Keystone Cops Shoot Own...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Authorities promised a full investigation Tuesday into why deputies riddled a sport utility vehicle and a Compton neighborhood with 120 bullets after the driver led them on a chase, wounding an unarmed driver and possibly striking a deputy.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050510/D8A0C6R00.html

120 rounds.

1 hit a cop
4 hit the target
5 hit houses
110 hit...???

Cops need, in addition to titanic amounts of trigger time, the authority to shoot engines. One round, ONE from a properly trained officer with the correct handgun could have ended this peacefully, with no property damage other than the perps car, no trips to the hospital or morgue, no upset citizens with shot up houses and no stunning embrassment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
no upset citizens with shot up houses
Yeah, because Compton residents are just so unfamiliar with shootings and violence. :rolleyes:

They were making a big deal about this on MSNBC this morning - how these terrible policemen shot an unarmed man. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: No mention of the chase or the crack, just made it sound like these bad cops opened fire on this guy for no reason.

I would love to see these whiners take a trip to the 'hood and be confronted with some crackhead. We'll see how sympathetic they are then.

ylexot

Super Genius
vraiblonde said:
Yeah, because Compton residents are just so unfamiliar with shootings and violence. :rolleyes:

They were making a big deal about this on MSNBC this morning - how these terrible policemen shot an unarmed man. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: No mention of the chase or the crack, just made it sound like these bad cops opened fire on this guy for no reason.

I would love to see these whiners take a trip to the 'hood and be confronted with some crackhead. We'll see how sympathetic they are then.
:yeahthat:
Hayes told deputies that he had used crack cocaine and had driven around the neighborhood for hours before deputies tried to stop him, Baca said.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
???

vraiblonde said:

The point is just how BAD these cops shoot and just how badly they lost control and started spraying and praying. They screwed up big time.

Now this 'victim' is gonna be headline news for months, we'll see this clip in our sleep and he's gonna get millions and so forth.

None of this would have happened if these guys were trained properly.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
The point is just how BAD these cops shoot and just how badly they lost control and started spraying and praying. They screwed up big time.
The video this morning looked like they lit that Tahoe up good.

The dude would have gotten millions anyway. Black criminal, white cops - might as well shoot him because you're going to be sued even if you just slap cuffs on him and take him to jail.

:cynical:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bs...

Internal affairs investigators are trying to determine whether the gunfire was a case of "contagious fire," meaning that some deputies incorrectly believed their colleagues' shots were coming from the suspect, prompting them to open fire.

Every one of these guys needs a BUNCH of training.

It didn't 'prompt' them. If they did not know where the shots were coming from then they freaked, lost control and opened up.

Mikeinsmd

Larry Gude said:
Every one of these guys needs a BUNCH of training.
It didn't 'prompt' them. If they did not know where the shots were coming from then they freaked, lost control and opened up.
Give em a break LG. The suspects were driving 35 mph!!!! I would have opened up too!! :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't care if the guy was going 2 mph...

Mikeinsmd said:
Give em a break LG. The suspects were driving 35 mph!!!! I would have opened up too!! :lmao:

...if they felt the need to use force, fine, they were there, not me, but come on. These guys act like it's a video game.

TRAINING!!!

Cletus_Vandam

Larry Gude said:
Cops need, in addition to titanic amounts of trigger time, the authority to shoot engines. One round, ONE from a properly trained officer with the correct handgun could have ended this peacefully

One shot with a hand gun to a cast iron engine block? What kind of gun are you wanting to cops to carry? Your typical .40 SW, 9 mil, or even a .45 isn't going to stop an engine in its tracks. Sure you can go for the radiator and hope it overheats in a half hour or so, but otherwise shooting an engine block with a handgun is going to be about a effective as shooting the driver with a paper clip shot from a rubber band... (IMO)

Now if that one shot you are referring to was to the head of the driver, we're talking about a whole (or hole) new scenerio....

Not trying to divert away from the fact these guys need to go the range.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

Cletus_Vandam said:
One shot with a hand gun to a cast iron engine block? What kind of gun are you wanting to cops to carry? Your typical .40 SW, 9 mil, or even a .45 isn't going to stop an engine in its tracks. Sure you can go for the radiator and hope it overheats in a half hour or so, but otherwise shooting an engine block with a handgun is going to be about a effective as shooting the driver with a paper clip shot from a rubber band... (IMO)

Now if that one shot you are referring to was to the head of the driver, we're talking about a whole (or hole) new scenerio....

Not trying to divert away from the fact these guys need to go the range.

Desert Eagle .44 with an armor piercing round.

Cletus_Vandam

LA must have a ton of coin laying around to outfit their officers with a $1500 hand gun, not to mention the rounds....

I would agree though. That would put a hurt on an engine.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

Cletus_Vandam said:
LA must have a ton of coin laying around to outfit their officers with a $1500 hand gun, not to mention the rounds....

I would agree though. That would put a hurt on an engine.

...let's look at this from a business standpoint.

How many sheriffs? 100? 1,000? They're already spending maybe $600-800 or so each, right? So, 1,000 times say $700 is $700,000.

The ammo costs more to but again, just do some math.

Now, what do they, the county, lay out per year to settle various claims arising from chases including increased insurance premiums? Damage done by the perp because the cops made him do it, damage done by the cops. Emotional trauma.

Now, add in some sort of value by having better law enforcement. How many LESS chases will there be because some poor alter boy decides he ain't gonna run because he ain't gonna get away and therefore ain't gonna commit the crime that led to the chase in the first place.

All of a sudden, better equipment and training pays for itself.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If it was me...

Cletus_Vandam said:
Heck, if you're going to go for the Desert Eagle, go for the .50!!!

Now you're talking!

...I'd have snipers in helicopters. they've got the best shot anyway.

It is pure insanity to me to let people run.

Warron

Larry Gude said:
It is pure insanity to me to let people run.

If police can safely pursue and capture a suspect without hurting anyone else, I am all for it. But if the police are doing more damage then the person they are trying to catch, then they are not doing their job and might as well let the guy get away.

But then again, we could always go back to the Dillinger days where the police shot into a crowd hitting 7 bystanders to take him down and he didn’t even have a gun in his hand.