Jumper Shows in Calvert

Eventer29

Who might be interested in doing some jumper schooling shows in Calvert county? We are possibly looking at doing some shows at Country Haven, or at Riverview Stables in Prince Frederick. The divisions would be X rails, 18"-2', 2'3"-2'6", 2'9"-3', 3'3"-3'6" and maybe 4' if there was enough interest. classes will be power and speed and time first j/o (table II sec. 2(b)) and there will be an add back class in each division but the X rails.
We will also be doing our regular schooling shows at Riverview. Those will offer Western, Leadline, Trail, english Eq and pleasure, hunter o/f, jumper and speed (barrels, poles etc.)classes. We don't have dates set quite yet, just trying to see who may be interested.

Eventer29

We are also looking into Kings Landing for the jumper shows. We will still do our reg open schooling shows withthe variety of classes at Riverview since we have the indoor. But may do the jumper shows either at Country Haven or Kings Landing. Kings Landing has plenty of parking, is easily accessable, and has a nice ring.

Chickadee1

Who might be interested in doing some jumper schooling shows in Calvert county? We are possibly looking at doing some shows at Country Haven, or at Riverview Stables in Prince Frederick. The divisions would be X rails, 18"-2', 2'3"-2'6", 2'9"-3', 3'3"-3'6" and maybe 4' if there was enough interest. classes will be power and speed and time first j/o (table II sec. 2(b)) and there will be an add back class in each division but the X rails.
We will also be doing our regular schooling shows at Riverview. Those will offer Western, Leadline, Trail, english Eq and pleasure, hunter o/f, jumper and speed (barrels, poles etc.)classes. We don't have dates set quite yet, just trying to see who may be interested.

being a winter jumper and show series would need to know a few things about both farms......how is parking and trailer turn around at riverview??......and at country haven???......what are the ring sizes and ring footing at riverview??....indoor???....outdoor??....ring sizes and footing at country haven??....indoor??....outdoor??.....are there series end awards???....

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
i love jumper shows!! but i have a big trailer.. so I need trailer turn around.. but I do love to bring the trailer fully loaded... :yahoo:

Robin

I think the facility at Country Haven is better suited for Jumper classes. The size of the ring, and footing make it very desirable. Whats nice is their neighbor allowed adjacent property for parking and turn around of larger trailers bringing clients in. They have a great handle on the driveway/road entering in to the property although the drive is narrow to allow trailers and vehicles coming and going. I see that this years program is offering better classes for the rated jumpers to attend. I heard many good feed back from the chessie show that was attended last year. Its nice to see height for jumping geared for those riders.

Eventer if you are able to put on some shows at Kings Landing might benefit your Frostbite series. Let us know what you decide to do I know folks ask for winter riding shows to keep the horses prepped for hunting and show season.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Honestly...How many people are going to actually ride in the jumper classes? Not just talk about it but actually pre-enter, show up, and ride in the classes. I have tried to accomodate the jumper riders but when it really came down to it, few people showed up to do it. I can't imagine that it would be worth all of the time and effort of putting on a jumper show for 5 people. I speak from experience. Good luck! Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Even at MSA and SMHA their doesn't seem to be a lot of jumper rider support.

Z

zansgoodnews

I would honestly take part. I really need to get out this fall/winter and there don't seem to be many places close by that appeal to higher jumper riders (or atleast none that I have found so far).

highnote

I'd really like to see local jumper shows in the spring/summer rather than winter. I couldnt find any jumper shows locally in June/July/Aug this year, and ended up hauling 3 hrs away for several different eventing competitions. The weather this summer was very mild and nice! But sorry, I won't make myself miserable riding in freezing temps for a jumper show. It would be nice to have a jumper series sometime between May-Oct. I know a lot of people dont show at all during dec-jan-feb-mar, so if you want to have the best chance at a good turnout, wait till the warmer weather.

Z

zansgoodnews

I'd really like to see local jumper shows in the spring/summer rather than winter. I couldnt find any jumper shows locally in June/July/Aug this year, and ended up hauling 3 hrs away for several different eventing competitions. The weather this summer was very mild and nice! But sorry, I won't make myself miserable riding in freezing temps for a jumper show. It would be nice to have a jumper series sometime between May-Oct. I know a lot of people dont show at all during dec-jan-feb-mar, so if you want to have the best chance at a good turnout, wait till the warmer weather.

