Just a darned cat.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
17 years ago, a cat-rescue friend of ours insisted that we take a pair of feral cats, half grown kittens actually, that she had rescued and had neutered and shots administered at her own expense. That's just what she did....maybe still does for all I know. I don't really like cats except when they had a purpose on our farm, which was to live in our barns, fending for themselves on the rats and mice therein.

I agreed, very reluctantly, to take these two brothers. They were totally wild and unapproachable, which was fine with me. My missus had a raised "cat house" built so we could feed them in a safe and sheltered spot but they were otherwise on their own outside.Our mouse problem disappeared practically overnight. An awful lot of small birds did too...a small pile of feathers here and there bearing mute testament to their untimely demise.

Fast forward 15 years. Both cats became "petting addicted" but only by a very few people. One of my employees even got one to the point he could pick one of them up and put him in his lap. The other one was much more stand-offish and only became friendly in that last couple of years. With me, mostly. He'd meet at the door of our house every morning and walk with me over to the shop to be in the cat house when I dumped the cup of cat food in his bowl. Every morning..regardless of the weather.

Feline leukemia got both of them eventually. Brother #1 had it first and disappeared about 2 years ago; we think a feral cat that was invading our place was at least partially responsible. Brother #2 obviously came down with it soon after and when my missus took him to be euthanized today, he was skin and bones and barely able to stand up.

And dammit...I cried when she put him in the little box to head up the road. So did she. Just a darned ole cat...darn it.

The pair of them...in better times.

Last edited:

ontheriver

17 years ago, a cat-rescue friend of ours insisted that we take a pair of feral cats, half grown kittens actually, that she had rescued and had neutered and shots administered at her own expense. That's just what she did....maybe still does for all I know. I don't really like cats except when they had a purpose on our farm, which was to live in our barns, fending for themselves on the rats and mice therein.

I agreed, very reluctantly, to take these two brothers. They were totally wild and unapproachable, which was fine with me. My missus had a raised "cat house" built so we could feed them in a safe and sheltered spot but they were otherwise on their own outside.Our mouse problem disappeared practically overnight. An awful lot of small birds did too...a small pile of feathers here and there bearing mute testament to their untimely demise.

Fast forward 15 years. Both cats became "petting addicted" but only by a very few people. One of my employees even got one to the point he could pick one of them up and put him in his lap. The other one was much more stand-offish and only became friendly in that last couple of years. With me, mostly. He'd meet at the door of our house every morning and walk with me over to the shop to be in the cat house when I dumped the cup of cat food in his bowl. Every morning..regardless of the weather.

Feline leukemia got both of them eventually. Brother #1 had it first and disappeared about 2 years ago; we think a feral cat that was invading our place was at least partially responsible. Brother #2 obviously came down with it soon after and when my missus took him to be euthanized today, he was skin and bones and barely able to stand up.

And dammit...I cried when she put him in the little box to head up the road. So did she. Just a darned ole cat...darn it.

View attachment 157247

Hugs Gilligan and Mrs Gilligan.

Grumpy

Welp..All Kinds sent him home in a nice little box and he's one of many pets now buried out in our woods or the shoreline.
100 yrs from now, I think someone may think we were sacrificing animals to some god if they dig in my yard. Various pets, dozen or more dogs, umpteen cats, 4 or 5 gerbils, 1 pet snake, various sheep from 4H, 2 deer that were shot but made it to my yard to die..Wish I could be here to see the documentary.

Sorry about your cat, Gilligan, I am not a cat person either but wife is and I have gotten attached to a few of them over the years.

Louise

I still think of all my rescue pets that have left over the years. Each was, individually, special; and crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I hope to be with them again. It all started in NOLA when I was 10, and found a kitten in a tree in our yard. I named her Kitty. She was a calico, and died 6 months before my daughter was born 22 years later.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Last edited:

phreddyp

View attachment 157247
Been there quite a few times , always hurt me !