Just wondering who next?

Who are you rooting for now?

• Indianapolis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No one, I've sworn off football after the skins defeat - its just too painful at this point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
You can kick on any down :shrug:

Eitheway,I give up... I do know that you can kick the ball before fourth down, in case there's a bobbled snap and then you can rekick it on your next down... but can't find nothing and I just got off the phone with my number one football geru (my dad) and he reittereated this so... you win!! :biggrin: Thanks for tolerating my silly concepts... :lol: My next theory is what exactly constitutes a bobbled snap... what if its bobbled and then they still get the kick off... is that a change of possession too? How much bobbling can you do and still be able to kick it again? Or, would it be... well it was a bobbled snap and that superceded the kick so it'd be a rekick or change of possession?
Kind of like... once the foot hits a football via punter or kicker thats it? Don't get me wrong, I really do know alot about football, more than most guys, there was just some fogginess on this particular circumstance.:smile:
Bobbled snap is when there is no kick attempt made and the offense retains possession.

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
MMDad said:
I haven't found the correct link, but I do remember this being explained during a game, when somebody tried on 2nd down. It was something like a missed FG is the same as an incomplete pass.
:confused: I have never heard of it being referred to as being like an incomplete pass. It is more like a fumble in the back field where the offense recovers the ball and is down at that point. If it was like an incomplete pass the ball would revert to the previous line of scrimmage.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ken King said:
:confused: I have never heard of it being referred to as being like an incomplete pass. It is more like a fumble in the back field where the offense recovers the ball and is down at that point. If it was like an incomplete pass the ball would revert to the previous line of scrimmage.

Now that you said it, I think you are right. Therefore, they can keep trying. It'll be interesting to see if someone can quote the rule.

Ken King

PREMO Member
MMDad said:
Now that you said it, I think you are right. Therefore, they can keep trying. It'll be interesting to see if someone can quote the rule.
I quoted the rule found above (post #15). For it to be an attempt the kicker must actually kick the ball, otherwise it is not an attempt.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:

And thereby you are able to rekick the ball. Incomplete ball = next down at the same line of scrimmage.
:biggrin:

Otter? What say you on this issue? :shrug:

Ken King

PREMO Member
dems4me said:
And thereby you are able to rekick the ball. Incomplete ball = next down at the same line of scrimmage.
:biggrin:

Otter? What say you on this issue? :shrug:
No, the ball would be down where ever it ends up and if it wasn't yet forth down, then you could try again but from the new line of scrimmage starting from where the last play ended.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
No, the ball would be down where ever it ends up and if it wasn't yet forth down, then you could try again but from the new line of scrimmage starting from where the last play ended.

so as long as the kickers foot doesn't touch the ball? :smile:

Ken King

PREMO Member
dems4me said:
so as long as the kickers foot doesn't touch the ball? :smile:
As long as no attempt is made or if the kick gets blocked and the offense recovers it and it is not yet forth down then you can get another try, but the next play will start from where the ball is downed at.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
As long as no attempt is made or if the kick gets blocked and the offense recovers it and it is not yet forth down then you can get another try, but the next play will start from where the ball is downed at.

there's no debate on the line of scrimmage or where the ball is downed at :shrug: just on whether you can rekick it, I was thinking along the lines as MMDad where its considered an incomplte pass or something.... but I do recall the bobbled snap rule thing and you are correct :smile:

donbarzini

All kicks(except for PAT's) are considered giving up possession of the ball. On a field goal attempt, if the ball goes through the uprights the offense is awarded 3 points. If the kick is missed, the defensive team is allowed to attempt to run the ball back(was done successfully this season). If they elect not to, the ball is brought back out to where the ball was spotted. Once your kicker's foot touches the ball, you are giving up possession. Ken, you probably remember when it was still legal to try to block the field goal try by standing under the uprights and jumping. Then along came Thomas Henderson, and after he blocked two or three, the NFL changed the rule.