain that's a true statement.

It has nothing to do with what I said - but very probably true enough.

Nupe2

Ken King said:

Where's that "Yeah That" smiley? Oh, there it is... :yeahthat:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Toxick said:

Bill Clinton hasn't chimed in on that subject yet - but I'll bet he's second-guessed a certain 10 minutes of his life quite often.
You can't negate the good someone does with their life by harping on one moment in time, when he was really just doing his job.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
My Input:

Controversy has an enemy when great (not necessarily positive) things are done, and that is - no controversary. Out of his death, light will be shed on both the good and bad things Mr. Cochrane spent doing while walking this earth. Hopefully, the positive actions will gain more energy and attention in memory, as his historical trial victories will surely place seat in history books.

What I mean, is, I hope that some of his redeeming qualities will be shined upon.

Toxick

Splat
Nickel said:
You can't negate the good someone does with their life by harping on one moment in time, when he was really just doing his job.

I wasn't harping on it. I mentioned it, because frankly that is how he's going to go down in history.

Nothing wrong with doing one's job - I never said there was. But his job was to defend his clients. It was most certainly not the 'relentless pursuit of justice'.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Toxick said:
I wasn't harping on it. I mentioned it, because frankly that is how he's going to go down in history.

Nothing wrong with doing one's job - I never said there was. But his job was to defend his clients. It was most certainly not the 'relentless pursuit of justice'.
I didn't mean to imply that you, yourself, were harping, it was in a general sense, and the word "you" was used a little too loosely. It's horrible that he will be remembered for the OJ trial, one of the biggest mishandlings of justice of our time, and not for any of the good. It's just a terrible legacy to leave.

Nickel said:
It's just a terrible legacy to leave.
If the legacy of which you speak, does in fact become his, then what does that say of the man?

The true contributions and legacies of a person become more evident with the passing of time.

We'll see...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Ken King said:
Even though I think OJ's acquittal had a lot to do with Cochrane playing the race card, Ken has an excellent point. Cochrane's over-the-top theatrics were funny (as well as being a good argument against cameras in courtrooms), but he delivered for his clients.

Toxick said:
Aldous Huxley seems to think so./QUOTE]

Huh? :confused: Was Huxley's popular image defined by one moment? Or did he just make obsevations about that phenomenon?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
virgovictoria said:
My Input:

Controversy has an enemy when great (not necessarily positive) things are done, and that is - no controversary. Out of his death, light will be shed on both the good and bad things Mr. Cochrane spent doing while walking this earth. Hopefully, the positive actions will gain more energy and attention in memory, as his historical trial victories will surely place seat in history books.

What I mean, is, I hope that some of his redeeming qualities will be shined upon.
Well said, VV!!

Toxick

Splat
Tonio said:
Toxick said:

Huh? :confused: Was Huxley's popular image defined by one moment? Or did he just make obsevations about that phenomenon?

His popular image is defined by the book "Brave New World" - a work which he considered to be far inferior to his other works, although those books languish in almost complete obscurity, while BNW continues to thrive 40 years after his death.