Judge Andrew Napolitano: FISA – utilized to OK FBI surveillance of 2016 Trump campaign – is unconstitutional

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That report, released earlier this week, concludes that the original FISA statutory standard -- probable cause of foreign agency -- was met when Australian intelligence agents tipped off CIA and FBI agents to the boasts of one of Donald Trump's foreign policy advisers that he had ties to the Kremlin.

The FBI then took that tip, added to it erroneous, incomplete and unverified materials, and persuaded FISC to issue warrants to surveil the Trump adviser and the campaign.

The DOJ IG found that the beginning of the investigation was lawful and nonpolitical, but its expansion and continuance manifested substantial violations of DOJ and FBI protocols.

There is more. FISA is not only unconstitutional; it is also inherently corrupting of government officials.

[clip]

There is no such exposure under FISA, and FBI and National Security Agency agents know that. They also know that their methods and applications to the secret FISC will never be exposed to defense counsel or to the public.

Until now.

Now, we have seen in a case involving the president of the United States, a material alteration of a document, reliance on unverified allegations, substantial omissions, agents duping one another, applications signed by senior DOJ and FBI folks who never even read, much less questioned, what they signed -- all done with the false comfort that their misdeeds would not come to light.

My intelligence and law enforcement colleagues tell me that two generations of FBI agents have come of age believing that if they have a weak case, if they lack enough probable cause to obtain a search warrant, they can always get one from FISC.

The FISA court is repugnant to the Constitution and to the concept of an independent judiciary, and it took an IG report on the FBI and the president to demonstrate that.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judge-andrew-napolitano-whats-wrong-with-fisa

SamSpade

Given his "recent" anti-Trump animus Judge Nap must have been holding his nose when he said this.

--- End of line (MCP)

I'm still kind of sketchy about the initial tip off - evidently in a bar. I don't care how Hollywood it sounds, when you're dealing with a potential international incident - you discuss it in a bar?

Another bit I don't understand, but I don't get law enforcement - they didn't think it was important to tip off the Trump campaign? Maybe that's just law enforcement - you assume everyone is a potential crook - but I thought it strange they didn't see it as important to ever let anyone know there might be a Russian agent in the campaign, especially since after a while it became more apparent it wasn't yielding results.

I did think - but wasn't surprised - by the fact that the press everywhere lead with the "no bias" thing - but later clarification has only gotten traction in the conservative press. Everywhere else, the initial thing everyone went with and still are going with is, everything was on the up and up and no one had any political axe to grind, and he's subsequently made it clear, nope, no one is exonerated.

As I understand it, his judgment is, their first indication gave them cause to check out - but everything afterward was clearly politically motivated - that once they had a foot in the door, they ran with it, beyond any need to protect the country and the election. There was no "there" there, but they weren't about to give up their golden goose.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I'm still kind of sketchy about the initial tip off - evidently in a bar. I don't care how Hollywood it sounds, when you're dealing with a potential international incident - you discuss it in a bar?
You'd be surprised (maybe?) how much "good stuff" comes out in bars and similar establishments. So I don't have a problem with the bar aspect; I am surprised that such cheap talk wasn't thoroughly vetted. And that's the key: whoever "they" is/are "they" wanted this anti-Trump effort to take off so much that "they" were willing to go forward with what they had to know was a BS case. So it's my opinion that "they" didn't think there would be push-back/"they" wouldn't be caught.

If this meant "they" thought they wouldn't get caught I'm betting "they" didn't put in enough safeguards to protect themselves if they were (caught). So this should be interesting as Durham moves forward. I can't help but wonder that there are a bunch of plea bargains/offers to "help" going on behind the scenes....

--- End of line (MCP)

SamSpade

Has Napolitano ALWAYS been opposed to FISA?

My gut has never liked a "secret" court like FISA. I get why we have it, but it has never sit well with me because of the chance of abuse.
And I think we've seen it.

Grumpy

So it's my opinion that "they" didn't think there would be push-back/"they" wouldn't be caught.
"They" were sure Hillary was going to be elected, and their game would stay in the darkness for the eternity. Just goes to show you nothing is a sure thing.

Chris0nllyn

Given his "recent" anti-Trump animus Judge Nap must have been holding his nose when he said this.

--- End of line (MCP)

I don't think you can equate Trump criticism to criticism of overeaching government. Nap has been against this sort of warrantless spying for years and years.

He thought it was unconstitutional then, and does now.

I don't think you can equate Trump criticism to criticism of overeaching government. Nap has been against this sort of warrantless spying for years and years.

He thought it was unconstitutional then, and does now.
Agreed. I've watched him for years. He has been steadfast on the subject.