Where are you located? At PGEC during Spring/Summer there was SMHA, BEST, and MSA.

highnote

I did know about the shows up at PGEC... but none of those are dedicated jumper shows like the OP is organizing. Some of those series you mentioned didnt even have a jumper division. I wasnt just looking for ANY shows, I was looking for JUMPER shows. I dont do the hunter, pleasure, equitation stuff anymore.

fredsaid2

I did know about the shows up at PGEC... but none of those are dedicated jumper shows like the OP is organizing. Some of those series you mentioned didnt even have a jumper division. I wasnt just looking for ANY shows, I was looking for JUMPER shows. I dont do the hunter, pleasure, equitation stuff anymore.

BEST, MSA & SMHA all have a full schedule of jumper divisions from beginner jumper at 2' up through high schooling jumpers at 3'9" to 4'. If you're looking to do jumpers they have you covered from early spring through the fall and it's practically in our backyard. I think you'll be hard pressed to find an only jumper show unless it's a small barn one. If you're beyond the high schooling you'll probably have to head out to Culpeper.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
BEST and SMHA have a dedicated jumper ring.. I spent all spring and summer there.. there was a total of 8 shows.. and then MSA also has jumper shows.. check out their websites or google pgec and click on the links from the horse events tab..

I think CAVES farm does a early spring jumper show. and Frying Pan Park has soem winter series..

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Why dedicated only jumper shows??? Even at rated shows they have the Hunter/Equitation/Jumpers going on at the same time. Were you looking for Eventer only jumper shows?

Agree with what Sadielady posted. Riders doing Jumpers want something closer to home, but when the time comes to have these divisions no one shows up. Cost the show management time and money for the ribbons.

Z

zansgoodnews

Why dedicated only jumper shows??? Even at rated shows they have the Hunter/Equitation/Jumpers going on at the same time. Were you looking for Eventer only jumper shows?

Agree with what Sadielady posted. Riders doing Jumpers want something closer to home, but when the time comes to have these divisions no one shows up. Cost the show management time and money for the ribbons.

I agree there are a lot of people who say they will come and then don't. Does anyone know of any other jumper series running in the fall/winter other than FPP?

If not I may have to settle with dressage shows....:bigwhoop:

Eventer29

I know we might be taking a chance on few people showing up. Thats why we are asking around right now to see who might come. I know Marlborough Pony club used to have some nice little jumper shows but I heard they are no longer doing them. They had a pretty good turnout. We showed at most of them and it was great for the kids that were new to showing over fences or in the jumper ring or had greenies. That is our goal. To run a nice little jumper schooling show where people can get out and compete over the winter and have a little fun too.
We have our schooling "frostbite series" as well. We get enough entries to make it worth while. Quite a few of the riders are interested in jumper classes we offer at those shows so we figure why not try a jumper only show?

As far as ring size I am not sure exactly how big the ring is at Country Haven. It is a nice size though. BZ prob knows the actual size. They do have plenty of parking w/ the neighbor's field. I do worry about traffic control w/ the narrow driveway. I have heard they have done a good job w/ that at their shows.
Riverview's outdoor ring is approx 120x100 but I will double check that it is grass w/ mainly sand/gravel underneath. The ground held up great last year even after some heavy rainfall. There is also a gravel ring that is approx 80x145. for the Frostbite Series we use the grass ring if the footing is good, the gravel if it is questionable, and the indoor for most flat classes. The indoor is 60x 100, small but it works(and is warmer than being out in the wind/cold). The main problem with Riverview is the parking. It can be tight esp with a big trailer, but if we know ahead of time we can make it work. We are working on getting use of a neighbor's field for parking.
According to the KL website their ring is 150x300. There is plenty of parking space, and the grounds are easily accessed.
IF we do the jumper shows we will likely do one in Nov and Dec and have the frostbite shows at Riverview Dec-Feb. and maybe do another jumper show or two in Feb and March.

Last edited:

Eventer29

Does anyone have contacts for the pony clubs? I know there were a few people dissapointed that MPC was no longer having their shows.