Karma.....

BudoPo

penn, yep. All this time, when I said "differences" I was referring to Judaism vs. Christianity. That being said, there are lots of different views within Judaism. There's really no hierarchy in Judaism (like there is in Catholisism, for example), so there's no single dogma. There are some fundamental beliefs, but a lot of other views are very individualistic. I actually like this aspect of Judaism, as it tends to make people think for themselves. Actually, the Talmud is commentary about commentary about commentary, and never gives a final opinion. It's along the same lines. What we were discussing about Jesus/messiah, however, concerned beliefs common to all Jews (excluding the Messianic Jews, which many don't really consider as being Jewish).

As for reincarnation, that's one of the individual things. Judaism is much more concerned with how you live your life than what happens after we pass on, so thoughts on the afterlife vary widely. Some Jews believe in reincarnation, while others don't.

Karma developed in Asia (or Asia minor). I don't know if it's due to Buddhism or not. It's similar to Jewish belief, in that Judaism believes that you're responsible for your actions (and subsequent results). Karma says that your actions today affect what happens tomorrow. Two very similar ideas.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:smile: Ok Budo, let me chew on that for a while. Very interesting commentary. I found your anecdote about two Jews discussing a point of view, and getting three opinions hilarious! I heard that a while back refering to Jews unable to agree on anything, I think.
Do you think the stories told in "Almost an Angel" and "Miracle on Thirty -fourth Street" are pure Hollywood, or is that thought a possibility? Makes me wonder!

:cheers: penn