Kayaking McIntosh Run

sparkyaclown

Anyone here ever rent the kayaks at Port of Leonardtown and make the trek to the Wharf? I was considering trying this out for my first time kayaking but was wondering about how long will it take? Also how was the rental equipment and was everything supplied (ie PFDs)? Is it more of a one-way deal or do I need to be prepared to paddle back to the launch at the Port? I am assuming copious amounts of bug repellent are in order also.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We did this last summer and had a good time. It took about an hour to get from Point A to Point B, but you can take your time. They supplied all the equipment and picked us up at the Wharf when we were finished and took us back to our cars. Bugs weren't bad at all.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
We did this last summer and had a good time. It took about an hour to get from Point A to Point B, but you can take your time. They supplied all the equipment and picked us up at the Wharf when we were finished and took us back to our cars. Bugs weren't bad at all.

:yeahthat: nice paddle. Check the tide charts and try to go at high tide. There are a few spots where you can be scraping bottom

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Enjoyed it so much I bought two of my own. I live off McKays beach so I can just throw them in the water there and swing around into the Tall Timbers area off the Potomac.

aubriana

Went about a month ago and they did not provide a ride back to the lauch area. I had to call my brother to come get me.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Went about a month ago and they did not provide a ride back to the lauch area. I had to call my brother to come get me.

Did they tell you this before you left the launch? Where did you leave their equipment?

sparkyaclown

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely put it on my to-do list. Since it appears that it's a 2hr minimum rental anyhow, unless I just won't be able to do it I'll plan on paddling back if they aren't offering rides back.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
My wife and my 3 sisters did it a couple weeks ago and had a ball...The rented 2 Kayaks...Rented for 2 hours...They didn't go all the way to the wharf...There were some trees down across the run but they were able to go under them...Came back to the winery and got a bottle of wine and sat in there and drank it....I never thought in a million years they would have done that but they really had a good time....They were sore from laughing so hard...Three in their early 50's and one in her late 40's....They want to go back and do it again...Wifey has a lot of pictures...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
My wife and my 3 sisters did it a couple weeks ago and had a ball...The rented 2 Kayaks...Rented for 2 hours...They didn't go all the way to the wharf...There were some trees down across the run but they were able to go under them...Came back to the winery and got a bottle of wine and sat in there and drank it....I never thought in a million years they would have done that but they really had a good time....They were sore from laughing so hard...Three in their early 50's and one in her late 40's....They want to go back and do it again...Wifey has a lot of pictures...
Did they hear the dueling banjos?

Anyone here ever rent the kayaks at Port of Leonardtown and make the trek to the Wharf? I was considering trying this out for my first time kayaking but was wondering about how long will it take? Also how was the rental equipment and was everything supplied (ie PFDs)? Is it more of a one-way deal or do I need to be prepared to paddle back to the launch at the Port? I am assuming copious amounts of bug repellent are in order also.

My 11 Y/O and I did that trip back in the end of May. He farted around alot and it took us about an hour and a half. It was a very nice trip. We took my truck to the wharf (to bring the kayaks back) and they gave us a ride back to the whinery to start the trip. I'm not sure if you can arrange for them to pick you up at the wharf. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

We saw Bald Eagles twice, several Blue Herons, and even a muskrat. We took bug spray but didn't need it then. I want to do it again before the cold sets in.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
My 11 Y/O and I did that trip back in the end of May. He farted around alot and it took us about an hour and a half. It was a very nice trip. We took my truck to the wharf (to bring the kayaks back) and they gave us a ride back to the whinery to start the trip. I'm not sure if you can arrange for them to pick you up at the wharf. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

We saw Bald Eagles twice, several Blue Herons, and even a muskrat. We took bug spray but didn't need it then. I want to do it again before the cold sets in.
Go in the spring when the carp are mating. They splash like crazy against the shore line. Scares ya to death! :lmao: