Just got back from the

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Frank Madden clinic that was up at Big Easy Farm in Boyd's, MD. Avapie and Shadow did awesome. :starcat: I wish I could make the 2 hr. trek back up to watch her go again tomorrow, but I can't. Shadow was such a good pony and Frank Madden had a lot of praise for Avapie. :clap: The pony did great with all the excercises and didn't jump a 9' spread. :dye:

Here are a few of the Frankism's from today :
* Riding is not how much you can do, but how much you can Do WELL!! :starcat:
* Don't let the Horse use Excuses not to go
* Riding is a brick by brick process and getting great at the Fundamentals.
* If your Horse is Pulling on you, you don't know how to use your seat.
* When a horse breaks stride or speeds up you don't have proper pace or rhythm.
* When I horse breaks his Pace or Rhythm he is basically spitting out the bit.
* Don't abandon your horses mouth when you put leg on him.
* Don't let the Grove in your riding turn into a Rut in your training.
* Ignore your horses antics and focus on good riding.
* Don't become part of the problem, but become part of the solution.
* The stuff that you do will don't practice as much, but practice more the stuff you don't do so well.

I could go on :blahblah: but I'll stop here. :lmao:

covekat

I really need to write things down on my calender... Adrian had emailed me about this clinic, and I forgot about it.... shoot.

BZHorseMomE

awesome!!!!!! can't wait to hear more!

His stories about how he prepared Brianne Goutal and Maria Schaub for different Equitation Finals was really interesting. I need to go through my notes and put them in the computer. Sure wish I was going back tomorrow.

I might be free this Sunday. Do you want to go up to audit the Greg Best Clinic?

BZHorseMomE

I really need to write things down on my calender... Adrian had emailed me about this clinic, and I forgot about it.... shoot.

Adrian is great!!! He is taking such good care of Avapie's horse while she is up there for the clinic. That place is just beautiful. I should have asked him if he plans on having anymore clinics or having Frank Madden back again?

You should go up tomorrow. Frank talked so loud you could hear every word he said.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
One of my favorite sayings is
"If your horse can feel a fly land of him, then he is just ignoring your leg!" I can't remember who told me that but I have used it plenty since then. So true too!:lmao:

devinej

i heard that from todd minikus! about the fly

yes, BZ, sunday with greg best sounds good. where is it? what time? not totally sure yet, but maybe

Wait4It..boom

One of my favorite sayings is
"If your horse can feel a fly land of him, then he is just ignoring your leg!" who told me that but I have used it plenty since then. So true too!:lmao:

I love that! I'm going to write these all down and post them in the barn. BZ- those were great quotes!

BZHorseMomE

i heard that from todd minikus! about the fly

yes, BZ, sunday with greg best sounds good. where is it? what time? not totally sure yet, but maybe

Devine just got an e-mail back from Cindy Bacon. There are 5 sessions each day and run from 8am to 7pm. Let me see if I can get my brother to watch the boys for the day on Sunday. My Mom will probably want to come too.

Oh, Cindy also said they have a few openings if anyone is interested in riding in a session.

BZHorseMomE

Oh, here is one more :

The more the horse learns the more they try to get out of it. ALL Horses need maintance.

devinej

the horse is learning all the time. even a well-trained one....or a horse can be well-trained to do the wrong thing

avapie

Day 2 Frank Madden

Day 2 was AWESOME!!! Too bad you missed it BZ. I moved to the 3' group so I wouldn't have to drive the beltway traffic in thunderstorms. Boy did he put the fences up today. He spent a lot of time talking about keeping the horse in front of your leg. He also spent a great deal of time talking about contact. He'd rather see your horse a little heavy than you have no contact through the reins to his mouth. Our warm up was more shoulder ins and leg yielding plus TONS of canter circles. Boy did Shadow have a really nice canter at the end.

We then cantered the 9' poles several times. He had a second set across the arena to make a nice circle. Then came the courses. Lots of big oxers followed by a white pole in space --no ground line--no extra pole, just a 3'3" vertical three tiny strides after a big oxer.

Then he made up a few crazy courses. Lots of roll backs, 270 degree turns. He would add a half turn in reverse to change direction and take you to a line you would never normally jump. You would do a galloping 6 stride line followed by the canter poles on the ground and a tiny three stride back to a galloping line. Shadow was a rock star though. There were several refusals from some of the folks in my group. Shadow didn't look at or question anything I asked. It was incredible. She was covered in sweat from her ears to her tail and rounded over each of these fences like a champ.

Adrian said he was going to schedule another clinic with Frank some time next fall. Take advantage of it if you can..

ava
:yahoo:

BZHorseMomE

Day 2 was AWESOME!!! Too bad you missed it BZ. I moved to the 3' group so I wouldn't have to drive the beltway traffic in thunderstorms. Boy did he put the fences up today. He spent a lot of time talking about keeping the horse in front of your leg. He also spent a great deal of time talking about contact. He'd rather see your horse a little heavy than you have no contact through the reins to his mouth. Our warm up was more shoulder ins and leg yielding plus TONS of canter circles. Boy did Shadow have a really nice canter at the end.

We then cantered the 9' poles several times. He had a second set across the arena to make a nice circle. Then came the courses. Lots of big oxers followed by a white pole in space --no ground line--no extra pole, just a 3'3" vertical three tiny strides after a big oxer.

Then he made up a few crazy courses. Lots of roll backs, 270 degree turns. He would add a half turn in reverse to change direction and take you to a line you would never normally jump. You would do a galloping 6 stride line followed by the canter poles on the ground and a tiny three stride back to a galloping line. Shadow was a rock star though. There were several refusals from some of the folks in my group. Shadow didn't look at or question anything I asked. It was incredible. She was covered in sweat from her ears to her tail and rounded over each of these fences like a champ.

Adrian said he was going to schedule another clinic with Frank some time next fall. Take advantage of it if you can..

ava

:yahoo: I so wanted to be there!!! It sounds like it was an great session. Did you get to watch any of the 1st session before you rode? Were you able to get any video? After watching all the sessions yesterday you were more suited to move up to that group. Shadow is a rock star :drummer:!!

I'll try to get the pictures and video from yesterday posted for you. :howdy:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!

ava

Wow!! I can't believe you are going to sell your mare. You guys are a perfect match. I hope she finds a home with someone who loves her as much as you do. Did you get any video from today? It would make a great sale video! We will miss you Avepie!:huggy:

FrmGrl

Get some!
Wow!! I can't believe you are going to sell your mare. You guys are a perfect match. I hope she finds a home with someone who loves her as much as you do. Did you get any video from today? It would make a great sale video! We will miss you Avepie!:huggy:
Who said she is selling her???:whistle: Shadow will be back with her mommie before she knows it. In the mean time she gets to stay with Aunty FrmGrl and keep tuned up. Shadow will continue to be a rock star!!! Hey Duckz, wanna do the 3ft medal??? Got just the pony for ya!!!

Duckz

Who said she is selling her???:whistle: Shadow will be back with her mommie before she knows it. In the mean time she gets to stay with Aunty FrmGrl and keep tuned up. Shadow will continue to be a rock star!!! Hey Duckz, wanna do the 3ft medal??? Got just the pony for ya!!!

Sweet! I'll do it! :buddies: