Keeping sharp during the Furlough

GopherM

Darwin was right
I am also a furloughed contractor among the almost 350 other contractors and subs that support our facility.

The military is not on furlough. If the blimp does not require other support from the civilian test and evaluation groups on the base, just like TPS and NRL, etc. They can fly all they want. I'm prety sure that Oceana, NAS JAX, and all the men and women at war are still busy 24/7/365.

I am also a furloughed contractor among the almost 350 other contractors and subs that support our facility.

The military is not on furlough. If the blimp does not require other support from the civilian test and evaluation groups on the base, just like TPS and NRL, etc. They can fly all they want. I'm prety sure that Oceana, NAS JAX, and all the men and women at war are still busy 24/7/365.

But the Navy did cancel deployments earlier this year. One carrier group I think.

glhs837

Power with Control
:smack:

can't anyone just say JOB

They could but competency doesnt mean job. NAVAIR is broken into eight different competencies. Program management, contracts, research and engineering, test and evaluation, logistics and industrial operations, corporate operations, comptroller and counsel.

C

czygvtwkr

They could but competency doesnt mean job. NAVAIR is broken into eight different competencies. Program management, contracts, research and engineering, test and evaluation, logistics and industrial operations, corporate operations, comptroller and counsel.

Pretty sure they mean branch or division, competencies are huge and I probably don't know 10% of the people in my competency.

GopherM

Darwin was right
But the Navy did cancel deployments earlier this year. One carrier group I think.

Mostly delayed the deployments and extended those already abroad. The sailors kept working, they were just working wherever they were instead of someplace else.

C

czygvtwkr

NONE of our contractors have been furloughed, not a single one...

They must be primary support such as aircraft maintenance. The government employee contractor support is most likely furloughed, ie someones assistant. Contractors can not work without either government or military oversight so they probably support military. Or the other option is the contractor has its own facility off base that they report to.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Pretty sure they mean branch or division, competencies are huge and I probably don't know 10% of the people in my competency.

We also tend to forget that not all the folks on this base are attached to NAVAIR. There are actually active duty NAS and civilian support for those squadrons and functions.

C

czygvtwkr

We also tend to forget that not all the folks on this base are attached to NAVAIR. There are actually active duty NAS and civilian support for those squadrons and functions.

But we are all one NAVAIR or something like that, they told me that at my indoctrination years ago......

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyone else caught sight of the US Navy BLIMP flying around today.... on Furlough Friday?

I guess there is an exemption for them just in case there is a Dirigible attack from a 5th world nation!!!

F'n HYPOCRITES!!! :strangle:

Oh, and dirigibles and blimps protect our troops overseas 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and do an exceptional job doing it.

glhs837

Power with Control
But we are all one NAVAIR or something like that, they told me that at my indoctrination years ago......

Well, every squadron on base is NAVAIR, with one exception. VX-1 is a fleet squadron. Theres some NAVSEA stuff that goes on also.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
:smack:

can't anyone just say JOB
Because at my job there are only about 25-30 contractors, the furloughs affect my whole competency, which has several hundred contractors. I also know that other competencies are affected since I support them also.

And BTW, Job is what you do, not where you work. For example, my job is making widgets and I work at NAS Pax. That's why no one says "job" when they are talking about where they work or who they are attached with.:smack:

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are still people working on Fridays. Everyone does not get furloughed on the same Friday and some even get it on Monday.

The general rule from NAVAIR was ALL employees would work Mon - Thur with Friday being the furlough day. Most divisions have redefined "core hours" as 8 to 4:30, with nobody allowed to work past 5PM.

Some exceptions have been made, but that's the guidance for all acquisition professionals. People supporting flight operations have staggered furlough days and are being authorized OT.

Contractor furlough impacts vary depending on funding. Some are allowed 36 hours of work, IF they can work from their off base office. Some are allowed to use leave.

The largest impact is the civil service acquisition people who are forced into the "perfect" furlough, 8 hours, 4 days a week - a true 20% reduction in pay. Cannot use leave, sick or annual, to compensate for the loss in pay.
Technically at 32 hours a week we are "part time" employees and should see a reduction in benefits as well. I have been "assured" that this will not be the case - however after we hit 10 furlough days we'll know for sure.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Mostly delayed the deployments and extended those already abroad. The sailors kept working, they were just working wherever they were instead of someplace else.

Actually one carrier group was not deployed, another was also withdrawn because they didn't have the money to refuel the carrier. So I think it's 2 groups that are off line.

CNO has also complained that he will not have the funds to do A/C maintenance in the 4th quarter of the FY.

But all military will get paid in full, there is no reduction in pay regardless of where they are stationed - even if it's a ship in dry dock.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Technically at 32 hours a week we are "part time" employees and should see a reduction in benefits as well. I have been "assured" that this will not be the case - however after we hit 10 furlough days we'll know for sure.

No, technically your status is still full-time career employee and as such you are entitled to a full-share contribution towards your FEHB benefits.
opm guidance for administrative furlough said:
Thus, as long as a full-time employee does not change to part-time career employment, the employee remains entitled to a full Government contribution and the proration does not apply even if the number of hours per pay period is reduced during the furlough to within 16-32 hours per week.