Joseph was a brat!!!!!

seekeroftruth

Genesis 37:1 Jacob lived in the land where his father had stayed, the land of Canaan.
2 This is the account of Jacob’s family line.
Joseph, a young man of seventeen, was tending the flocks with his brothers, the sons of Bilhah and the sons of Zilpah, his father’s wives, and he brought their father a bad report about them.
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate robe for him. 4 When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.
5 Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. 6 He said to them, “Listen to this dream I had: 7 We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.”
8 His brothers said to him, “Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?” And they hated him all the more because of his dream and what he had said.
9 Then he had another dream, and he told it to his brothers. “Listen,” he said, “I had another dream, and this time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.”
10 When he told his father as well as his brothers, his father rebuked him and said, “What is this dream you had? Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?” 11 His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the matter in mind.
Here's the link to the commentary.
According to Boice, the real idea behind the ancient Hebrew phrase for tunic of many colors is that it was a tunic extending all the way down to the wrists and ankles, as opposed to a shorter one. This was not what a workingman wore. It was a garment of privilege and status. The man who wore a tunic of many colors watched others as they did hard physical labor.​
They hated him and could not speak peaceably to him: Jacob’s favoritism of Joseph was an obvious source of conflict in the family. The brothers naturally hated him, because the father favored him and Joseph also reported their bad behavior.​
Joseph had a dream, and he told it to his brothers; and they hated him even more: At best, Joseph showed a great lack of tact. Surely he knew how much his brothers hated to hear this dream, which set him above his brothers.​
Then he dreamed still another dream and told it to his brothers: If Joseph was unwise to tell the first dream (knowing how irritating it was to his brothers), then it was worse to share this second dream. The second dream was likely to cause even more resentment, because it set him not only above his brothers, but also set him above his father and mother.​
The sun, the moon, and the eleven stars bowed down to me: The idea of the stars, moon, and sun representing the family of Israel is repeated in Revelation 12:1. That passage speaks of Jesus coming from the nation of Israel.​
Aaahh, Sibling Rivalry. Wait what? The parents will bow too... Oh Joseph, what a big head you have!!!

When a child is always left out, we tend to feel sorry for them and want to take their side. I think Joseph was his own worst enemy. Jacob [Israel] saw it, but didn't interfere. [Verse 11]

Joseph was bigheaded!!! All he thought about, apparently, was how much better he was than anyone else. They aren't doing it right, they're not saying it right, that's not how I would do it. Joseph thought his poop stunk much less than his brothers and told them so.

What a wonderful example of "family". NOT!!

We all know it's not nice to give a present to one child without giving all the others a gift as well. It's not nice to show favoritism.

Joseph was a tattletale!!! Plain and simple, Joseph carried tales. It's not nice to carry tales on your brothers [or your sister].

There were four different mothers!!! First of all, how in the world does a household run with four head-of-households? Jacob [Israel] obviously loved Rachel more than the others. Did Rachel rule the roost, or did the other three rule Rachel?

Jacob [Israel] rubbed it in by making that "coat of many colors" for one son and not all.

Joseph, that self-centered tattletale, rubbed it in by wearing it all the time. With all that fabric... it would have been impossible for him to chase down an errant goat in the pasture.

Joseph was seventeen when this happened. He should have been married with children of his own by that ripe old age.

I guess he was "too good" for any of the available girls. I don't think I would have had anything to do with the likes of self-centered, big headed, tale carrying Joseph.

Joseph was a brat!!!!

:coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jacob came from a family that showed favoritism and encouraged extreme sibling rivalry, so it's not surprising he'd urge that in his own sons. All those Bible people are nuts, which is what happens when you inbreed.

SamSpade

It’s no secret to anyone that Jacob favored Rachel. He was tricked into marrying Leah but was willing to work an ADDITIONAL seven years (after having worked seven only to wake up to Leah the morning after his wedding night). If Abraham and Isaac showed, parents played favorites. Abraham favored Isaac over Ishmael, and Isaac favored Esau over Jacob.

And as happens all throughout the Bible when a patriarch or king has many wives or concubines - and thus, many children - the children often were tribal and friction arose among them. Hence, when Amnon rapes his half-sister Tamar - it’s her full sibling Absalom who kills him.

Two lessons. One - one wife at a time is plenty. More is just asking for trouble. In medieval times, children got married off to secure peace with other nations. In Biblical times, the kings just did it themselves multiple times. Two - don’t have so many damned kids that you can’t keep track.

As it happens - Joseph DID come to rule over them all. In a rare bit of irony BECAUSE of what they did to him.