Kerry Cosponsored Bill Banning Gun He Waves

ylexot

Super Genius
This one from Drudge is pretty funny...

Was Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law?

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

ylexot said:
That makes TWO guns I won that this idiot would ban. One is an SKS that I use to defend myself from murdering pieces of paper and drug crazed soda cans. The other is a 1914 Remington Model 11 autoloading shotgun (forerunner to the one in K@##y's hands) that my great grandfather used to put food on the family table during the depression.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's true folks...

...Senator Kerry is out there waving around 'assault weapons'.

We'll face a day, like Russia, when a group of folks take over a school and the cops will need manpower, armed manpower, and all of a sudden stupid things like disarming law abiding citizens will seem just so...stupid.

Larry Gude said:
...Senator Kerry is out there waving around 'assault weapons'.

We'll face a day, like Russia, when a group of folks take over a school and the cops will need manpower, armed manpower, and all of a sudden stupid things like disarming law abiding citizens will seem just so...stupid.
Or a day when criminals will try to murder us using bows and arrows instead of guns, just like the criminal over in Australia who lured his victim out into the outback and then shot him in the cell phone with a cross bow.

Gun bans work. They take the guns from the law abiding people trying to protect themselves, laeving them as fodder for the lawless cretins.

mizzle

In the hizzle
First off, I dont support Kerry and despise the AWB, however the gun he is waving does not have a pistol grip.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
mizz...

...you are right but you can get that very weapon, but in pump only (I think) with a nasty, mean ol' assault weapon pistol grip!

It kills people when they look at it.

mizzle

In the hizzle
Larry Gude said:
...you are right but you can get that very weapon, but in pump only (I think) with a nasty, mean ol' assault weapon pistol grip!

It kills people when they look at it.

The point Drudge is trying to make is pretty shady.... The bill Kerry was for would have banned any semi-auto shot gun with a pistol grip, those who have above average knowledge of guns knows that the gun he is holding doesnt have a "true" pistol grip, however the bill describes a pistol grip as " a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." Which is completely ridiculious. Besides, you can easily modify most shotguns to have a pistol grip, a lot of kits can be bought on ebay for less than $20.00.

mizzle said:
First off, I dont support Kerry and despise the AWB, however the gun he is waving does not have a pistol grip.
If you had read the Drudge report in the link, you would have seen

"Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the "pistol grip," as loosely defined in the bill. [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii) and (b)(42): "The term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."] "

In other words, under the badly written bill that he co-sponsored, any grip that functions as a "grip" makes a semi-auto shotgun an assault weapon. The most liberal of politicians (and judges) can argue that ANY shotgun stock can be considered a "grip" since you hold it (grip it) to hold the gun.

mizzle said:
The bill Kerry was for would have banned any semi-auto shot gun with a pistol grip, those who have above average knowledge of guns knows that the gun he is holding doesnt have a "true" pistol grip, however the bill describes a pistol grip as " a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." Which is completely ridiculious.
Precisely the point of the people that lobbied against it. Also exactly the reason the lib's wrote it that way. If it had snuck through, they could have banned EVERY SINGLE SEMI-AUTO FIREARM!
mizzle said:
Besides, you can easily modify most shotguns to have a pistol grip, a lot of kits can be bought on ebay for less than $20.00.
Yes, just like folding stocks for SKS and other "assualt weapons". You can buy them at any gunshow or out of any catalog, and owning them is legal, but INSTALLING them on your gun is illegal under the CURRENT gun ban.

Last edited:
mizzle said:
I did read it, see my post above.

"however the bill describes a pistol grip as " a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." Which is completely ridiculious." -Mizzle
You and I were replying at the same time.

Gooseneck

Kerry: "I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

What the heck did he mean by that?

ylexot

Super Genius
I just don't see how the point Drudge is making is in any way "shady". If anything is "shady", it is the legislation.

Gooseneck said:
Kerry: "I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

What the heck did he mean by that?
Sounds like a threat against the life of the President to me, somebody alert the Secret Service!

mizzle

In the hizzle
huntr1 said:
You and I were replying at the same time.

yeah, I just deleted mine.... I think we can agree that the definition of a pistol grip in Kerry's ban was idiotic.

mizzle

In the hizzle
ylexot said:
I just don't see how the point Drudge is making is in any way "shady". If anything is "shady", it is the legislation.

I first thought it was shady, because when I looked at the gun I could clearly see that the gun he held did not have a pistol. I then read the article more closely and read the description the ban gave as a pistol grip (see earlier post) According to Kerry's ban...the gun he held would have been banned. So, no the report is not shady, I just didnt realize how stupid the ban was.

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, ok. Yeah, while I was reading the article, I saw it saying that the legislation banned pistol grips. My immediate thought was "that gun doesn't have a pistol grip". Then they clarified and pointed to the ambiguity in the legislation. I wonder if the legislation was ambiguous on purpose...

B

Bruzilla

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! We must keep the AWB!!! It has allowed thousands and thousands of law abiding citizens to purchase parts weapons that would have otherwise been unavailable or too expensive! Without the AWB, I would have had to pay $1500 for an FNFAL instead of $390 for an L1A1; I would have been forced to pay $1400 for an H&K-91 instead of $400 for a G-3. Think of all the dozens of new AR-15 makers who were formed as a result of the AWB? It is my dearest hope that if the AWB is continued, some companies will begin importing and making M-14/M-1A parts rifles so that I can buy one for $400 vice 1700.

ylexot

Super Genius
Kerry Campaign Rebuts...

"The facts are clear. John Kerry opposes banning this gun and always will. John Kerry was proud to receive this union-made gun at the United Mine Workers Labor Day picnic in Racine, West Virginia."

Actually, as has been discussed here, the legislation he cosponsored is unclear.