Jump Ideas ...

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Ok. a fun thread with no drama! :howdy: I am looking to create a small jump course and wanted to know if anyone had some cool jump ideas for easy yet cool jumps! I have some PVC jump poles...but am looking for wood rails to paint up as well. So let me know your ideas, or if you know of good websites for this stuff...send them!:yahoo:

fredsaid2

Jumps, Etc. by Lisa Campbell. Good instructions and materials list to build wing standards and two types of schooling standards. Also covers lots of gates, a roll top and such. I've built most of the standards. It's not hard with the right tools. There's a fence business off Dower House Road that sells standards and rails. Can't remember the name. I'll post it when I do. Have fun!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Ok. a fun thread with no drama! :howdy: I am looking to create a small jump course and wanted to know if anyone had some cool jump ideas for easy yet cool jumps! I have some PVC jump poles...but am looking for wood rails to paint up as well. So let me know your ideas, or if you know of good websites for this stuff...send them!:yahoo:

:howdy: How about a water jump? You could use a shallow water trough on the ground and have hoses mounted on opposite poles with streams of water shooting across at the height you want the horse to jump. It might get messy so it would have to be close to some downward grading to allow run off, but would be fun on a hot day.

eventrder

Get the book Jumps etc......... Easy to build and cheap! You can go to Cedar fence (off dowerhouse road) but your going to pay an arm and a leg. I built a course with almost everything in that book for under 600.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

Sorry off topic, do you have or know of any little short haired Kittens needing a home. My son's girlfriend is hoping to be able to get one. Thanks:howdy:

Sparks

Get the book Jumps etc......... Easy to build and cheap! You can go to Cedar fence (off dowerhouse road) but your going to pay an arm and a leg. I built a course with almost everything in that book for under 600.

I don't think they do horse jumps anymore :( I called about poles a while back and they said they only had "seconds" and they weren't sure they would continue with it.

eventrder

I don't think they do horse jumps anymore :( I called about poles a while back and they said they only had "seconds" and they weren't sure they would continue with it.

I think its because everyone got smart!! Why pay 200 for a gate when you can make one for 25.00! But they were the only place to get poles! Cant find round poles anywhere!

fredsaid2

That's too bad! They were the ones I was thinking of. I don't know of any other suppliers close by and at a decent price. I know others suggest cutting the edges off 4x4s but I'd probably lose a hand....

Appendix, as far as other suggestions - landscape timbers as ground poles and drilled for fake flowers to give color. Fabric or heavy plastic material secured between two poles for panels. A blue tarp secured on the ground to simulate a water jump. That's all I have for now.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
That's too bad! They were the ones I was thinking of. I don't know of any other suppliers close by and at a decent price. I know others suggest cutting the edges off 4x4s but I'd probably lose a hand....

Appendix, as far as other suggestions - landscape timbers as ground poles and drilled for fake flowers to give color. Fabric or heavy plastic material secured between two poles for panels. A blue tarp secured on the ground to simulate a water jump. That's all I have for now.

BZ knows the name of that place off of Dowerhouse.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
How about PVC for poles - something thick like schedule 40?

I made my own jumps.. went to Lowes.. everything cost about 100 bucks. Love 'em but, the pvc poles aren't quite heavy enough... I'm trying to think of a way to weigh them... sandbags?... Lead?

fredsaid2

PVC is ok but I don't like how they splinter when they break. You could put sand inside and duct tape the ends to make them weighter.

Sparks

I have an 8' or so long white PVC pole at my house. Probably leftover from construction or who knows what. Anyway, I drug it down to the ring and use it as a trot/canter pole. It's HEAVY. I can't imagine it needing to be weighted down. I'd think it would take A LOT to break this one.

I'll have to see what size it is.

eventrder

PVC is ok you can buy the caps at 84 lumber or lowes that go on the end and fill them with sand. Bad thing is that they splinter and they are too light if not weighted horses learn that it does no hurt when they hit them and they become lazy. Also to get enough PVC to do a course with ground lines it gets pretty expensive but they will weather better than wood ones.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Jumps, Etc. by Lisa Campbell. Good instructions and materials list to build wing standards and two types of schooling standards. Also covers lots of gates, a roll top and such. I've built most of the standards. It's not hard with the right tools. There's a fence business off Dower House Road that sells standards and rails. Can't remember the name. I'll post it when I do. Have fun!

Fred is this the book you were talking about??:whistle:

Amazon.ca: Jumps, Etc: Jumps, Dressage Arenas, and Stable Equipment You Can Build: Books: Lisa Campbell

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Can anyone else hear the pounding of hammers and the screaching of saws coming from the middle of Calvert County????:whistle: :lmao: