Kayaking

greenbag13

Make the voices stop!!!!!
We launched Monday as planned, unfortunately the rain never came on Sunday. The water levels were very low, there were quite a few places you had to schooche the kayak to get through. We only made it about half a mile before one of the newbies decided it was a good day to take a dip, still not sure how he flipped his kayak. We headed back upstream after that and he flipped again.... To make a long, but funny story short, we ended up dragging our kayaks thruogh the woods to the back of the old 7-11. I may have to try it again when he's on the schedule to work....

greenbag13

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention the car parts and a few tires that are strewn throughout the first 1/4 mile or so.

bohman

greenbag13 said:
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention the car parts and a few tires that are strewn throughout the first 1/4 mile or so.

Yeah, it's pretty bad in a few spots, but it didn't really bother me because I sort of expected it, given the area that it runs through. Maybe next time I'll try to pick up any of the junk that's actually in the water, though the entire truck chassis that I saw probably won't be included in that effort. :lmao:

It's a shame that I even need to think about that, but any time water runs through a developed area you'll see just about everything thrown in to it. There's a similar body of water in my hometown that runs near some supermarkets, and the number of shopping carts in the water was shocking.

greenbag13

bohman said:
Yeah, it's pretty bad in a few spots, but it didn't really bother me because I sort of expected it, given the area that it runs through. Maybe next time I'll try to pick up any of the junk that's actually in the water, though the entire truck chassis that I saw probably won't be included in that effort. :lmao:

It's a shame that I even need to think about that, but any time water runs through a developed area you'll see just about everything thrown in to it. There's a similar body of water in my hometown that runs near some supermarkets, and the number of shopping carts in the water was shocking.
Maybe in the spring we can get a group of us to try and clear some of it out. We made it just past the truck chassis before we headed out. Have you tried Macintosh Run in Leonardtown? It's pretty nice, but has the same access issues.

bohman

I'd like that. I'll mark a calendar somewhere around April or May, and maybe we'll remember it.

The only local places I've canoed are St. Mary's lake, and St. Mary's river. I'm assuming Macintosh feeds into Breton Bay? What road does one take to get there?

greenbag13

bohman said:
I'd like that. I'll mark a calendar somewhere around April or May, and maybe we'll remember it.

The only local places I've canoed are St. Mary's lake, and St. Mary's river. I'm assuming Macintosh feeds into Breton Bay? What road does one take to get there?
It's at the old SHA station on RT 5, right by Maypole Rd. Water is a little deeper and there's still some debris, but not nearlt as much. And yes, it dumps into Brenton Bay. We usually leave a truck at the Wharf. It's about 2 hours at a leisurely pace.
April or May sounds good. I'm sure there are a few more people that would lend a hand.